ANNOUNCEMENT: T-Party Mirror at Lawrence - 12/7/08

Old college threads.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: T-Party Mirror at Lawrence - 12/7/08

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Matt Weiner wrote:Logically, you should be able to play a 12-game quadruple RR on the non-submitted packets, then use up to two packets written by teams not involved in the final to play a final. There should even be an additional blind packet to play off ties, if I'm reading the intentions of Harvard correctly.
Yes, I believe that this will work, with some planning.
Andrew Watkins

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

Matt Weiner wrote:Logically, you should be able to play a 12-game quadruple RR on the non-submitted packets, then use up to two packets written by teams not involved in the final to play a final. There should even be an additional blind packet to play off ties, if I'm reading the intentions of Harvard correctly.
I do have a house team that would like to play... Then again, I suppose it's only one more packet to do a 5-team RR to kill off a packet bye, then a 3RR without the house team. And that'd give them four games.
Cheynem wrote:Awesome. We could all just sit in one room and all play together.
Well, Mike, if there's interest and buzzer systems, we might have an extra packet...

Andy - Has Illinois submitted a packet, or is Rob Carson's MN team the only team that'll submit? Also, are you using Mike Cheyne's 5/5?

If so, I suddenly have only one team submitting, but people on that team having written for two packets.
(House team for two round robins = 15 packets... house team for one round robin = 14 packets... tricky.)
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

No, you don't play house teams when it creates unnecessary byes or makes the whole schedule more difficult to pull off. That's not how this works.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

That house team might have a chance to play under the 5-team RR, as Michigan will almost certainly have to pull out of this tournament, for reasons I explained to Greg via e-mail. Many apologies, and best of luck with this tourney.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13

setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Matt Weiner wrote:No, you don't play house teams when it creates unnecessary byes or makes the whole schedule more difficult to pull off. That's not how this works.
I think Greg is looking at adding a house team so he can use non-blind packets. If there are 2 or 3 (or more) non-blind packets for Greg's field in the set, I think adding a house team for one RR is fine; I wouldn't bother doing it to use up 1 non-blind packet, and I certainly wouldn't do it for two RRs just to use up two non-blind packets from the same team.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President and Chief Editor, NAQT
Emeritus member, ACF

Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Illinois is not submitting a packet. Minnesota A & B are both submitting packets. Mike Cheyne's 5/5 is being used in one of the mishmash packets consisting of the smaller freelance submissions. So you will have 14 packets that are blind to everyone.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

theMoMA wrote:I'm not sure who has told you that Minnesota is writing two packets. That was the initial plan, but the second team didn't really coalesce until very recently and it doesn't look like we're going to get anything together. Rob's team is still planning to write, I think.
I think we'll have two non-blind packets... from the same team... in the entire tournament. But that means we'll have 15 blind packets if there's 17 in the set.

So I guess I could run a QRR with 12 blind packets, then ACF final if needed. Still no word from St. Olaf... If they do, in fact, drop, we're looking at a profit of about ninety dollars from this tournament. Jeez.

Even if we end up running Illinois, House, Minnesota, Minnesota, though, that should be a good tournament in terms of quality games played.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

That's the spirit, Greg! Accentuate the positive!

If my 5/5 somehow becomes an issue (which I doubt), I could just sit out/read that packet. None of my teammates has seen my freelance 5/5.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

theMoMA wrote:I'm not sure who has told you that Minnesota is writing two packets. That was the initial plan, but the second team didn't really coalesce until very recently and it doesn't look like we're going to get anything together. Rob's team is still planning to write, I think.
Rob said repeatedly that we were getting two packets, unless I misread things like "yes." We'll see what we can do.
Andrew Watkins

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

everyday847 wrote:
Rob said repeatedly that we were getting two packets, unless I misread things like "yes." We'll see what we can do.
Yeah, I'm sorry that I seem to have accidentally misled you about this. I found out that our other team wasn't submitting at the same time you did.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

Current plan: quad round robin with four teams, mACF final, some kind of drafted all star game if there's interest.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

What are the final four teams?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

Minnesota A, Minnesota B, St. Olaf*, and Illinois.

I've received no confirmation from St. Olaf in the last week, but I've also had no word that they're NOT coming. I have a house team ready to take their place if they drop, though.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

Minnesota and Illinois, remember, I need your license plate numbers so you can park. Also, contact phone numbers are always great with a tourney this small. petersogATlawrenceDAHTedu.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

Oh, and Tryg, you only need to bring one buzzer.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

We won't have our license plate numbers until Saturday because we're renting cars.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

theMoMA wrote:We won't have our license plate numbers until Saturday because we're renting cars.
K. Just drop me an email or call me when you get them.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

About ten minutes ago, I received an email from St. Olaf - they will not be coming.

:aaa:

Final field is Illinois, Minnesota x 2, House. Final format is quad round robin with mACF final with possible allstar game or something if we feel like it.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

The first incarnation of the Lawrence University Fall Tournament finished about twenty minutes ago.

Results:
1. Moneysota It Greases The Palm (11-1, 21.48 PPB)
2. Illinois (7-5, 18.84 PPB)
3. Moneysota It Feathers A Nest (6-6, 18.62)
4. House (0-12, 7.24 PPB)

High scorer was Mike Sorice at 87.08, who also received a copy of Undercover Virgin as the neg prize. Number two was Brendan Byrne.

Fun was had by all, and stats will be had by you if you click here.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Greg: Thanks for hosting this and for doing a good job with the logistics. Obviously one would like to have more teams, but most of the matches our team played in were of very high quality. Things moved along nicely with a lot of games being played.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused »

No prob, Mike - for a first tournament hosted, it went pretty well.

A few thanks are in order, though: to Andy Watkins for putting in a crazy amount of effort to produce a tournament that was much better than he said it was; to the rest of the Harvard squad for co-editing; to my fellow moderator Richard Wanerman; to Emily, Meghan, Michael, and James, who formed a house team on about three days' notice; to Lily Chen for producing her excellent scoresheet program; to Catherine Albright for running an efficient stats room despite suffering a migraine the night before and being taught how to use SQBS that morning; and last but not least, to Minnesota and Illinois for playing.

I'm already trying to find a date for WAFL, the Winter Academic Festival at Lawrence, partly because this went well, but mostly because otherwise the LUFT acronym for this one doesn't really make sense.

Also, thanks to anyone that I just forgot to thank.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07