Dust off those party hats... ICT discussion

Old college threads.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Dust off those party hats... ICT discussion

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

...'cause Lawrence is coming to ICT. My whole team has abandoned me, though... so I'm currently putting together a dream team of smartish people who have never touched a buzzer. Should be fun.

But now for the real reason for this thread: feel free to discuss the ICT field here. MIT declined their Div I bid, and Berkeley won't be playing Div II... anyone know why? And, um, whosagonnawinnit? (Div I and II)
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

We're not doing Div I because three A-teamers have exams the Friday of ICT; we're sending a Div II team instead. Incidentally, though, we'll be at ACF Nationals in full force, which will be more representative of our abilities anyway.

Outside of "who's going?" gossip, I expect this to be a really competitive year--I wouldn't be at all surprised at a Chicago-Maryland-Brown circle of death at the top of the field.
Chris Kennedy, MIT
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Dust off those party hats... ICT discussion

Post by grapesmoker »

We suck at NAQT questions, and I'd be surprised if we finished in the top 3.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Stanford, Illinois, and Vanderbilt are the other contenders for top 3 spots.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'd personally put more stock in Illinois making the top 3 here over Brown since they seem to have found a competent NAQT player in Greg Baboukis along with Donald and this one other guy on their team who gets a few tossups here and there. But I'm with Matt, I think this will be a really tough upper bracket far beyond just the top 3, and I think any of those 6 teams could take the title home based on the stats and what I've heard/seen.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
NoahMinkCHS
Yuna

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

What teams will be undergrad-eligible? I'm pretty sure Billy said FSU would be, and we'll be... who else?
Noah
Georgia '08
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Matt Weiner wrote:Stanford, Illinois, and Vanderbilt are the other contenders for top 3 spots.
While it would be pretty sweet if this were true, we're kind of manic depressive when it comes to NAQT. We can beat a bad team by 100 and a good team by 400 [edit: that means we can also lose to a good team by 300]. A lot will depend on who we play on the down rounds I guess.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I'm liking Maryland to win ICT for format-related reasons (assuming a Magin/Meigs/Ray/Bentley lineup). I don't think Maryland's lack of a true science player is going to hurt them all that much, since Magin and Chris Ray can fraud enough science to keep them in close games. In addition, Charles Meigs will almost certainly be the best geography player at ICT, and a Meigs/Bentley combo gives them excellent trash coverage. This gives Maryland a distinct advantage in two categories that NAQT heavily emphasizes, while what I perceive as their biggest weakness isn't going to hurt them a lot.

Stanford is probably still wrestling with where to place Kevin Koai. If he goes on Stanford B, I think they become the favorite for D1 Undergrad. If he goes on Stanford A, that team becomes just that much more dangerous.

We're adding Brendan to our SCT lineup, so I'm optimistic that we can squeak into the top bracket and maybe make some noise.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:What teams will be undergrad-eligible? I'm pretty sure Billy said FSU would be, and we'll be... who else?
Harvard should be, and I'm sure they'll contend for the UG title.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

cvdwightw wrote:I'm liking Maryland to win ICT for format-related reasons (assuming a Magin/Meigs/Ray/Bentley lineup). I don't think Maryland's lack of a true science player is going to hurt them all that much, since Magin and Chris Ray can fraud enough science to keep them in close games. In addition, Charles Meigs will almost certainly be the best geography player at ICT, and a Meigs/Bentley combo gives them excellent trash coverage. This gives Maryland a distinct advantage in two categories that NAQT heavily emphasizes, while what I perceive as their biggest weakness isn't going to hurt them a lot.

Stanford is probably still wrestling with where to place Kevin Koai. If he goes on Stanford B, I think they become the favorite for D1 Undergrad. If he goes on Stanford A, that team becomes just that much more dangerous.

We're adding Brendan to our SCT lineup, so I'm optimistic that we can squeak into the top bracket and maybe make some noise.
Jeremy Eaton will actually be the 4th player on our team instead of myself.
Mike Bentley
VP of Editing, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

Post by Dartmouth College Bowl »

Dartmouth will be UG as well.
Members of the Dartmouth Quizbowl Team, Dartmouth College
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Minnesota may be UG-eligible, but our two most likely fourths are a fifth-year undergrad and a med student, so if they come we're out this year.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Alabama will be UG, with the exact same lineup at we had at D2 last year. I look for Maryland to take the overall title, with Harvard taking UG, especially considering they return all of their team that finished 2nd to the monster UG team that was Carleton last year.
James A. Johnson
University of West Florida
formerly of Alabama and Faulkner State

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Skate or Die wrote:Minnesota may be UG-eligible, but our two most likely fourths are a fifth-year undergrad and a med student, so if they come we're out this year.
It's now more likely that Minnesota will be Undergrad-eligible, as our fourth will likely be a fellow sophomore. This could change, however.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

In the yearly "Most People Don't Care about These Predictions" category, I'll offer that I figure that Chipola College (a CC in the Florida Panhandle that offers a limited number of bachelor's degrees and hence isn't called a CC, though it is) is the favorite to win the Community College title. My Valencia team split matches with them at FSU's Penn Bowl mirror, and I'm glad to see that they're one of the handful of CC programs that's attending four-year tourneys and reading the archive and such. Gulf Coast CC, last year's runner-up, comes back with three of its four players from last year, but I don't know if they practice on non-Florida-CC type questions enough to win it all. We're practicing hard to see if we can catch up to both of them.

I don't know enough about Faulkner or Georgia Perimeter to know if they'll be factors, but I look forward to seeing them in St. Louis.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Not that the Stanford team will listen to me when figuring out their roster, but I just want to say that I hope Kevin Koai plays for an undergrad team.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Any picks for the Div II top bracket? (Lawrence is going to have me, Richard, and a science guy who might in fact be very good, plus one more... I personally think we'll be right around the top bracket/second bracket split)

Other than that, though, I don't really know much about Div II-ness. The natural suspects are MIT, Carleton, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, WUStL, and the four Ivies. I know very little about Toronto, Wake Forest, Swat, or even Truman State, though, not to mention the CCs. Anyone care to make a real prediction?
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Cornell, Dartmouth, Carleton, Lawrence, Truman State, Swarthmore, and Carnegie Mellon all had pretty good numbers at Sectionals. It's hard to predict how the difficulty jump will affect any given team, though.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Then my question is: How severe IS the difficulty jump? I mean, I know the answer space is different, but are we talking ACF Regionals kind of answers? To me, SCT Div II seemed about the same level as HSNCT 2007... but I have very little idea what to expect.

I'm probably going to buy ICT Div II 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, and ICT Div I 2006, though, just to see what they've been like. Hell, if I have enough time, I'll try and pull a Subash and memorize the leadins...
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I'd be willing to bet on Dartmouth in Div II. They have a beastfrosh.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Kyle wrote:I'd be willing to bet on Dartmouth in Div II. They have a beastfrosh.
The term is "beast frosh" Kyle.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

BuzzerZen wrote:
Kyle wrote:I'd be willing to bet on Dartmouth in Div II. They have a beastfrosh.
ESPN actually used this exact term to describe Michale Beasley the other day.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
evilmonkey
Yuna

Thats gotta be the reason

Post by evilmonkey »

theMoMA wrote:
BuzzerZen wrote:
ESPN actually used this exact term to describe Michale Beasley the other day.
Such is why Hansborough will never be the best player - you can't make his last name sound awesome.
Michael BEASTly, Luke HaranGODLY...

Mods, feel free to take this post of into the sports forum.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

Not that we'll be a contender, but Harding will probably be UG eligible.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08