Mid-Atlantic ACF Fall at VCU: 11/3/07

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Mid-Atlantic ACF Fall at VCU: 11/3/07

Post by Matt Weiner »

The Mid-Atlantic site for ACF Fall 2007 will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond on Saturday, November 3.

To register, post in this thread or mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details.

Please arrive to register by 9:00 so we can get round 1 started by 9:15. The tournament will be held in the School of Business Building, with the opening meeting in room 1118. General directions to our Monroe Park campus (aka "Academic Campus") may be found at the link. Use "1050 W Main St, Richmond, Virginia" as the destination address for your mapping software of choice.

The tournament format will most likely be a full round-robin, which will followed by division into playoff brackets if the round-robin alone gives teams fewer than 12 games, and will end with ACF-format finals. Games will be played under the official ACF rules. If there are enough teams to warrant it, the highest-finishing all-undergraduate and/or all-Division II teams will receive recognition, and may play in a final if there is no overall final, but all teams will play in the same field for the bulk of the tournament.

Packet submission requirements/exemptions/guidelines/fees are found at the general announcement for ACF Fall. All packets should be sent to Eric Kwartler as indicated in that post, and all questions about packet writing, requests for extensions, and so forth should go to him.

The site-specific fees are as follows:

$100 base fee per team
$10 discount per fully functional buzzer system (control box, power cord, and at least eight activators all work)
$20 discount for a full-time competent moderator.
+/- whatever packet discounts or penalties Eric tells me to apply

You can play for as little as zero dollars if you bring a bunch of buzzers and staffers and have submitted your packet early.

Financial arrangements will be handled by Quizbowl at VCU treasurer Andrew Alexander. All teams must pay on Saturday morning, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to Andrew Alexander. Do not bring checks made out to Matt Weiner, to VCU, to "quizbowl," or so forth. We can't do anything with them, and you will be asked to pay us out of your own pocket if you bring unusable checks. Unless you have made a specific arrangement with me or Andrew, you must pay your full registration fee at or before the tournament. If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all teams will receive invoices at the tournament.

Click on the above links for campus maps. On-street parking is free and available around the campus on Saturdays. Breakfast and lunch will not be provided on-site, but there are plenty of eateries within walking distance of the building, and you'll get a list of options at the tournament.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions about the tournament itself, travel strategies, or so forth. Several teams have already expressed interest in the tournament, so I'm looking forward to a vibrant and competitive ACF Fall.

--Matt Weiner, tournament director, ACF Fall Mid-Atlantic
[email protected]

Teams/buzzers/staffers so far (to be edited as registrations come in):

William & Mary x2
Maryland x2
North Carolina x3
Carnegie Mellon
VCU
Last edited by Matt Weiner on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Maryland is definitely bringing 2 teams. There is a slight possibility we will be bringing a 3rd team if some of the other new players are interested. We'll be bringing at least 2 buzzers, and 1 or 2 moderators.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

UNC will be bringing three teams and two buzzer sets.

Also, I think you already have this, but our e-mail is uncquizbowl at gmail dot com.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

wwellington wrote:UNC will be bringing three teams and two buzzer sets.

Also, I think you already have this, but our e-mail is uncquizbowl at gmail dot com.
We'd also appreciate getting an invoice in advance.

Any more team updates?
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Casanova Frankenstein wrote:
Any more team updates?
W&M will bring two buzzers and at least two teams, probably more. Also, our 3rd year law student will make a rare appearance (it seems VCU tournaments are the only ones he can ever make).
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I have received confirmation that the tournament will take place wholly on the first floor of the School of Business Building.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Hey Matt Weiner, Maggie Walker just managed to get enough interest if its not too late. We are going off of your offer in the high school comparison post. It would just be one team, but we need a yes or no by 4 00 on whether we can come please.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Yeah, you can still be accommodated. See you tomorrow (School of Business 1118 by 9:00).
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Matt Weiner wrote:Yeah, you can still be accommodated. See you tomorrow (School of Business 1118 by 9:00).
BTW, Matt, we have an experienced reader.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Overall champion: Maryland A
Undergrad champion and overall second place: North Carolina A
Division 2 champion and overall third place: Carnegie Mellon

Full stats may be found at this comically long link. Thanks to all the teams for coming, and especially to Dwight Kidder, Andrew Feist, Jonathan Magin, and Paul from the Maggie Walker group for reading.
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Maggie Walker definitely enjoyed today, which was full of very close games. 13 games is almost unheard of on the high school circuit and it was a great chance to rematch a couple of our close matches. Clearly we have some work to do if we want to continue playing against these teams, but in our defense we were missing our 1st or 2nd best player and were clearly afraid to buzz as evidenced by our extraordinarily low neg rate. Congrats to UMD, UNC, and Carnegie Mellon, and thanks to Matt Weiner for letting us play on such short notice.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Greg Tito is amazing?
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:Greg Tito is amazing?
confirm.

This was easily one of the best tournaments I've ever been a part of. The only real issue that came up was time, as it took quite a while to get started. After that things moved soundly, and some good choices of books for prizes.

Congrats to UMCP A, UNC A, and CMU.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Greg definitely owned. Also, playing 13 games was awesome. We may have done a little better with Andrew or Palmer, but it was a great experience overall.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

Thanks to Matt and VCU for a fantastic tournament. Everything ran smoothly, the readers were excellent, and the ending time was quite reasonable, especially considering we got 13 full rounds of play.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Just a quick stat note: I did not score 1 tossup in UNC B's game against our A team, for the fairly substantial reason that I was driving southbound somewhere on I-85 at that time.

Had a good time at the part of ACF Fall I did make, though. Thanks.
Last edited by Red-necked Phalarope on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

I cant wait to see these questions, because it seems like Maggie Walker actually did really well.

Just as a side note, Chris Ray had more than 3 times as many negs as the Maggie Walker team...
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Yeah, we were being perhaps a little too cautious...which may have hurt in all those 1-2 toss-up losses.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

MLWGS-Gir wrote: 1-2 toss-up losses.
Darren Abernethy = Acie Law IV

Also, the W&M A vs. W&M B playoff game that was supposed to happen will likely take place tomorrow, so if W&M A wins in the rematch then I believe we'll officially tie for 3rd.

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

By the way, we found a black hoodie in a game room at the end of the day and I took it with me in case it belonged to someone at the tournament. If you are missing such a stylish garment, let me know.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote: 1-2 toss-up losses.
Darren Abernethy = Acie Law IV

Also, the W&M A vs. W&M B playoff game that was supposed to happen will likely take place tomorrow, so if W&M A wins in the rematch then I believe we'll officially tie for 3rd.
This ended up happening a week later than I said it would. W&M B pulled the upset again :cry: , and George Berry officially smokes crack (check the stats, Matt updated them to reflect that game). He got the first four tossups, almost pulling a killing spree...

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown