TIT/ASS and MLK/ABD Discussion

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

TIT/ASS and MLK/ABD Discussion

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've been informed by various people this weekend at the Chicago Open that the likelihood of Michigan coordinating another MLK by themselves is very low. At Maryland we plan on hosting TIT and ASS in the winter again this year, so it has been suggested that MLK (and maybe Ann B. Davis) becomes a mirror of TIT and ASS.

For those not familiar, TIT is a packet submission academic tournament that will probably be between ACF Fall and ACF Regionals in difficulty. ASS was a house written themed trash tournament, but it possibly might change if people want to see a different type of tournament.

So, I was wondering if people could chime in with answers to the following questions. You can reply here or e-mail me directly at [email protected].

First off, did the sentiment I get from various people at the CO echo what is actually happening at Michigan? In other words, is Michigan actually looking for someone to handle some, most, or all of the questions for MLK and/or Ann B. Davis?

What (other) schools would be interested in mirroring TIT and/or ASS? I'm pretty sure that Ann B. Davis has at least been traditionally mirrored in the Northeast in the past, and of course we'd also like to see mirrors in other locations around the country. Also, what would those mirroring schools be able to offer in regards to writing packets or editing questions for either of those tournaments?

Should ASS continue to be a house written themed tournament, a house written general trash tournament, a packet submission themed tournament, or a general trash packet submission tournament?

Once these issues get worked out, I'll be posting actual announcements of these two tournaments.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

By the way, I'm also game for having someone else do the trash tournament mostly or completely. I haven't actually heard any talk of Ann B. Davis being "endangered" this year, so I'd be more than willing to let the usual suspects take care of that and we just mirror it.
Mike Bentley
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Eh, I'll tell you what I know off the top of my head. I can't see how Michigan would be able to coordinate an MLK on their own, barring a massive influx of unexpected hypothetical ghost people who want to take on the task. Ann B. Davis is separate and I'd suspect that there is no problem with that going forward as usual, though the people involved can speak to that better than I. I think that a TIT mirror would be ideal and allow MLK to be a solid thriving tournament. Presumably, a mirror at UM would get you a good handful of decent packets to do with as you wish - from teams like chicago, illinois, whichever team I happen to play on, etc. Perhaps some of the people at UM could offer editing/writing help too, depending on who plays the tourney and who staffs or whatever. But, a sort of packet sharing arrangement would seem to be beneficial to all involved. I'm not speaking for anyone in the UM club here, it should be noted.
cdbarker
Lulu

Ann B. Davis 2008

Post by cdbarker »

As far as I know, and I have good information on this front, the 2008 Ann B. Davis is slated to go on as planned with Mike and I serving once again as editors. I do know that we're always looking for packet swaps for playoff purposes, so if there were interest in that, we'd be more than happy to listen. Please feel free to contact me with regard to that.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Ann B. Davis 2008

Post by Mike Bentley »

cdbarker wrote:As far as I know, and I have good information on this front, the 2008 Ann B. Davis is slated to go on as planned with Mike and I serving once again as editors. I do know that we're always looking for packet swaps for playoff purposes, so if there were interest in that, we'd be more than happy to listen. Please feel free to contact me with regard to that.
Hey what's your e-mail address?
Mike Bentley
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Re: TIT/ASS and MLK/ABD Discussion

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote: Should ASS continue to be a house written themed tournament, a house written general trash tournament, a packet submission themed tournament, or a general trash packet submission tournament?
I attended ASS last year and I really enjoyed it the way it was. Themed rounds are something my team rarely gets to experience and I enjoyed the themes and the questions themselves. The Ninja, Pirate, Robot, Zombie round is certainly one of my favorites.

I would like ASS to stay the way it is
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: TIT/ASS and MLK/ABD Discussion

Post by Mike Bentley »

Sasquatch wrote:
Steroid McBlooddoper wrote: Should ASS continue to be a house written themed tournament, a house written general trash tournament, a packet submission themed tournament, or a general trash packet submission tournament?
I attended ASS last year and I really enjoyed it the way it was. Themed rounds are something my team rarely gets to experience and I enjoyed the themes and the questions themselves. The Ninja, Pirate, Robot, Zombie round is certainly one of my favorites.

I would like ASS to stay the way it is
I think what's going to happen is that ASS is going to move to the summer, held around the same time that Chris McCray was this year (or maybe a little later to give me some more time to work on questions). I enjoyed writing the tournament and I got a lot of positive feedback from it, so it's at least not going away this year. But it's likely not going to be on the day after TIT.
Mike Bentley
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Okay,

So here's the scoop from Michigan. While I would certainly be willing to take a stab at editing an MLK-like tournament, frankly, there's nobody here who's capable of producing suitable playoff packets. A mirror of TIT seems both practical and imminent, unless anyone would like to offer a better idea.

Suggestions?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

alkrav112 wrote:Okay,

So here's the scoop from Michigan. While I would certainly be willing to take a stab at editing an MLK-like tournament, frankly, there's nobody here who's capable of producing suitable playoff packets. A mirror of TIT seems both practical and imminent, unless anyone would like to offer a better idea.

Suggestions?
Want to e-mail me so we can discuss this in further detail? My e-mail address is [email protected].
Mike Bentley