Early Fall Tournament 2 at Brown (9/29/2007)

Old college threads.
Dennis
Lulu

Early Fall Tournament 2 at Brown (9/29/2007)

Post by Dennis »

Brown Quiz Bowl is pleased announce that Early Fall Tournament 2: Rataplan Ghost Rides an Ambulance in World War I, otherwise known as EFT 2, will be held at Brown University on Saturday, September 29th, 2007. It will be a standard mACF academic tournament, and it will be easier than last year's rendition as we're aiming for a difficulty much closer to that of a normal ACF Fall tournament. We are really hoping to attract newer players, particularly those just coming from high school, so a concentrated effort is being made to keep the difficulty appropriate. It will be written by me (Dennis Jang), Eric Mukherjee, and Jerry Vinokurov, so no packets will be expected from anyone.

I realize it's a bit early to announce this, but if you would like to register any teams, you should contact me at dennis_jang AT brown DOT edu with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers.

Fee schedule:
Base fee: $100
Buzzer discount: -$5 each
Staff discount: -$10 each
Travel discount: -$10 for every 200 miles traveled
Minimum fee: $60

Lastly, we're looking for anyone who'd like to mirror this in other regions, e.g. Midwest, West coast, etc., so if you're interested in doing so, please email me, and we can work something out.
Last edited by Dennis on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
ecks
Wakka

Re: Early Fall Tournament 2 at Brown (9/29/2007)

Post by ecks »

Dennis wrote:Minimum fee: -$60
I plan on flying a team out from China so you can give me $60. Kthx.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

Changed. Thanks.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Guess I should mention that Vanderbilt has an agreement in principle to mirror this event on October 6. More details on that eventually.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

^^Ditto.

The full official announcement won't come until I reserve rooms, which will be in July probably.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Wall of Shawarma wrote:^^Ditto.

The full official announcement won't come until I reserve rooms, which will be in July probably.
Maryland will almost certanly send teams to this mirror, although it'd help us out if it was not on the 29th, as that is the day before our fall high shcool tournament.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

ikillkenny wrote:

Maryland will almost certanly send teams to this mirror, although it'd help us out if it was not on the 29th, as that is the day before our fall high shcool tournament.
Yeah I meant everything vandyhawk said, so we'll have ours on October 6th as well (the Family Weekend football game against [Edit: Towson, my mistake] is on the 29th for us). That's awesome that you guys can come though. I know you had the past EFT mirror site, so I hope we didn't step on your toes or anything by hosting.

Tentative clever acronym for our site: Hieronymous BOSCH Appreciation Day - Ballin Outrageous Shiznet the College Hosts
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Wall of Shawarma wrote:
ikillkenny wrote:

I know you had the past EFT mirror site, so I hope we didn't step on your toes or anything by hosting.
Nah, no worries there. Contrary to popular opinion we do in fact enjoy competing in tournaments and not just hosting them.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

Just bumping this back up--as teams start letting me know if they can come, I'll begin posting field updates.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

Teams who have said they will come thus far (updates will be made on this post):

Harvard (3?)
Rutgers-New Brunswick (1)
Brandeis (1-2)
Amherst (1-2)
MIT (3)
Yale (1)
Columbia (1-2)
Dartmouth (1-2)
Princeton (1)
House Teams (2?)

Still looking for more; email me if you're interested in coming.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

Note: Due to the rather large field (which is great), it appears that we too may be short a few moderators. If any teams are able to bring any staffers, please let me know as soon as possible.

Field update:

Harvard (3?)
Rutgers-NB (1)
Brandeis (1-2)
Amherst (1-2)
MIT (3)
Yale (1-2)
Columbia (3)
Dartmouth (1-2)
Princeton (1)
Williams (1-2)
Brown (2-3)
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I heard Jason Keller played this NOVICE tournament, confirm/deny?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

DumbJaques wrote:I heard Jason Keller played this NOVICE tournament, confirm/deny?
Confirm.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Sorry, but I don't actually see "novice" or anything explicitly dealing with age/experience in the announcement other then that they are hoping to attract some new players. I know that Bruce Arthur also played.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

DeisEvan wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:I heard Jason Keller played this NOVICE tournament, confirm/deny?
Confirm.
Young, dumb and full of com...placency?
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Jason Keller not only played, but won -- not that there's anything wrong with that. EFT is no more of a novice tournament than, say, ACF Fall.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

If it was like last year's tournament, most answers were well-known, but the tournament had challenging leadins and great pyramidality. Who wouldn't want to play in a tournament like that? It's comparable to ACF Fall, which Yaphe played at a couple years ago. I don't think anybody complained then, although I'm not sure if you're complaining now. In general, I don't understand the meaning behind your post.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I just think it's a little ridiculous that Jason Keller decided to crash a tournament which almost exclusively featured players with less than two years of experience. As I recall, when Yaphe played fall, everyone else did too - the standard issue of Chicago, Illinois, Michigan, etc. etc. That's probably going to happen at ACF fall again this year, as it should. But EFT, particularly this EFT site, did not feature the corresponding field strength, or anything close to the corresponding grad student participation, and that's why I think it's gratuitous. I mean, come on. . . Jason's teammates reportedly kept apologizing for his presence - and not in the normal way.

I'm not really complaining, but I hope that the next time Jason wants to go after a tournament filled with players with less than two years of college experience, he'll hit the one I'm attending.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

DumbJaques wrote:I just think it's a little ridiculous that Jason Keller decided to crash a tournament which almost exclusively featured players with less than two years of experience. As I recall, when Yaphe played fall, everyone else did too - the standard issue of Chicago, Illinois, Michigan, etc. etc. That's probably going to happen at ACF fall again this year, as it should. But EFT, particularly this EFT site, did not feature the corresponding field strength, or anything close to the corresponding grad student participation, and that's why I think it's gratuitous. I mean, come on. . . Jason's teammates reportedly kept apologizing for his presence - and not in the normal way.

I'm not really complaining, but I hope that the next time Jason wants to go after a tournament filled with players with less than two years of college experience, he'll hit the one I'm attending.
Keller was closely matched by the other top teams at the tournament. Harvard B beat him once and lost to him a second time very narrowly. Harvard A lost by more, but kept it competitive until the end of the game. And I'm not sure what happened between Rutgers and Princeton A, but I'm sure it was far from a cakewalk.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

EFT is not a NOVICE tournament. When UCLA switched TWAIN-College Division over from IS sets to EFT mirrors, we expanded the eligibility requirements. We ended up with a mix of everything from well-established veteran grad students to teams of freshmen playing their first-ever collegiate tournament. I would expect such a distribution at any such tournament.

I don't pretend to put words in the mouth of anyone involved with either this year's or last year's EFT, but I thought the primary purpose of EFT was to expose new players to the reality of the college circuit without them coming away with the idea that college quizbowl is impossible. Specifically, that includes extremely accessible questions (so that even a match between two novice teams will have ideally >75% tossup conversion and >10 ppb; thus, teams come away not feeling like the questions were impossible), good pyramidality (so they have a baseline of a "good" tournament to compare other tournaments to), and not babying them by putting them in their own "novice" division. Suggesting that EFT become a de facto novice tournament is, in my mind, a step backward from that philosophy. If the writers of the tournament later decide it would be best to limit eligibility, fine. But bashing someone for playing in a tournament he was perfectly eligible to attend (regardless of the overall field strength) is wrong.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

But bashing someone for playing in a tournament he was perfectly eligible to attend (regardless of the overall field strength) is wrong.
Yeah, you're right about that. I'm pretty much of the opinion that restricting people from tournaments is not such a great idea. I think I was somewhat mistaken about the nature of EFT this year (perhaps this had something to do with my teammate suggesting Brown had essentially told him it was meant as a novice set). If it really wasn't intended as a novice tournament, that's cool. I stand by my futile wish that Rutgers would have come to our site instead.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Chris Ray just lost.

At life.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

cvdwightw wrote:EFT is not a NOVICE tournament...I thought the primary purpose of EFT was to expose new players to the reality of the college circuit without them coming away with the idea that college quizbowl is impossible. Specifically, that includes extremely accessible questions (so that even a match between two novice teams will have ideally >75% tossup conversion and >10 ppb; thus, teams come away not feeling like the questions were impossible), good pyramidality (so they have a baseline of a "good" tournament to compare other tournaments to), and not babying them by putting them in their own "novice" division.
FIFTEEEEEEEEEN.

PS. Stats and etc. coming soon.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

I apologize for the late posting for statistics, but they'll be compiled and put up soon. Rutgers did indeed win, followed by Harvard B (pending Bruce's challenge), then I believe Harvard A, then Princeton A. Stats were kept through the first 9 rounds.
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

It would be silly to pretend that EFT is not written with primarily new players in mind. That said, anyone is welcome to play, and I hope that this set was educational for everyone who played on it.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I just wanted to add that while we ask you to refrain from discussing the questions until the mirrors are completed, you can send us all comments if you played on or heard the set. We're going to clean up some typos and at a couple of errors that seeped in before next week's mirrors so if you saw any, feel free to email us.
Jerry Vinokurov
Morton's Fork
Lulu

Post by Morton's Fork »

grapesmoker wrote:I just wanted to add that while we ask you to refrain from discussing the questions until the mirrors are completed, you can send us all comments if you played on or heard the set. We're going to clean up some typos and at a couple of errors that seeped in before next week's mirrors so if you saw any, feel free to email us.
Email Address = ?

Also is there a webpage with stats from this yet?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Morton's Fork wrote: Email Address = ?
I can be reached at [email protected]; Dennis and Eric are at [email protected] and [email protected].
Also is there a webpage with stats from this yet?
I think Dennis is still compiling stats. We'll try to have them up by the end of the week.
Jerry Vinokurov
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

Stats have been compiled, and they should be up relatively soon. Just a synopsis--

Individual Places:
1. Jason (Grad) from Rutgers
2. Julia (Junior) from Harvard A
3. Ted (Frosh) from Harvard B
4. Andrew (Senior) from Yale A
5. Randall (Junior) from Dartmouth A
6. Anyeong (Grad) from Princeton A

Top Frosh/Sophs:
3. Ted (Frosh) from Harvard B
7. Lisa (Frosh) from Brown A
11. Leon (Soph) from MIT A
13. Orion (Soph) from MIT A
15. Aaron (Frosh) from Brown B
18. Richard (Soph) from Yale B
21. Yi (Soph) from Harvard A
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
Dennis
Lulu

Post by Dennis »

Silly me, I'll include some numbers:

Individual Places:
1. Jason (Grad) from Rutgers - 66.67 PPG
2. Julia (Junior) from Harvard A - 64.67 PPG
3. Ted (Frosh) from Harvard B - 61.25 PPG
4. Andrew (Senior) from Yale A - 58.33 PPG
5. Randall (Junior) from Dartmouth A - 53.33 PPG
6. Anyeong (Grad) from Princeton A - 48.33 PPG

Top Frosh/Sophs:
3. Ted (Frosh) from Harvard B - 61.25 PPG
7. Lisa (Frosh) from Brown A - 46.11 PPG
11. Leon (Soph) from MIT A - 38.33 PPG
13. Orion (Soph) from MIT A - 34.44 PPG
15. Aaron (Frosh) from Brown B - 32.22 PPG
18. Richard (Soph) from Yale B - 29.38 PPG
21. Yi (Soph) from Harvard A - 27.33 PPG
Dennis Jang
Brown Quiz Bowl
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Props to Princeton A and their player names.
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

Apparently I'm still very good at negging.