Cancelled: Hoosier Open at Indiana, 2/21/2009

Old college threads.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Cancelled: Hoosier Open at Indiana, 2/21/2009

Post by leapfrog314 »

This is an announcement for Indiana University's first annual mACF tournament, the Hoosier Open, which will be held at Indiana University Bloomington on February 21, 2009. The HO will be approximately ACF Fall difficulty, and will be packet submission.

The tournament directors are Carlo Angiuli ([email protected]) and Nick Matchen ([email protected]).

Fee structure:

$100 Base fee.

-$5 Buzzer discount.
-$10 Moderator discount.
-$10 Travel discount for > 200 miles one way, per Google Maps.
-$10n Additional team discount for (n-1)st team. (The second team from a school gets -$10, the third team gets -$20, etc.)

Packet submitted by 1/21: -$25
Packet submitted by 1/31: No discount or penalty.
Packet submitted by 2/7: +$25
Packet submitted by 2/14: +$50 and great anger (No Valentine's Day for you! Write write write.)

Minimum fee: $50

Packet guidelines:

Tossups should be 5-6 lines or so in 10-pt TNR, 1" margins, using standard formatting. Packets will follow the standard distribution:

Literature 5/5
History 5/5
Science 5/5
Religion, Mythology and Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Social Science 1/1
Geography 1/1
Trash, current events, or your choice 1/1

If your questions are substantially above or below Fall difficulty, you will have to revise your packet, subject to late penalties and angry glares.

Let us know if you are interested in mirroring this tournament, writing a freelance packet, etc. We hope to see you there!
Last edited by leapfrog314 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carlo Angiuli, Indiana University
Director, Aegis Questions, Inc.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Announcement: Hooser Open at Indiana, 11/22/2008

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hooser Open?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Announcement: Hoosier Open at Indiana, 11/22/2008

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, is there any chance this will be mirrored (particularly, mirrored somewhere in the nieghborhood of the Mid-Atlantic region)? That would be cool and stuff.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Chris, nobody has contacted us yet about mirroring this tournament, but we'd be very interested in making that happen.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Hey, please shoot me an email ([email protected]) ASAP if you are at least considering attending this tournament. We have heard from very few teams, and unless that changes, we will end up cancelling this.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Attention:

Due to many teams agreeing that our original date does not work very well for them, including Indiana, the Hoosier Open is being relocated to some date in spring semester. I was originally thinking to move it to the weekend before ACF Winter, but that's January 10 and we're still on winter break. I know Penn Bowl is on January 24, but would there be major problems rescheduling to that date? (Alternatively, is there a better date anyone can suggest?)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Why not just write some packets for/mirror Penn Bowl?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

leapfrog314 wrote:Attention:

Due to many teams agreeing that our original date does not work very well for them, including Indiana, the Hoosier Open is being relocated to some date in spring semester. I was originally thinking to move it to the weekend before ACF Winter, but that's January 10 and we're still on winter break. I know Penn Bowl is on January 24, but would there be major problems rescheduling to that date? (Alternatively, is there a better date anyone can suggest?)
I favor Chris's suggestion, since I know I wouldn't consider going to a non Penn Bowl tournament on Penn Bowl weekend, since Penn Bowl will almost inevitably be a better set and better competition. And Penn Bowl can probably always use some more packets.
Andrew Watkins
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Mmm... Isn't that kind of close to Pennsylvania?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

I am somewhat interested in mirroring Penn Bowl, though I would also like to actually edit a tournament. Of course, we don't have to hold HO on January 24th; is there some better date later in spring semester?

At any rate, we're a full 700 miles (12 hour drive) from Philadelphia, so I can't imagine any teams going to Penn Bowl actually being interested in traveling to IU?
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

Constantin Constantius wrote:Mmm... Isn't that kind of close to Pennsylvania?
I don't know -- the only active schools I can think of within an 8 hour drive of Philly that would be closer to Bloomington would be us and (just barely) CWRU. For lots of reasons I doubt Penn Bowl is going to happen for us so I, for one, welcome this possibility.

Looking at last year's Penn Bowl results I don't see any teams within 8 hours of Bloomington. I highly doubt that this mirror would take any teams away from Penn.

And hey! Carlo made this point too!
Brian Saxton, The Ohio State University '12 (I hope)
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

PaladinQB wrote:Looking at last year's Penn Bowl results I don't see any teams within 8 hours of Bloomington. I highly doubt that this mirror would take any teams away from Penn.
Hi.

We would probably consider attending this tournament if it didn't conflict with anything else. Obviously, if it was a mirror of Penn Bowl or on the same weekend, we would not come.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Proposal II:

Move HO to February 14. That's the weekend after NAQT SCT, and two weekends before ACF Regionals. (Alternatively, mirror Penn Bowl on January 24.)

As a side benefit, anyone who attends would be guaranteed to have a HO on Valentine's Day.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

leapfrog314 wrote:Proposal II:

Move HO to February 14. That's the weekend after NAQT SCT, and two weekends before ACF Regionals. (Alternatively, mirror Penn Bowl on January 24.)

As a side benefit, anyone who attends would be guaranteed to have a HO on Valentine's Day.
I can dig this. I was actually seriously considering bringing a team to Penn Bowl, so my vote is that you don't hold HO on the same date. As Brian said, there are probably only a couple schools (us, OSU, and CMU) who would seriously consider going to both, so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I know that having it on a later date would be ideal, especially for those three teams.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

This tournament has been rescheduled for February 14, 2009. We apologize if this inconveniences anybody, but the new date is better for most people, including ourselves. If somebody could change the thread name to reflect the new date, that would be great.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

leapfrog314 wrote:This tournament has been rescheduled for February 14, 2009. We apologize if this inconveniences anybody, but the new date is better for most people, including ourselves. If somebody could change the thread name to reflect the new date, that would be great.
If I'm not mistaken, Cardinal Classic is around that date. Maybe you guys should work together to write packets for that or something.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Eärendil
Wakka

Re: Announcement: Hoosier Open at Indiana, 2/14/2009

Post by Eärendil »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
leapfrog314 wrote:This tournament has been rescheduled for February 14, 2009. We apologize if this inconveniences anybody, but the new date is better for most people, including ourselves. If somebody could change the thread name to reflect the new date, that would be great.
If I'm not mistaken, Cardinal Classic is around that date. Maybe you guys should work together to write packets for that or something.
The self-same date, actually. My apologies for not having a formal announcement out by now, but there was definitely a date-claim notion here. Carlo, I'm sending you an e-mail to see if we can't work this out.

EDIT: It doesn't seem like we'll able to resolve this conflict. However, we may like to mirror HO on Sunday, after Cardinal Classic.
Arnav // Stanford University
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Is this tournament still going down??
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

swwFCqb wrote:Is this tournament still going down??
I am wondering this as well. Carlo?
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Yeah, sorry Nick and I haven't really said anything else about this tournament -- it's still scheduled to take place, and we'll be sending out more information about it soon, including actually posting deadlines...sorry!
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Final packet deadlines are up. It would be really helpful to us if you could shoot us an email if you're thinking of attending, just so we know about how many teams to expect.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

DumbJaques wrote:Hey, is there any chance this will be mirrored (particularly, mirrored somewhere in the neighborhood of the Mid-Atlantic region)? That would be cool and stuff.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

DumbJaques wrote:Hey, is there any chance this will be mirrored (particularly, mirrored somewhere in the neighborhood of the Mid-Atlantic region)? That would be cool and stuff.
Nobody has asked to mirror this yet, but it would be cool if somebody did. Anyone?
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

leapfrog314 wrote:
Nobody has asked to mirror this yet, but it would be cool if somebody did. Anyone?
The problem is that Cardinal Classic is being mirrored everywhere on the same day; as much as I would like to play your tournament, I can't be in two places at once.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I'm in the same boat as Mukherjesus and (it would seem) plenty of others. Sorry Carlo.
Doug
Brandeis '17
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Should we reopen the "When should this tournament be held?" can of worms? February 21 has just opened up for our team due to likely rescheduling the NAQT Indiana State Qualifier. How is that date?
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

leapfrog314 wrote:Should we reopen the "When should this tournament be held?" can of worms? February 21 has just opened up for our team due to likely rescheduling the NAQT Indiana State Qualifier. How is that date?
Tentatively, better for us.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Rollapalooza is currently scheduled for February 21. However, we're having issues with room reservations on that day due to freshman orientation, and since NAQT Missouri is also running on our campus that day, a date swap might be best. I'd need to be able to finalize this in the next couple of days, though, so keep me updated as to what you decide.
Matt Chadbourne
Viburnum HS '04
Missouri S&T '09 and '11
Missouri Quizbowl Alliance member/president emeritus

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

This tournament has been re-rescheduled to February 21. Packet deadlines have been changed accordingly. Rollapalooza has traded dates with us, so now you can come to both! (Do it!)

Also, you should mirror this tournament, now that you won't be busy mirroring or attending Cardinal Classic on the same date!
leapfrog314
Wakka

Re: Announcement: Hoosier Open at Indiana, 2/21/2009

Post by leapfrog314 »

Hey everyone,

I regret to announce that Hoosier Open is being canceled. While I'd really like to host this tournament, I honestly don't see any way the tournament could end successfully. Three weeks before the tournament, I have received only one definite confirmation of attendance, have received no packets, and no packets have been promised before February 7. One person has contacted me about mirroring the tournament, but he is also unable to provide packets.

Coupled with the fact that Nick and I have been pretty busy finishing up some high school packets, there is just no way we'd be able to pull off a moderately good tournament, and I'd rather cancel it now, before we've received any packets or made any mirroring agreements.

Sorry again for the inconvenience.
theMoMA

Re: Cancelled: Hoosier Open at Indiana, 2/21/2009

Post by theMoMA »

Carlo, I hope you guys aren't discouraged from trying to edit an event in the future. In my experience, Fall semester is generally less crowded with events, so that might be a time to explore editing an event next year. If you'd be interested in mirroring MUT, you could still host a tournament this semester (MUT will be available on 3/7).
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum