HSNCT Mirror @ University of Maryland - 6/30

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

HSNCT Mirror @ University of Maryland - 6/30

Post by Mike Bentley »

University of Maryland’s 2007 NAQT HSNCT Mirror
Saturday, June 30th, 2007

The University of Maryland will be conducting a mirror of the 2007 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament on Saturday, June 30th, 2007. Note that this is one week later that we originally annoucned. We will be holding a mirror of USF's Sun 'n Fun 8 and 1/2 on the original date of Saturday, June 23rd instead. The Chris McCray Trash Tournament is still taking place on Sunday, June 24th.

This tournament is open to any high school or college player who did not play or staff at the 2007 NAQT HSCNT. Assuming we get enough teams in each division, we will award seperate prizes for high school and college teams.

Because NAQT packets are shorter than your typical ACF Packet and balanced around the entire packet, we will be reading 26 tossups in each packet. The matches will not be timed. We plan on reading as many packets as scheduling and timing allows.

Pricing:

+ $55 – Base Entrance Fee Per Team
- $5 – Per working buzzer system.
- $10 – Per competent moderator (as determined by the Tournament Director).
- $5 – Travel discount for coming from over 250 miles one way away per school.

Minimum Fee Per Team: $35

Please contact me, Mike Bentley, at mike000 at umd dot edu (note that those are three zeros) if you wish to register for this tournament. Please mention how many buzzers you are bringing, how many extra moderators you are bringing, and if you think you qualify for a travel discount.

Anyone wishing to volunteer as a reader or scorekeeper for this tournament should also contact me at the e-mail address above.

I am also willing to put together teams of free agents, so if you currently don’t have a team or a complete team, please still register for the tournament.

More details on when and where registration will be will be posted shortly.
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Thu May 03, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

How about college players that staff the HSNCT? Do they get to play? :cool: :cool: :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

E.T. Chuck wrote:How about college players that staff the HSNCT? Do they get to play? :cool: :cool: :cool:
Whoops. That is now fixed.
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

With the 25 tossup thing, when is halftime defined for scorecheck and substitution purposes? Or are there just not going to be any halftime subs?

In terms of game length too, you never know how long rounds will take based on moderator speed. At sectionals I think we only got through 19 tossups on average, and once or twice only had 16. So for normalcy's sake, if not timed, then 20 tossups would be good unless of course you have moderators you know will move along quickly.

Personally I despise single-tossup overtime; it would be nice to do it NAQT's way at least. Plus I'd rather just have 20 tossup games and play more rounds.

Will powers still be in effect?
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:With the 25 tossup thing, when is halftime defined for scorecheck and substitution purposes? Or are there just not going to be any halftime subs?

In terms of game length too, you never know how long rounds will take based on moderator speed. At sectionals I think we only got through 19 tossups on average, and once or twice only had 16. So for normalcy's sake, if not timed, then 20 tossups would be good unless of course you have moderators you know will move along quickly.

Personally I despise single-tossup overtime; it would be nice to do it NAQT's way at least. Plus I'd rather just have 20 tossup games and play more rounds.

Will powers still be in effect?
Hrmm, we may consider changing it so that we just do 26 tossups and have halftime after 13 to have an even number. We can probably just use the extra packets to break any potential ties.

We'll be doing all or most of the tossups in each packet since NAQT balances packets amongst the entire 26 questions. This will hypotehtically lead to fairer packets than just reading 20 each time.

Even if our moderators aren't that quick (which hopefully won't be the case), the shortness of NAQT questions means that we should be able to get through rounds at least as fast as your typical ACF packet (30 minutes or so). Not having as many rooms running as at Sectionals should also make things in between rounds go faster than at that tournament.
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Well I guess 26/26 would work okay; packet eveness is a just cause. In order to save time and keep moderators from having to go off and find another round, you could always leave ties unbroken, at least in the initial RR.

Are you going to keep powers?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:Well I guess 26/26 would work okay; packet eveness is a just cause. In order to save time and keep moderators from having to go off and find another round, you could always leave ties unbroken, at least in the initial RR.

Are you going to keep powers?
Oh, sorry. Yes, we are keeping powers.

The only rules we are changing will be that we will not be timing rounds and that we will give you an ACF style 5 seconds to answer tossups (rather than NAQT's 2 seconds).
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Sweet.

Oh but can we add Chris' rule too:
DumbJaques wrote:one of the things that got annoying last year when they mirrored it in MN was some guy bragging about winning or getting a high score. I propose mandatory stoning to death of anyone who does this, using thrown chairs in the Muellerian style rather than actual stones.
at least for solo/2 man teams that brag about individual scoring?

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If people are especially interested in playing in this tournament, please contact me at [email protected] soon or else it may not happen (more details on this later).
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Also, would it be okay with a moderator if I posted this on the Regular Tournament Announcements on the high school board as well? Since it is open to high school players not attending the HSNCT, I think it would be appropriate over there.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Ok, this tournament is now delayed a week. In its place we will be running a mirror of USF's Sun 'n Fun tournament. The announcement has been changed to reflect this.
Mike Bentley
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

Is this still happening? I might try to get a team (or two) together in the next week if so.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

This is most certainly still happening. There's a corresponding thread in the high school section about it that might make this one appear kind of dead, but it's still on.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Field Update:

Chris Ray and Friends (1)
William and Mary (1)
Maryland House Team (1+)
I’m pretty sure there is some group of DC area high school players coming to this tournament (1)

Possible:
Rutgers
1 or 2 teams from UNC? See above post.

We are still accepting registrations for all of these tournaments. If you do not yet have a team, please still register and we can match you up with other freelance players. To register, please contact me at [email protected].

Remember that all of these tournaments are open to all players (whether you’re on a high school team, college team, or not on any team). For details on any of the tournaments, please see previous announcements. When and where registration will be happening for these tournaments will be sent to teams soon.
Mike Bentley
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

We're semi-officially sending two chimera teams of Wake Forest/UNC/Duke players to the tournament, probably with one buzzer set each. We'll have final, definite confirmation of this by the 26th or 27th, but right now I would put the likelihood of two teams attending at 90% or so and the likelihood of at least one at virtually 100%.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Are either of those teams going to stick around for Sun 'n Fun on Sunday?
Mike Bentley
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

ikillkenny wrote:Are either of those teams going to stick around for Sun 'n Fun on Sunday?
Chris just reminded me last night about the date change, so I'm going to talk to everyone and ask. I probably won't have a final answer until I confirm HSNCT, though.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

If anyone attending/considering attending this tournament is teamless, they should let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Alright, I'm officially registering the "Archrivals" (UNC/Duke) team; we'll have the travel discount and two buzzer systems. Someone from Wake should be posting here or contacting you sometime soon confirming their team's setup.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Casanova Frankenstein wrote:Alright, I'm officially registering the "Archrivals" (UNC/Duke) team; we'll have the travel discount and two buzzer systems. Someone from Wake should be posting here or contacting you sometime soon confirming their team's setup.
You may want to email the tournament director. As far as I know, this forum is not a means of registration.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Field Update:

Chris Ray and Friends (1)
Matt Morrison and Friends (1)
Wake Forest (1)
UNC / Duke (1)
Maryland House Team (1)
Dan Schafer / Neel Kotra / Jon Pinyon (1)

If you are a freelance player for this tournament and are not on one of the above teams (or are a team that I forgot to list), please contact me immediately at [email protected]. Also, if your team is looking for freelance players, also contact me. Registration will be open essentially until the tournament starts on Saturday.

Registration Details:

The tournament will be taking place in the Reckord Armory building. You can reach this building by turning left at the "M" traffic circle and then taking the second left into the Lot L parking lot. Parking should be free on weekends, and is right outside of the Armory. We will be meeting in room 0126, a big lecture hall. Registration will be taking place from 8:30-9:00 AM. We will be reading a maximum of 16 rounds, although possibly not that many depending on time (the tournament will be ending at 6).
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey guys, due to a family related issue I will be unable to TD the mirror in person on Saturday. But the tournament is still going on as planned, with Brad Houston and Brittany Clark taking over the role as TDs. You can still send any questions you might have in the next 24 hours to me, though.

By the way, I will be at the Sun 'n Fun mirror on Sunday.
Mike Bentley
ramlrasul
Lulu

Post by ramlrasul »

Thank you to everyone who came to the tournament and to all those that helped out.

We ran a double round robin (of four teams) and then players were reshuffled into new teams and 3 more rounds were played. The winner of the first half was team SLA's Revenge (Chris Ray, Rebecca Fischer) and the winner of the second half was Team 1 (Chris Ray, Rebecca Fischer, Neel Kotra).

Full stats will be posted later.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The full stats will be up later tonight. I forgot to put them up yesterday.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Mike Bentley