MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Old college threads.
User avatar
pray for elves
Auron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: 20001

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by pray for elves »

Matt, in Hebrew the title is Moreh Nevuchim, which has no article at all and is usually translated as Guide to the Perplexed for whatever reason. Also, I think it was originally written in Judeo-Arabic and not pure Arabic, so you'd really need a scholar to answer that question (perhaps I could ask an expert here at Brandeis). Until that time, I'd always accept to] because it's a known translation that's in wide use in books I've read.

Trygve, I agree that the question length was fine, since it is a novice tournament.

About the Mike Sorice meta, I didn't mind it, but maybe next time throw in a few references to other quizbowlers instead of just six or seven references to Sorice.

The rest of my criticism was aired in the IRC, but I will summarize here: the Jew questions were not done well at all for the most part (which can happen if they're not edited by a Jew, and Illinois seems to have a much lower percentage of Jews on their team than most), there were a few individual questions that were not so good, and not to beat a dead horse, but copy editing made it very difficult to read for the one round where I did so, which happened to be the final for the novice division at Harvard (out of everyone there, the teams playing picked me for whatever reason).

EDIT: I edited this without having seen Matt respond, so note that the part of the first paragraph after the word "Also" was not there when he replied.
Last edited by pray for elves on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF

User avatar
Matt Weiner
Sin
Posts: 8413
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by Matt Weiner »

DeisEvan wrote:Matt, in Hebrew the title is Moreh Nevuchim, which has no article at all and is usually translated as Guide to the Perplexed.
Wasn't this work originally written in Arabic? I can certainly attest that, as a speaker of neither language, "Guide for the Perplexed" is the more common title both on Google and in previous quizbowl packets.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

User avatar
pray for elves
Auron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: 20001

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by pray for elves »

Matt Weiner wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:Matt, in Hebrew the title is Moreh Nevuchim, which has no article at all and is usually translated as Guide to the Perplexed.
Wasn't this work originally written in Arabic? I can certainly attest that, as a speaker of neither language, "Guide for the Perplexed" is the more common title both on Google and in previous quizbowl packets.
As I just edited in above as you were posting this, I'm pretty sure it was originally written in Judeo-Arabic and not regular Arabic.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF

User avatar
Captain Sinico
Auron
Posts: 2842
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Champaign, Illinois

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by Captain Sinico »

DeisEvan wrote:...the Jew questions were not done well at all for the most part...
Perhaps you would elaborate?

MaS
Mike Sorice
Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
ACF
IHSSBCA
PACE

Kyle
Auron
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Ifrane, Morocco / Oxford, UK / Issaquah, WA

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by Kyle »

Judeo-Arabic is Arabic, just with Hebrew letters instead of Arabic letters. Everything that Charles said is correct, except that he forgot the initial definite article, which doesn't matter in quizbowl anyway.

User avatar
Sir Thopas
Auron
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 pm
Location: Hunter, NYC
Contact:

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by Sir Thopas »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:...the Jew questions were not done well at all for the most part...
Perhaps you would elaborate?

MaS
L'shanah tovah and chametz are dead giveaways for Rosh Hashanah (see that "shanah" there in both? Yeah) and Passover. They led to frustrating buzzer races among all Jews.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/

BobGHHS
Rikku
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by BobGHHS »

And to top it off, a tossup on wrestling. WRESTLING, for crying out loud! Its like getting kicked in the nuts when you have a hernia.
I wasn't at WoQ so I have yet to hear the set... but I can guarantee if the tossup was on the Royal Rumble, I would've powered the living crap out of it. Yes, the extent of my knowledge is baseball and pro wrestling.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats

User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
Posts: 5640
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

metsfan001 wrote:
ImmaculateDeception wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:...the Jew questions were not done well at all for the most part...
Perhaps you would elaborate?

MaS
L'shanah tovah and chametz are dead giveaways for Rosh Hashanah (see that "shanah" there in both? Yeah) and Passover. They led to frustrating buzzer races among all Jews.
I'm sorry, but that's exactly what they are supposed to do - allow Jews to buzz in before everyone else. Hence it is a pyramidal question designed to reward the more knowledgeable people. I'm sorry if there are a ton of Jews in quizbowl, but I don't actually see any problem with putting those kinds of clues in leadins.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

User avatar
vcuEvan
Auron
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:49 pm
Location: Richmond VA

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by vcuEvan »

BobGHHS wrote:
And to top it off, a tossup on wrestling. WRESTLING, for crying out loud! Its like getting kicked in the nuts when you have a hernia.
I wasn't at WoQ so I have yet to hear the set... but I can guarantee if the tossup was on the Royal Rumble, I would've powered the living crap out of it. Yes, the extent of my knowledge is baseball and pro wrestling.

It was on Battle Royal.

The Atom Strikes!
Tidus
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Deesy Does It wrote: I'm sorry, but that's exactly what they are supposed to do - allow Jews to buzz in before everyone else. Hence it is a pyramidal question designed to reward the more knowledgeable people. I'm sorry if there are a ton of Jews in quizbowl, but I don't actually see any problem with putting those kinds of clues in leadins.
The thing is, Charlie, there really are a lot of Jews in Quizbowl-- so we need to reward the more knowledgeable Jews over the less knowledgeable ones.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X

User avatar
sabine01
Tidus
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:31 pm
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Contact:

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by sabine01 »

metsfan001 wrote:
ImmaculateDeception wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:...the Jew questions were not done well at all for the most part...
Perhaps you would elaborate?

MaS
L'shanah tovah and chametz are dead giveaways for Rosh Hashanah (see that "shanah" there in both? Yeah) and Passover. They led to frustrating buzzer races among all Jews.
Indulge this goyeh one second, but doesn't "chametz" refer to Passover/Pesach (in that chametz is leavened stuff that needs to be removed before the holiday)? If it was in the Rosh Hashanah question, I'd consider it a completely wrong clue...
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"

User avatar
pray for elves
Auron
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:58 pm
Location: 20001

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by pray for elves »

sabine01 wrote:Indulge this goyeh one second, but doesn't "chametz" refer to Passover/Pesach (in that chametz is leavened stuff that needs to be removed before the holiday)? If it was in the Rosh Hashanah question, I'd consider it a completely wrong clue...
Two different questions: one on Rosh Hashanah, and one on Passover.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF

User avatar
sabine01
Tidus
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:31 pm
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Contact:

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by sabine01 »

DeisEvan wrote:
sabine01 wrote:Indulge this goyeh one second, but doesn't "chametz" refer to Passover/Pesach (in that chametz is leavened stuff that needs to be removed before the holiday)? If it was in the Rosh Hashanah question, I'd consider it a completely wrong clue...
Two different questions: one on Rosh Hashanah, and one on Passover.
Ah, gotcha... Wasn't clear from the OP, since he had linked the two together. (Which made me scratch my head).

Edit. I also should read the post a bit more.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"

User avatar
cornfused
Auron
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: MCMNT 2008 Discussion

Post by cornfused »

Re: my assertion that I'd never seen a tossup or bonus on Guide (thingy) the Perplexed:

It turns out that there WAS a tossup, but I never got to play it. Figures.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

Locked