Announcement: Vanderbilt mirror of EFT2 - October 6

Old college threads.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Announcement: Vanderbilt mirror of EFT2 - October 6

Post by vandyhawk »

This is the official announcement for Vanderbilt's mirror of the Early Fall Tournament 2 (original post here), to be held on October 6, 2007. This event promises to be a solid, accessible tournament especially geared toward newer players. In keeping with other sites, here is the fee schedule:

$100 base fee per team
-$5 per working buzzer system
-$10 per full-time moderator/scorekeeper
-$10 per 200 miles traveled
Minimum fee per team: $60

The tournament will be held in Buttrick Hall, the same building we used for ACF Nats. We'll start check-in at 9:00 with games starting around 9:30. Further details, directions, etc. will be posted/emailed later. If you would like to register or have questions, email me at matt.keller AT vanderbilt.edu.

-Matt
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I guess I'll bump this since the only replies I've received are saying that some teams can't come, and UTC saying they'll bring a team or two. If you're interested in attending, please let me know.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Well, our field is quite a bit smaller than the other sites. Right now we have:

Oxford College
UTC (1-2)
WashU (1-2)
House teams (?)

Please let me know if you would like to attend.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Here is the latest field update:

Oxford College
UTC
UTK (2)
WashU (2)
Alabama (3)
Ga Tech
House teams (2)

We definitely still have room, so please let me know ASAP if you're thinking of coming.
Last edited by vandyhawk on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Hey, sorry, I thought I had sent something, but UA will be bringing 3 teams.
Greek Myth God
Lulu

Post by Greek Myth God »

Right now it seems like UTK will be bringing 1-2 teams, I think it will most likely be 2 teams. So far 7 people say they will go.

And our coach wants to know if there will be a separate division for new players? If so then we would have two teams definitely, one of new players and one of older players. Thanks
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Edited the above field update. Also, Greek, I've been in touch with Scotti and Markus, so you guys should be set. We aren't going to have separate divisions since there aren't enough teams to warrant it, and I think a good portion of the field will be pretty inexperienced anyway.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

James (Johnson), I seem to have a bunch of email addresses for you - which do you usually use? Feel free to PM or email it.
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

When and where will this be played? I'm assuming Wilson Hall. I may come see some of the college rounds and some of my former high school players will be there.
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

Now that I actually read the info already here, I have the answers to my questions. Duh. :oops:
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Howlin, can I ask who you are? Also, I just sent an email with this info, but figured I would post here too. Like the OP indicates, teams should plan to arrive around 9:00 Central time to start hopefully no later than 9:30. Here are more detailed directions:

Driving Directions and Parking

From the west/north: on I-40 East/I-65 South, take the Broadway exit (209B), and turn right on Broadway (away from downtown). From I-24 East, stay on I-65 south after they merge and follow above.

From the south/east: on I-40 West/I-65 North, take the Broadway exit (209), and turn left on Broadway. From I-24 West, stay on I-40 West after they merge and follow above.

Broadway will run into a fork at 16th Ave, and you should veer left to stay on Broadway. Broadway will curve around and become 21st Avenue South, and the Vanderbilt main campus will be on your right. To get to Wesley Place parking garage, which is your best parking bet, turn left at Scarritt Place, which is between Ben and Jerry's and Breugger's. Use the second entrance to Wesley Place on your right, 1/2 block past the intersection. Public parking spaces are 52-170. Here is the most useful map for parking: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/traffic_parking/tpmap.pdf Wesley Place is in quadrant C7. Your other parking options are the numbered lots (5, 6, 6A, 6B) along 21st Ave, which aren't technically for visitors but generally aren't patrolled on weekends.

[Note: If you find yourself on I-440 for some reason, you'll need to get off on West End Ave. East. Note that from I-440 east, exiting on West End Ave. East actually puts you on Murphy Rd, where you'll need to make a left to get to West End, where you'll turn left to go east. In either case, take West End Ave. to 21st Ave, where you'll turn right, and then follow directions above.]

Tournament Location

We'll be using Buttrick Hall, which is in C5 on the parking map above. You can also use the interactive map at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/map/map.cgi?m ... trick.html You'll need to zoom in a bit to make it useful. Headquarters will be in room 101, which is a lecture hall on the south end of the building.

Hotels

There are a number of hotels within walking distance of the tournament location, though most are going to be fairly expensive. Use this link to a Google map with hotels near campus. Any of the first 9 (ignoring the sales office that shows up) are walkable, and they are all pretty nice except the Days Inn, which is kind of run down, but is the only one right by campus for under $100. The Hampton Inns and Courtyard are probably the best combinations of price and convenience. If you have a car and want to stay somewhere cheaper, there are plenty of hotels off of the various interstates on the city's outskirsts.
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

Oh honey, I'm a native Nashvillian. I've been finding my way around Vandy since before you were born. Some of my former high school players (I suspect the Greek myth guy) are now playing for UT so I thought I might come and watch a round or two before I get heavy into laundry on Sat. 'Tis an exciting life I lead.
Greek Myth God
Lulu

Post by Greek Myth God »

I can only suspect that howlin is Ms. Howell, and that she does indeed know who I am. Which I don't know is or is not a good thing...
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

It remains to be seen.
Is Ryan also playing for UT and coming to this thing? Hey, Vandyhawk: What's the rule on noise makers and cheers from the crowd? Is there a height limit on pyramids that our cheerleaders do? I think we can go up at least three levels in that atrium of Buttrick. We have lots of 7th graders we can toss into the air.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I'd say you're allowed to cheer between questions, but I take no responsibility for items thrown at you as a result. As for cheerleading pyramids, you're limited only by the following quote that adorns the entrance to Buttrick: "The brain -- is wider than the sky."
Greek Myth God
Lulu

Post by Greek Myth God »

Yes, Ryan is coming down also. And a kid named Willoughby. Yes, like wallaby but Will. I want to change my name...
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I'm going to assume that this is the final field update unless I hear from someone within the next 12 hours or so:

Oxford College
UTC
UTK (2)
WashU (2)
Alabama (3)
Ga Tech
House teams (2)

See you all Saturday.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Thanks to everyone who came out to compete today, and to Eileen Steinhice as well as Scotti and Markus from UTK for reading. After an 11 game round robin, WashU A and Alabama A were tied at 10-1, and Alabama A won the one-game final 295-165. The Vanderbilt A house team rounded out the top three teams. Individually, the top three were Jacob Vanucci of UTC, Gordon Arsenoff of WashU A, and Jack Hartz of Vandy A. Congrats to everyone on their fine performances. Here is a link to the complete stats:

http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/colle ... dings.html
barnacles
Lulu

Post by barnacles »

Thanks to Vandy for hosting the tournament. It was well-run and my team and I had a good time. It was a solid question set, mostly of about the difficulty I expected. I appreciated the level of competition, also, which was about as level as you can get in a field of this size. Hope to see everyone at other regional tournaments.
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling
Wakka

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Sampling »

This tournament was extremely fun (I might be a little biased), but I did think it took longer than it had to.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '12
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

deep_friar wrote:This tournament was extremely fun (I might be a little biased), but I did think it took longer than it had to.
Yeah, one reader was a consistent 5-10 (leaning toward the 10) mins slower than the rest, but after we moved the stats guy to be her scorekeeper after round 5 or 6, it sped up, or at least seemed to.
Greek Myth God
Lulu

Post by Greek Myth God »

I know that I am simply echoing what people have said, but indeed this was an amazing tournament. It was my first tournament as a college play, and I can boldly say that I doubt I could have picked a better first. Thanks to the entire VU team, they ran a smooth tournament (granted it went a little too long for my tastes, but considering I was staying in town that night I didn't care too much). And thanks to all the teams, I believe we all competed well and seemed to have some good camaraderie. And finally congratulations to all the top teams and top individuals. Hope to see a lot of you again soon!