21%
After ACF Winter (after Feb. 28/Mar. 1)
7%

Total votes: 14

Eärendil
Wakka

Date pick: 2009 Cardinal Classic XVIII

Post by Eärendil »

(apologies to Andy Watkins for blatantly copying off of his Harvard International post)

The 2009 Cardinal Classic XVIII: subtitle to be determined will be happening sometime in February 2009. I'll be TDing the event and Brian Lindquist will be returning as head editor. A more formal announcement will come sometime next month once the date is set, which happens to be the purpose of this post.

Last year's turnout at Cardinal Classic was nothing short of phenomenal and we'd love to have that kind of attendance again for the next incarnation. We're soliciting opinions from the community at large to see what you guys think would be a good date to hold this on. Also, by announcing this well in advance, teams will hopefully be able to get cheap tickets and actually make it out here. If you're interested in hosting a mirror of this, we'd like to hear from you too.

I've mentioned elsewhere on this board that Cardinal Classic will be interested in holding side tournaments this year, and that's still true. Yogesh has volunteered to write another movies tournament, and I think we can squeeze in another event. If anyone's interested, please post here.

My own personal choice is the Feb. 14/15, which is Presidents' Day Weekend. I think this date works well because it allows us the option of splitting the main event over two days (Saturday/Sunday), particularly since last year's tournament went pretty late. It also allows any of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night for side tournaments, and that still leaves teams with the option of flying back Monday in relative comfort. Teams could probably save more by flying in on Thursday (2/12) as well. One objection to this date that some of the Stanford team brought up was the fact that Feb. 14 is Valentine's Day. I'm particularly interested in knowing how much this would deter teams. I brought this up to a few people at Chicago Open and it didn't seem like much of an impediment, but that could be sample size error.
Arnav // Stanford University
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: Date pick: 2009 Cardinal Classic XVIII

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Isn't SCT on the 14th?
Andrew Watkins
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Feb. 7/8 for sure. This is probably the optimal time for UCSD to arrive because we need some spacing (our mirror of HC prison bowl will be before this, with SCT probably immediately after)
Auroni Gupta (she/they)
UIUC
ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

everyday847 wrote:Isn't SCT on the 14th?
To my knowledge, SCT has not been announced yet (which is getting kind of inconvenient as various other events try to schedule for the spring). I'd support Cardinal Classic being on the 7th and would try to be there if so.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Matt Weiner wrote:
To my knowledge, SCT has not been announced yet (which is getting kind of inconvenient as various other events try to schedule for the spring). I'd support Cardinal Classic being on the 7th and would try to be there if so.
Gotcha. My source is a KHF email telling me that I can't host SCT (skewering my plans to do so??) because the school is hosting a high school debate tournament and there literally will be no rooms free.
Andrew Watkins
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

As someone who will not need to purchase an airplane ticket to attend, I don't really have a date preference, and will almost certainly be there regardless of date.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I'm saying the SCT is on the 7th because: a) it was on the 7th in 2004; and b) R. didn't respond to the contrary in his reply when I mentioned the 7th as the date in the Canadian groups.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Official word is that they're currently considering the 7th. I'll hear tomorrow for sure.
Andrew Watkins
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

Hey Andy, any update on this?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I have been told that February 7 is the official SCT date.
Matt Weiner
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Eärendil wrote:Hey Andy, any update on this?
Oh, whoops. Yeah, I should have mentioned. I heard from R at 1:22pm that next day, as opposed to "that morning" as I had been promised--a travesty for sure--and so I forgot to post about it.
Andrew Watkins
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, just wondering if anyone had picked from what look like the remaining dates (Feb 14 and 21) for this. I and VCU are considering coming but we also want to do a high school tournament in February that needs to be scheduled pretty soon, so we want to avoid a conflict.
Matt Weiner
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

Right now we're leaning towards the 14th. An official date claim should be coming soon.