Mizzou Open Japanese Literature Singles

Old college threads.
Auroni
Auron

Mizzou Open Japanese Literature Singles

Post by Auroni »

I'm writing a Japanese Literature Singles side-tournament for the Mizzou Open weekend along with Joe Hansen from Minnesota. The idea is to scrounge the ends of the canon and then some. The plan is to have six rounds of fifteen tossups each, and if I end up needing to write more than that, then six full rounds. I'll probably make the cost like $5 per team. Who's tentatively interested?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Mizzou Open Japanese Literature Singles

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I will play.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Tentatively interested, you say? Why, that's precisely how I'd describe myself!
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Seriously? At least make it like, all Asian lit or something. I love Japanese lit but getting 90 tossups would just get absurd, so absurd that I really can't tell if this thread is serious or not. I'm all for a bit of absurdity in side events, but I don't think that should be the focus.

Also, I find 15 tossup rounds just underwhelming (I know Ted and I were discussing this at MO lit). Perhaps you might consider making this all Asian literature (surely Kyle could chip in 5 tossups on Palestinian poetry) with 20 tossup rounds?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, I generally agree with the expansion of the answer set possible for this event. I think having a short all asian lit event would be more interesting (or maybe perhaps some expansion could go on that lets you increase it to 20 tossup packets). There's plenty of cool things like national epics, middle eastern writing, India, and some of those other crazy places out there that a very entertaining tournament could be produced.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'm interested in playing in this event if I go to the Mizzou Open.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Yeah, I generally agree with the expansion of the answer set possible for this event. I think having a short all asian lit event would be more interesting (or maybe perhaps some expansion could go on that lets you increase it to 20 tossup packets). There's plenty of cool things like national epics, middle eastern writing, India, and some of those other crazy places out there that a very entertaining tournament could be produced.
Yeah, I will add my support to this suggestion. Pan-Asian would be more enjoyable for everyone and would cut down on the unanswerably hard tossups that will inevitably needed to fill out 90.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Okay, so the following changes have been made. The tournament is pan-Asian with Japanese focus (as in, 60% of tossups will be Japanese lit). We'll have six full rounds of tossups as well as a packet of completely fucking impossible tossups. I won't grade each packet by increasing difficulty, but there will be familiar things and things that have only come up as clues (but should be fair game). I'll be scrounging the ends of the canon, but not any further.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

this is gonna rock so hard
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I'm sorry that I won't be able to help you in any major way, but I will definitely send you some tossups if contributions are welcome.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

aestheteboy wrote:I'm sorry that I won't be able to help you in any major way, but I will definitely send you some tossups if contributions are welcome.
I'll add you to the google doc.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

This set won't be finished by 6/6, the date of most Mizzou Open sites, because at this point of time I have realized that we'll be writing many more editor's packets than we had imagined. I'm planning to finish this set, however, and perhaps have even more rounds of it done and ready for hosting at somepoint next season. We'll see.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)