Player movement, retirement, etc.

Old college threads.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Player movement, retirement, etc.

Post by vandyhawk »

I guess this is as good a time as any to start this annual thread, especially since the writer and player rankings threads have hinted at this topic. Vanderbilt will take quite a hit for next year, losing all 3 top scorers from our ICT team, and obviously then the "whole" ACF team. Tyler Ritchie's brief, but productive career as a solid supporting player has ended with his graduation - he won't be doing any more school, at least anytime soon. Paul Gauthier graduated, and is going to U Chicago next year to study Assyriology. As if Chicago needs more good players, Paul will indeed plan to keep playing. Then there's me - so as to avoid Weiner's Law #2, I'll say I'm going into semi-retirement. I really want to finish my PhD in the next year, and I've had a long-standing agreement with my wife that I would be (pretty much) done with quizbowl if I hadn't finished my degree in the ideal 5 year span. I'm not planning to disappear, but it's doubtful I'll play for Vandy again. I'll read for tournaments hosted here, maybe go to an open tournament or two when I can, and possibly play a small role in writing/editing things, like for CO where I'm just doing a couple areas of science.

Vandy certainly shouldn't fall off the map next year though. Jack Hartz is around to lead the team - he had a bit of a down tournament at ICT but is a good player. We had some solid freshmen this past year who continue to improve, and then next year Paul's little brother Greg will be here, and apprently one of the TJ A guys, though no idea if he plans to play or not.

So who else is moving on, and where are you going?
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: Player movement, retirement, etc.

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

You're getting Greg? Congrats.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'll be in Seattle and will likely continue to play open tournaments. It's possible that sometime in the near future I might enroll in some classes at the University of Washington or some other Seattle based university, so maybe my efforts will be as part of some school's team, but probably not (at least in the short term).

Brittany will be attending graduate school at the University of Washington. It's unlikely she will be part of the quizbowl team unless someone else converts it from a CBI team to a "real" quizbowl team.

Charles is going to the Middle East starting this summer, so he won't be playing quizbowl tournaments not hosted in the Middle East next year. I have no idea if he plans to continue playing on his return.

Casey will be teaching somewhere in the country, and will probably be involved in that school's high school team. I don't think he has plans to continue playing academic tournaments, but it's possible he'll continue to play trash tournaments.

Jonathan I think is taking a year off before becoming quizbowl's #1 pick in the grad school draft. I don't know how active he plans on being next year, but I imagine he'll still show up to some open tournaments.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I, having graduated (or rather who will be graduating Sunday) from Brandeis, will be taking a year off to work while I apply to law school, and during the year off I'll be in Knoxville, TN (a.k.a. "home"). I will probably go to a few opens, depending on money, and if someone needs a free agent for a Chattanooga or Nashville tournament I might be willing to show up.

I have no idea where I will wind up going for law school, but I do plan on playing some quizbowl while there, unless I have to start a team.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

As of now I will be at UNC law in the fall, unless Penn comes calling. Certainly for the first year it is unlikely that I will play very much, but you might see me at ACF nationals. I also won't be doing any editing next year, but after I get a feel for things we'll see (also dancing around Weiner's Law #2).
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

UGA is happy that of the 22 or so people we had this year we will only be losing three. Noah is going to law school at UVA, and he is the only ICT person of the three. Hopefully everybody will continue to come to practices next year.
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Although I didn't play much as an undergrad at that qb powerhouse Kent State, I will be playing at NAQT Sectionals and probably some open tournaments next year, as I am attending another qb powerhouse, Boise State (online).
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I'll be taking a year off after my graduation from UNC, and with the possible exception of the VCU Open, I probably won't have much involvement in quizbowl outside of the state of North Carolina. I'm planning to go to grad school for linguistics in the fall of '09; there's a good chance I'll be at least sort of active in any program my future school has, but I probably won't be creating one if it isn't there already.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

I graduated from Oklahoma State earlier this month. Have applied to law school at Tulsa and am waiting to hear back on financial aid, but it's looking like I'll be taking next year off. If I can scrounge together enough funds, will play NAQT and ACF with Angelo and the folks at TU.

For what it's worth, I'm the only person leaving OSU's D-I team. There were three other graduates this year, but they all played D-II, and didn't go to many tournaments. Two are going on to the "real world" and the third is going to grad school at Colorado State, which doesn't have a program as far as I know.

EDIT: TU decided to pony up on the financial aid, so I'll be playing ACF and NAQT with Angelo et al as my schedule allows.
Last edited by orangecrayon on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And I dream I'm on vacation/'Cause I like the way it sounds/It's the perfect occupation for me."

Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton
OSUQB president emerita
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

I'll still be at UL for the next two or three years. In addition, I've made some interesting recruiting moves, so our D-1 team should be fairly good next year if everything works out how I want it to. (I really hope it does...wish me luck, guys)

As far as players go, we're losing German Acuna to UT-Austin's computer science program.

Sorry to see you go, Matt -- it was a pleasure playing against you.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

DarkMatter wrote:I'll still be at UL for the next two or three years. In addition, I've made some interesting recruiting moves, so our D-1 team should be fairly good next year if everything works out how I want it to. (I really hope it does...wish me luck, guys)
Good luck.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

I too am going to UVA Law in the fall. I don't know how much quizbowl I'll play (if any).
Leo Wolpert
TJHSST '01
University of Michigan '05
UVA Law '11
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

I'll be going to Missouri State next year and will try to make it to a few tournaments.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Hi folks. Most of you probably don't remember me, or joined after my time, but I might as well throw my hat in the ring. Anyway, I'm Chris White, Swarthmore '05, and I'm finally heading back to grad school, getting a Masters in Urban Planning at Penn. It's highly unlikely that I'll be competing much if at all- three years off has killed most of my time, skill, and desire- but I wouldn't be surprised if I show up to something this year or next, and would in particular be happy to moderate at Penn Bowl if that still exists.

Also, I recently heard that the Swarthmore team started up again? (Yes, I just heard about this last month- I've been that out of the loop.) I'm really glad to hear that; now I don't have to be so bitter about the manner in which the team imploded a couple years ago. Definitely the best news I've heard in awhile.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Philippe (that guy who sometimes answers in French) has decided to go to Berkeley.

Tamara and Shauna have graduated, but may appear in open events.

I'm still sticking around: helping out the first and second-year players, acting as chaffeur, running some tournaments, etc.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

In case anyone is curious:

I changed my signature to reflect this, and some people have heard. I am transferring to the University of Minnesota starting for the fall 2008 semester. I will keep playing quiz bowl as well.

I am still an undergraduate, and am entering my junior year. I plan to be at the University of Minnesota for at least four semesters.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

wd4gdz wrote:
DarkMatter wrote:I'll still be at UL for the next two or three years. In addition, I've made some interesting recruiting moves, so our D-1 team should be fairly good next year if everything works out how I want it to. (I really hope it does...wish me luck, guys)
Good luck.
QFT. I promise not to play drunk anymore. Of all the people to wish me good luck...hmm...I just know Billy wants the best for my team. Well, thanks for the good wishes, buddy. We should have very many interesting meetings this year :p whenever they may be...
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired