Announcement: Beaver Bonspiel XIV at MIT, 2/2/08

Old college threads.
The Logic of Scientific Disco
Wakka

Announcement: Beaver Bonspiel XIV at MIT, 2/2/08

Post by The Logic of Scientific Disco »

The MIT Quiz Bowl Team is pleased to announce Beaver Bonspiel XIV: Das Wiedersehen, to be held on February 2, 2008 here in Cambridge. This tournament will be a mirror of Stanford's Cardinal Classic.

Fees and discounts for the tournament are as follows:
+$100 base fee, first team
+$90 base fee, subsequent teams
-$5 buzzer discount
-$10 moderator discount
-$10 BEING ON TIME (see below)
-$30 if you submit a packet to Brian Lindquist at Stanford (blindqui at stanford dot edu) before January 4, and make sure to tell me about it. See the original thread for more details about packets.

Travel and other discounts are, as usual, negotiable.

We'll meet in room 1-190 (same as for ACF Fall) at 8:30, aiming to start play by 9:15. If you make it to 1-190 by 9 am, we'll give each of your teams the $10 discount alluded to above (no ifs, ands, or buts, though--no excuse will give you this discount if you get there after 9). One option teams coming from far north or south might want to try is parking at Alewife (north) or Braintree (south) and taking the T in, since this eliminates the need for parking on MIT's totally impossible campus.

Please email registrations and expected numbers of teams, buzzers, staffers, etc. to chriskennedy AT mit DOT edu. See you in February!

EDIT: Deadline changed to January 4 to reflect Stanford's discount scheme. If you don't submit a packet, you can play our mirror for no penalty.
Last edited by The Logic of Scientific Disco on Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakka

Giving this a bump, because I have yet to receive any interest. If you're potentially interested in coming to Bonspiel, please let me know as soon as possible so we can figure out whether this will happen or not.

[Also, for any Stanford people reading this, yes, you will get our packets. Glad to see there will be so many good teams playing them!]
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

Post by Dartmouth College Bowl »

Chris, we are planning on bringing with two teams to Beaver Bonspiel. We are also writing a packet which we should have it in to Stanford later tonight.
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

So is this tournament still happening? We still are planning on bringing two teams (and maybe a third).
Wakka

Yup, still happening, though we're still hoping for more firm interest. Here's what I have for the field at the moment:

Dartmouth (2-3)
Brown
Harvard (1-2)
Brandeis (1-2)
House teams (1 or 2, depending on parity)

So that's roughly 9 right now (assuming those numbers are right--let me know if I have something wrong above or if I've inadvertently left you out). We'd like to have ~11 (or more) on the day of the tournament for maximum goodness.

Chris
Wakka

Here's the field I have as of now. I'd love to turn the uncertain numbers into certain ones, so if you're listed as 1-2 or 2-3 below, please tell me how many you're actually bringingby Wednesday so I can put together a schedule. It's also not too late to register in the first place; let me know by Wednesday if you'd like to come.

Dartmouth (3)
Harvard
Brown
Columbia
Brandeis
Cornell
House

Edit: Field updated.
Last edited by The Logic of Scientific Disco on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

We're sending just one team.
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

Yeah, we are having practice tonight and after that I will be able to officially confirm the exact number of teams that we are bringing to the tournament. I am pretty sure that its going to end up being 2 teams though.
JimJiyu
Lulu

Post by JimJiyu »

Hey,

Cornell would like to send a team to this weekend's competition if it's not too late to register.

Thanks
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

We are officially sending three teams to the tournament.
Wakka

OK, I've updated the field above. Barring any further changes, we'll have one house team and thus a nice 9-team round robin, then split into two playoff divisions of 4 (excluding the house team).
Wakka

The final field for Bonspiel is in the post above. We look to be set for buzzers and moderators, but we'd still really appreciate anyone who has them bringing a buzzer set just to minimize the chance of misfortune (also, I'd like to avoid playing with our banged-up Judge, if possible). As a final thing, could someone from Columbia and Cornell email me with a contact phone number for the day of the tournament?
JimJiyu
Lulu

Post by JimJiyu »

Hey,

We'll send you our contact phone number if we can settle on coming for sure; we will try to establish this on practice Thursday and get back to you right after practice gets out.

Cornell.
Shadowstrike
Lulu

Post by Shadowstrike »

Sent you an email. :)
Lok-Kin Yeung
Columbia University Quiz Bowl
JimJiyu
Lulu

Post by JimJiyu »

We decided we are sending a team, so we'll see you on Saturday.
z9R4C3
Lulu

Post by z9R4C3 »

9 teams showed up, and after the round robin, Harvard A, Harvard Suns and Lovers, Dartmouth A, and Dartmouth B advanced to the top bracket. Harvard A cleared the field with a 10-1 record, and no finals were held.

The top 5 individuals were
1. Randall — Dartmouth A
2. James — Dartmouth B
3. Julia — Harvard A
4. Lisa — Brown
5. Dennis — Harvard Suns and Lovers

All kinds of other details and complete stats can be found here. Thank you all for coming and having patience with our team!