EFT Stats

Old college threads.
Dennis
Lulu

EFT Stats

Post by Dennis »

First, I want to thank Steve Watchorn and Delano Barnes for coming out to help at EFT, something which I failed to mention in any of my earlier posts.

Anyhow, I've compiled the stats from Brown's EFT, and below are some of the stats that I found. I've sent Jerry a copy of the Excel file, but he hasn't had the chance to put them up yet.

These are just some of the bonuses that I thought had interesting bonus conversions. I don't mean to suggest that bonuses should become harder/easier from here on out, but I hope that we can have some sort of meaningful discussion about how the numbers worked out.

Our site had 20 teams, so we had 10 games for each packet (we kept official stats through 9 prelim games), except for packet 9, during which one moderator didn't keep track of individual bonus parts.

For those of you who have the set, feel free to ask how any other bonuses you saw got converted. I also tracked toss up conversion, so if anyone has a question about how any particular toss was picked up, I can answer those in the meantime as well.

Packet 8:

(90%, 100%, 80%)
12. It takes place at a ball held by Prince Prospero. FTPE:
[10] Name this short story, in which the personification of the titular gruesome plague appears at the aforementioned event.
ANSWER: The Masque of the Red Death
[10] The Masque of the Red Death was written by this author of The Tell-Tale Heart and Fall of the House of Usher
ANSWER: Edgar Allen Poe
[10] This other Poe short story centers around a man about to be executed by the Spanish inquisition. With the help of some rats, he manages to escape from the title location.
ANSWER: The Pit and the Pendulum

(100%, 62.5%, 50%)
16. After Matthew Nowicki’s death, he was brought in to help plan the city of Chandigarh. FTPE:
[10] Name this architect, who was also famous for a series of modernist furniture, the Cite Radieuse apartment building in Marseille, and the Villa Savoye.
ANSWER: Le Corbusier or Charles-Edouard Jeanneret
[10] Le Corbusier is also famous for this cathedral in Ronchamp, which has a sloping roof and is made of mostly stone and concrete. It takes its name from a much more famous place of worship.
ANSWER: Notre Dame Du Haut
[10] Le Corbusier outlined his Five Points in this collection of essays. Many of them were originally published in the journal L’Espirit Nouveau, which he founded.
ANSWER: Towards a New Architecture or Vers une Architecture or Towards an Architecture

Packet 7:

(40%, 40%, 60%)
18. The aria “You rascal you! I never knew you had a soulâ€
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Woohoo we knew kame and Mahinda!

I'd like to see the stats on that bonus about the Samnite War/Caudine Forks, and the one about ecological progression/climax communities. And Jerry's bonus on Syd Barrett.
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

We didn't keep stats for Jerry's packet, but, as for the other two:

Packet 2:

(30%, 10%, 80%)
1. This series of conflicts occurred between 343 to 290 BCE. FTPE:
[10] Name this series of three wars between the Roman Republic and the namesake tribe in the Apennines.
ANSWER: Samnite Wars
[10] The Second Samnite War began disastrously for the Romans; case in point is this battle in a mountain pass, in which Gauis Pontius forced the surrendered Romans to pass under a yoke as an act of submission.
ANSWER: Battle of Caudine Forks
[10] Most records of the Samnite Wars come from this Roman historian, who detailed it in his Ab Urbe Condita. Only 35 of the original 142 books have survived.
ANSWER: Livy or Titus Livius

Packet 9:

(33.33%, 33.33%, 0% for 6 teams)
18. Selleck argued against Whittaker's suggestion that the "prevailing" hypothesis about these entities, which allowed for continuous change in all vegetation in the environment. FTPE:
[10] Name this term which describes the steady state of a biological community after its vegetation has developed.
ANSWER: climax community
[10] The climax community is considered by some to be the last stage of this ecological process, where changes in a community occur rather predictably over time. Types of this process include primary and secondary.
ANSWER: succession
[10] Clements also developed the notion of these intermediate stages of succession, a progression of which leads to the climax community.
ANSWER: sere or seral community
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I don't have anything meaningful to contribute, but I'll just say props to the 40% who knew "Four Sea Interludes."
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'll have that spreadsheet up later today.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I think it's really cool to have these stats. I will say they seem to indicate that some questions had 3rd parts that aren't really appropriate for the level. There are tons of Arthur Miller characters and Ann Deever is probably a 3rd part at nationals or post-nationals (I've read All My Sons and remember the character but not her name; she's like the 6th most prominent character and the work only has like 7 living people in it). Also, Zeng Guofang is one of my favorite people but *definitely* shouldn't be an answer at EFT. I guess this reveals that, if there was a "problem" with the set (which was fine anyway), it might have been along the lines of bonuses needing easier hard parts and harder medium parts.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

All right, space cadets, you can get the whole thing here.

A few words: this file contains the aggregated results of the entire Brown tournament, so you can even see which rounds knew which things by cross-referencing to the SQBS stats. I was hoping to make an even fancier spreadsheet that contained this information (I think it would be cool to have cubic spreadsheets), but then I got lazy. Anyway, you can see all the total information for every round in the sheets marked "Round 1 Total" (or something like that). Some remarks on the stats from me are forthcoming.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Morton's Fork
Lulu

Post by Morton's Fork »

I recommend macro-free xls files. Thanks for the posting of these stats.
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

I emailed Jerry a copy without any of the macros and is thus much smaller; it still has most of the pertinent information.

If anyone has any suggestions for what else can/should be tracked, let me know. MIT has agreed to keep track of bonus parts for their ACF Fall tournament, so I'll be repeating this process after that as well.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Zeng Guofan shouldn't have been zero percent conversion, but I failed to come up with him despite knowing him. Oh, well. It happens.

These stats are really useful to have, especially for future arguments over difficulty. Thanks, Dennis and Jerry (plus the moderators who kept these stats).