Player Movement/Retirement Thread

Old college threads.
cvdwightw
Auron

Player Movement/Retirement Thread

Post by cvdwightw »

So as not to hijack the ACF Nats thread, I've created a new one to confirm/centralize rumors, facts, and other such stuff about player movement/retirement.

For what it's worth, I and my 30 ppg will be off to UC Irvine in the fall, and I'll more likely than not keep playing there.
your mom
Lulu

Post by your mom »

Will Turner and I are off to bigger and better things next year. Glorious retirement- leaving Michigan quiz bowl with little more than a large void.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I'll be out of the circuit game for a year most likely, getting a JOB (omfg), although I may end up playing ACF regionals or SCT for UH if I decide to take classes. Then off to grad school.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I am moving from Chicago to Harvard.

I'll try and make the team there; whether or not they will let me play for them is out of my control.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

your mom wrote:leaving Michigan quiz bowl with little more than a large void.
Seriously, whats with all the Westbrook bashing lately?

I should only be playing masters stuff next year, but I'll be helping with some sets and such.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I just thought it would be funny if there was a quiz bowl version of Fire Joe Morgan and he just kind of fit into the joke.
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Player Movement/Retirement Thread

Post by grapesmoker »

cvdwightw wrote:For what it's worth, I and my 30 ppg will be off to UC Irvine in the fall, and I'll more likely than not keep playing there.
You should recruit Brendan Shapiro to aid you in your cause. He will be there for grad school as well.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

that would be the basis of a fine team.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Don't forget noted ACF SUPPORTER Willie Chen!!!!!
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

Seeing as I'm quite the grad school dropout, I'm going to become (or, more accurately, continue to be) a degenerate gambler until I matriculate in some law school. I would like to say I'll spend my first year without the burden of school writing 10 tournaments and studying qb material in order to avoid sucking wherever I go, but we all know I'm too lazy and slow to do that. Also, gambling makes me more money.

I might still go to open tournaments or something, if only to drink heavily.
AuguryMarch
Lulu

Post by AuguryMarch »

Although I suppose I'm basically in retirement right now, I am moving from CMU to Harvard for the remainder of grad school. I might be cajoled into playing if Bruce offers me some Red Lobster.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Seriously, whats with all the Westbrook bashing lately?
I don't think I'm the void being referred to here...although my stomach might best be described as a void after a standard week of dieting on nothing but powdered doughnuts and altoids.

Er, the topic. Of course, I'll be hanging around playing open tournaments and whatnot.
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

I'll be in law school at Stanford, barring any last-minute surprises. I don't expect to play many, or perhaps any, tournaments, though like Paul Litvak I am susceptible to persuasion in the form of seafood. Also, if Leo joins me at Stanford in a year you can definitely expect us to show up at ACF nationals 2009, if only to derail Seth Teitler's three-peat.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

The idea of grad students playing quiz bowl at Harvard is, frankly, staggering. At the ripe old age of 20, I am currently the oldest person on our team. Bruce and Paul: if you can tolerate us little kids, you should both come play. I'll make sure you get info about the first practices next fall.
samer
Lulu

Post by samer »

Kyle wrote:The idea of grad students playing quiz bowl at Harvard is, frankly, staggering. At the ripe old age of 20, I am currently the oldest person on our team. Bruce and Paul: if you can tolerate us little kids, you should both come play. I'll make sure you get info about the first practices next fall.
And for that, of course, much of the Northeast is grateful. :smile:

Then again, I guess it's been a while since Jeff Johnson played for Harvard. . . .
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

Heading to Maryland to start MLS studies. (but for those of you who know me, this isn't a huge surprise...)

Not sure how my work-study-life balance will be, but if I'm able to (without driving myself nuts), I will join MAQT.

~T~
Last edited by sabine01 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

samer wrote:And for that, of course, much of the Northeast is grateful. :smile:
No they aren't. We are all grateful you're not "editing" Penn Bowl anymore though.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

:iceburn:
jollyjew
Lulu

Post by jollyjew »

Carleton's graduating three this year. I'll be at Chicago for at least the next year and hope to play as much as possible. Max is going off to Boston University to do something with numbers and doesn't plan on playing in the future. And Pat for now is planning to start up a one-man team at North Dakota, but he has yet to hear from some places.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

No they aren't. We are all grateful you're not "editing" Penn Bowl anymore though.
No doubt about it, Jerry calls the nappy-headed ho like he sees it.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Not that anyone cares probably, but our Russki resident Senior and most frequent captain Misha will be gone and won't be doing any grad school in all likelihood, which means he'll retire to spear fishing at his home in Minnesota, so perhaps he can get Bruce some seafood if he's too lazy to go to Red Lobster.

He might try to show up at the Minnesota Twin Cities HSNCT mirror with a couple of his former Orono HS teammates though, and in any case we'll have him at the Moon Pie Classic for his last official W&M tournament.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Matt Morrison wrote:which means he'll retire to spear fishing at his home in Minnesota, so perhaps he can get Bruce some seafood if he's too lazy to go to Red Lobster.
Do they even have Red Lobster in the Boston area? All I've seen there is "Legal Seafood", which frankly isn't as good. The trout is too dry.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

With a name like Legal Seafood, how could it not be good? And for the many quizbowlers of different persuasions, try our affiliates Barely Legal Seafood and Jailbait Seafood; the trout there is plenty wet behind the proverbial ears.
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

Since my efforts to use my wusta to get flights from London to Sana'a cancelled are doing nothing to ruin Jordan Boyd-Graber's weekends, I'm going to probably go to the University of Maryland to be better positioned for scheming to disrupt the weekends of Princeton college bowl personnel. I'll probably play quizbowl as a means to that end.
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

canaanbananarama wrote:Since my efforts to use my wusta to get flights from London to Sana'a cancelled are doing nothing to ruin Jordan Boyd-Graber's weekends,
My life has meaning again.
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Next fall, I intend to enroll at Lansing Community College in order to begin my associate's degree. You see, I have high hopes of becoming a paralegal -- my only goal in life is to work at the law practice of one shadowy Leo Wolberg, whose true identity remains a mystery to this very day.

That said, my matriculation at LCC will allow me to then assemble the greatest community college team in the history of quizbowl and obtain my most significant victory at the 2008 ICT Community College Championship. It is then, and only then, that quizbowl posterity will bestow upon me the immortality for which I have yearned since the dawn of my playing days back in high school in Beverly Hills -- Beverly Hills, MI, that is.

So, Freeburn, you coming here next year?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Perhaps Jonathan Thompson can find a way to play in Div II at the ICT for a fourth straight year and can join your team as well?
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

I'm conserving my eligibility in order to win Division II in 2018.

On the moon.
Trey
Lulu

Post by Trey »

When is the University of Phoenix "Dream Team" going to start competing?
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling
Wakka

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Sampling »

I'm beginning a Ph.D. program at Wash. U. in St. Louis in the fall.

A certain Princeton dinosaur of the late '90s was seriously considering joining me there, but, Heaven help us, he's off to Illinois instead. I don't know if that means he'll play there or not, but it certainly can't help.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '12
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

I'm pretty sure current member of MAQT Phil Durkos is going to a graduate program at UCLA. I don't know if he'll play there, but he's a solid lit player. Also, the highlight of ACF Nationals (at least for me) was watching him 30 the bonus on Christine de Pizan.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

deep_friar wrote:...A certain Princeton dinosaur of the late '90s was seriously considering joining me there, but, Heaven help us, he's off to Illinois instead.
Whom are you talking about?

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

One of Harding's players, Luke Snodgrass, will probably be starting a team at North Alabama. Other former players will be attending grad school at Wake Forest and Old Dominion, but will probably not continue playing.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Jason Loy wrote:Other former players will be attending grad school at Wake Forest and Old Dominion, but will probably not continue playing.
I hope they reconsider. Wake Forest has a team that gets out to a couple of events every year, and Old Dominion is within easy distance of lots of Mid-Atlantic tournaments.