ACF Winter Mid-Atlantic @ JS Reynolds CC (Richmond) 1/17/09

Old college threads.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Re: ACF Winter Mid-Atlantic @ JS Reynolds CC (Richmond) 1/17/09

Post by aestheteboy »

After this tournament, I'm ready to say without hesitation that Gov is the best high school team in the nation right now. . . . with all due respect to Charter and State College.

The tournament was pretty fun, although it was somewhat more difficult than I had expected. I hope my screw-up didn't affect people's experience too much. I enjoyed playing a lot of games with teams of similar strength. It's exciting when most of the games are meaningful and competitive, which is often not true at high school tournaments.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

So, the final results, now that I've got a couple stiff drinks in me.

Maryland won outright (as I think I mentioned before), and VCU defeated Maggie Walker in a one-game final to win 2nd overall and the undergrad championship. Maggie Walker won the D2 title.

I'll have final status up soon, I need to finish entering a few rounds.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
The Goffman Prophecies

aestheteboy wrote:The tournament was pretty fun, although it was somewhat more difficult than I had expected. I hope my screw-up didn't affect people's experience too much.
I wouldn't worry about this too much; it's not the first time it happened and I'm sure it won't be the last. That being said, I think you did us a little bit of a favor, because if we hadn't burned that packet, we'd have been sitting around a little while longer while we broke the 4-way tie using half packets rather than on paper. Things ran late enough as they did.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

I wonder who this Wonpyo Hong is...he got 6 tossups against Maryland A while Daichi didn't get any!

Also, is there any reason why the stats aren't split up between prelims and playoffs as far as I can tell?
The lower bracket did play different teams...
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19
The Goffman Prophecies

Fixed.

As for the split prelim/playoff stats, it's going to have to wait until I get back in town in a few days.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

aestheteboy wrote:After this tournament, I'm ready to say without hesitation that Gov is the best high school team in the nation right now. . . . with all due respect to Charter and State College.
Thanks Daichi. This team is capable of having some impressive rounds at times, as in the two rounds you played us yesterday. But, we are not consistently that amazing. In some games we look more ordinary, like in the final two games at TJ last week. It really seems to be packet dependent with this team. We desperately need a reliable person for our empty chair, and more knowledge and confidence in the math/science area.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I just want to note how continually impressed I am by the high schoolers who have now become regular figures on the mid-Atlantic college circuit. I mean this only peripherally in terms of performance (which is in itself quite laudable), but more centrally that you guys have such commitment to the game and such a disregard for the winning trophies mentality that the high school game on the whole continues to struggle to overcome (although, again, you guys are hardly bereft of hardware at collegiate events for the year). I certainly look forward to seeing you on the circuit for a long time.

EDIT: words
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
The Goffman Prophecies

Apologies for the delay in getting these completely up, but here's the full stats for the tournament:

Prelims
Playoffs
Combined

I also want to thank everyone who helped out at any point throughout the day, including but not limited to Matt Weiner, Andrew Feist, Matt Morrison, George Berry, Gautham Premkumar, Amanda Hartman, Janet Sheppard and all the teams who agreed to help staff during their bye rounds to help keep things moving when it started getting late.

I also want to post my own public apology for the way things ran on Saturday. It was clear early on that the tournament was not running as fast as it should have, and I failed to take action early enough in the day to prevent a significant impact to the tournament's ending time. I want to thank all of the teams that stuck around until the end, and I regret that the one team could not.

That being said, I too was incredibly impressed by the competitiveness among all the teams, especially by the high school teams. Walter Johnson and Maggie Walker both impressed me greatly, and I look forward to their continued presence on the circuit.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS