NAQT Sectional @ Univ. of Iowa

Old college threads.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

NAQT Sectional @ Univ. of Iowa

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Ok, so I'm not really sure what the official name was for the region since Michigan was the "Midwest." So I am assuming this is the NAQT North Sectional.

Whatever it is actually called, Carleton A (Pat, Max, Jack, John?... sorry .. not sure exactly who all was on it) won the DI crown along with the undergrad title.

In DII, WashU A (Neel, Katie, Laura, Ben) went undefeated throughout the day and defeated Illinois A in the playoff championship.

Top scorers for the day were Ezra Lyon of Minnesota for DI and Brendan Byrne of Drake for DII.

That's the short and dirty breakdown of the winners. I don't have exact stats obviously but I didn't see a thread devoted to this one already.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

D1 standings looked something like this
Carleton-A 13-1
Wisconsin 12-2
Minnesota
Carleton-B
Grinnell
Macalester
Wash U 2-12
Iowa St 1-13

I think 3-6 are the right order, but not sure. Minnesota beat Wisconsin in the last round to prevent them from being even with Carleton-A and forcing a playoff.

D2 top results were
Wash U-A 12-1 (Drake-A)
Illinois-A 12-1 (WU-A)
Drake-A 11-2 (Ill-A, Olaf-A)
And I think Olaf was 4th.

The playoff went the full 24 questions with a minute to spare, and Wash U won 280-225 to grab the title.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Oops ... so WashU did lose one ... but still a great performance.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
karm
Kimahri

Post by karm »

St. Olaf A was tied with Illinois B for 4th. (though they creamed us in stats).
adg1034
Lulu

Post by adg1034 »

As a member of the Macalester DII team, I had a lot of fun at this tournament, and was impressed with the quality of teams that showed up. I was surprised that both Drake and St. Olaf were playing as DII teams, having previously played them and seen the caliber of their teams, but this was a well-run, well-played tournament. Nice job to all. My team did feel a little frustrated at losing so many close matches (not counting our games against Drake A and St. Olaf A, I believe the average margin of the games we lost was somewhere between 40-60 points), especially those to WashU A and Illinois A (nice job, by the way, on your first- and second-place finishes), but that's Quiz Bowl. All in all, though, we had a great time, and we're already looking forward to both the CB Regional at Hamline and next year's NAQT Sectional.
Andrew Guyton
Macalester College (formerly of Chaska High School, MN)
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

I thoroughly enjoyed the tournament, and was very impressed with the caliber of the teams involved. Congratulations to Wash U A for besting us in the final, and thanks to Iowa for a smoothly run tournament.
Summoned Skull
Lulu

Post by Summoned Skull »

Does anybody know when stats will be posted?
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Nope ... I don´t know if any of the Iowa people are on the boards since there was no thread created by them in the first place. So we might just have to wait until NAQT gets all the stats together and on their site.
Kent Buxton
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I don't have the D1 stats, but here are the D2 stats.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Looking at these, these are seriously wrong. The only game entered for the last round (before the final) was Illinois A v. Grinnell.
adg1034
Lulu

Post by adg1034 »

I completely agree. Also, a teammate of mine, Rob Heyman, is listed as only having four powers the entire tournament, and he had at least 10, including three in one round. Not sure what's going on here, but I'd like to see the real stats.
Andrew Guyton
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Yeah, not that it will affect anything overall but we had another decently big game in the final game that should bring up bonus conversion and such more.

I think that we should be up for the inconsistency award though.... if there is such a thing. We went 7-6 for the day but our wins were generally pretty big and our losses were generally pretty bad.... except against WashU A and Illinois A where it was at 50 points total for the two games. But then look at the loss to Grinnell. We scored 70 pts with a Bonus conversion of 10.00 ..... that's umm .. championship material there.

Oh well, good tournament but we will be working very hard to get better now that I think the other people on my team have realized the competition level and know what is required to get up to the level we want to be (up to our potential).
Kent Buxton
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Inconsistency? You wanna talk inconsistency?

MacAlester took us to the final tossup, you guys (Truman A) got within 40, and in the 3rd playoff game, the final score against our B team was 175-100. After that, we beat Drake A 440-240 and stomped Grinnell 420-80.
adg1034
Lulu

Post by adg1034 »

DaGeneral wrote:Inconsistency? You wanna talk inconsistency?

MacAlester took us to the final tossup, you guys (Truman A) got within 40, and in the 3rd playoff game, the final score against our B team was 175-100. After that, we beat Drake A 440-240 and stomped Grinnell 420-80.
At least my team was consistent...ly losing by ~40 points. You're on Illinois A, right? I wouldn't necessarily call us taking you to the final tossup a bad thing on your part; modesty aside, we had a really good team at Iowa. At least you guys got wins out of all of those matches...
Andrew Guyton
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Yeah really .. we were typically on the losing end of those close ones. We lost by 10 to WashU A, 10 to Illinois B (in the morning when we were playing like crap), and then 40 to you guys (when we were playing decently at least).

Not to make excuses but our 2nd and 4th best players couldn't make it due to personal issues. I would say that we did OK with the team we could take. Good luck to WashU, Illinois, and Drake at ICT though.
Kent Buxton
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Also worth noting is that two games have 0 tossups read. Illinois-B vs Olaf-B and Carleton-A vs Olaf-B, anyone from either of those teams keeping score and knows how many tossups were read?
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Post by Andy Saunders »

Can you link us to the stats?
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Andy Saunders wrote:Can you link us to the stats?
DaGeneral wrote:I don't have the D1 stats, but here are the D2 stats.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Just in the interim, based on my scoresheets of the Round 14 WU-A/Drake-A and Tiebreaker game (which NAQT counts since it is on the clock), here are the full stats for the top three teams (St. Olaf is also in the bid mix according to M.W. but I don't know what happened in their Round 14)

Round 14: Drake-A 380, WUSTL-A 165 (21 TU)
Drake-A 2/10/0, 250/12; WUSTL-A 1/5/4, 120/6

Tiebreaker: WUSTL-A 280, Illinois-A 225 (24 TU)
WUSTL-A 3/7/1, 170/10; Illinois-A 4/6/6, 135/10

Things don't change terribly much, but here they are:

Code: Select all

Team Name   W-L Win% 15  10 -5 Pts/TU Power% Pts/B
WUSTL-A    13-1 .929 22 112 27 13.066  8.03% 16.90
Illinois-A 12-2 .857 37 111 48 14.639 13.36% 17.77
Drake-A    11-2 .846 25 125 19 18.272 10.16% 19.77
Ulugbek
Lulu

Stats...

Post by Ulugbek »