Penn Bowl quick results

Old college threads.
Ray
Lulu

Penn Bowl quick results

Post by Ray »

Brown defeated Chicago A in the finals after an abbreviated round robin to remain the only undefeated team in the field and win the tournament.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Uh, how abbreviated?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

solonqb wrote:Uh, how abbreviated?
Well, when it became obvious they would not get through the prelims and their readers would mutiny, they just said "enough is enough, we're going to playoffs" after 8 of the 11 prelim games.
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Stats were sent to me and may be found at

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/pennbowl2007/ ... dings.html .
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Matt Weiner wrote:Stats were sent to me and may be found at

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/pennbowl2007/ ... dings.html .
These stats aren't even right. UNC A was in our bracket and played 8 rounds but many teams in the same bracket are listed as playing only 6, even though every team should have played 7 (I know we did). Also, it would have been nice to have the playoff stats; for some reason many recent tournaments haven't included them.
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Yeah, those stats are very very wrong. For example, Chicago B evidently only heard 60 questions and still managed to place third. Funny, because in a total of six rounds we anwered 78 tossups and had 16 negs. Unless someone decided to change from base 10 to base 20 arithmetic half way through, I don't think those stats reflect reality. As for playoff stats, I sympathize with the tournament directors. It was late and we were all very tired of hearing Wallace Stevens bonuses. I think my stats went down in the playoffs due to Seth Samelson's beastly offense, so I'm not complaining too much.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:YFor example, Chicago B evidently only heard 60 questions and still managed to place third.
I have to say that scoring 440 points in a game where 0 tossups were read is mighty impressive.