ANNOUNCEMENT: OHT 3 at Ottawa (3/24/07)

Old college threads.
bsmith
Tidus

ANNOUNCEMENT: OHT 3 at Ottawa (3/24/07)

Post by bsmith »

The third edition of the Ottawa Hybrid Tournament will take place on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at the University of Ottawa. All are welcome to participate.

Fees: $60 for the first team from a school/organization, $50 each for additional teams. Minimum fee of $0.

-$10 for each working buzzer system
-$10 for each full-time moderator
-$5 for each rotating moderator (ie: having 5 players on a team and sending 1 out each round)
-$10 distance discount (roughly 450 km: essentially beyond Toronto, Albany, North Bay, and Quebec City)

Packet discounts (all deadlines are Saturdays at 11:59 PM Ottawa time):
-$60 before Jan 6, 2007 (team plays for free)
-$45 before Feb 3, 2007
-$35 before Feb 10, 2007
-$25 before Feb 24, 2007
-$15 before Mar 10, 2007
At my discretion after March 10.

Arrangements can be made for freelance packets or mirrors.

Distribution:
2/2 Literature. Spread out the forms, genres, geography, etc.
2/2 History. Spread out the time, geography, etc.
2/2 Science. 1 each on bio, chem, physics, and other.
2/2 to 3/3 Arts and Humanities. Can be R/M/P, fine arts, and geography.
1/1 to 2/2 Social Science. Can be psychology, economics, linguistics, law, etc.

2/2 TV. Spread out the decades and genres.
2/2 Pop Music. After WWII. Spread out the decades and genres.
2/2 Movies/Musicals. After WWI. Spread out the decades and genres.
2/2 Sports. At least 3 sports.
2/2 Other Trash. Internet, literature, games, brands, etc.

4/4 Your choice. Variety of above topics, or other categories that don't fit in.

*note for pop culture: please limit the "adult" topics. There may be HS students present getting their volunteer hours.

*don't lift phrases from Wikipedia, websites, or encyclopedias. You can quote primary sources (literature, research papers, song lyrics, etc). Blatant plagiarism will result in a loss of packet discounts, effective whenever I first notice it.

Any questions and packets can be sent to uotrivia AT yahoo.ca

Thanks,

Ben Smith,
Director and editor, OHT 3.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

After two discounts going by, I have three submitted packets. I hope more teams are planning to take advantage of the remaining discounts.

There are five teams signed up:

-Carleton (2 teams)
-Lisgar CI
-Brock S.
-Trivia Hall of Fame

It's nice to have local interest, but I'm assuming there will be visitors from other parts of Canada/NY.

Also, with a high school team registered, I will be scrapping adult content and strong profanity from the questions. I hope the other teams will understand the need for this change.

We will meet in Lamoureux Hall, like previous tournaments at U of O. However, due to a room booking conflict, games will be in nearby Brooks building. The start will probably be 10 AM, unless I see significant interest in starting at 9.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Another packet deadline is this Saturday, and the final deadline is March 10. There have been no new registrations since the last update, but some more interest came out of the Canadian SCT.

EDIT: this post is now for field updates.

Carleton A (* P)
Carleton B (* P)
Lisgar A (* P)
Lisgar B (* P)
McGill A (P)
McGill B (* P)
McGill C (* P)
"Free agents" (P)
Trivia Hall of Fame crew
Rochester A (P)
Rochester B (P)
Rochester C (P)
McMaster/Queen's (P)
Toronto A (P)
Toronto B
Toronto C

P = packet submitted; p = planning a packet; * = “noviceâ€
Last edited by bsmith on Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Tomorrow is the last packet deadline, unless you have made arrangements. Keep the packets coming, though- 14 would be nice.

I will tentatively cap the field now at 15, just to keep my sanity and because schedules between 16 and 19 teams are lousy for keeping even pools and byes. 15 teams would be all the "registered" teams and all the "interested" teams in the previous post, so if there's a school out there that has made no contact whatsoever, this is essentially a last call.

The schedule will be pool play, then playoff brackets. The 10-team and 14-team schedules will have elimination playoffs to decide the winners.

The novice title is going ahead: keep in mind the asterisked teams are the only ones that are definitely "novice"; there could be others that just haven't explicitly stated so yet.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

16 teams competed at the third Ottawa Hybrid Tournament. This is off the top of my head, but I believe the order of the top bracket went as:

1. Triviahalloffame.com
2. Toronto B all you can B (novice)
3. Free agents (Andy, Jordan, Brock)
4. The Polymaths (Carleton, novice)
5. McGill B (novice)
6. Team Barbarian (Toronto)

Congratulations to the group from Triviahalloffame.com for the win, after two previous years of being runners-up. Toronto B, by virtue of their second-place finish, earned the novice title from amongst several novice teams that reached the top bracket. Paul Paquet of Triviahalloffame.com was the top individual after pool play.

I will have stats available and will send out the packet set to the teams once I return to my home computer. Also, there will be a mirror in Vancouver and a partial mirror in Georgia, so questions shouldn't be discussed publicly on places like this.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

16 teams, representing 8 different schools or groups, attended the third Ottawa Hybrid tournament. Teams were split into 2 pools of 8, then followed by crossover brackets of top 3, middle 3, bottom 2.

Originally, Triviahalloffame.com was declared champion outright. They are still in first place based on the proposed tiebreaking stats, but it appears that a win for Toronto "B all you can B" was missed during the later statkeeping, and they managed to sweep their crossover games to tie with Triviahalloffame.com at records of 8-2. Thus, Toronto B can be declared "co-champions" if they so desire. They were still awarded a second-place trophy and a trophy for placing as the top novice team. "Misconstrued Inside Joke", a group of free agents, finished third. "Team Barbarian" was fourth, unlike what I originally thought.

After pool play, Paul of Triviahalloffame.com was the top scorer at 45 PPG. Angus of McGill A followed at 41, and Stephen of "Team Superfluous" and Becky of "The Smiths" each had 38. (These numbers and rankings became wildly different after the crossover games)

Statistics are now available in SQBS form here:

http://ca.geocities.com/uotrivia/oht07/ ... dings.html

Thanks to everyone who turned out, and apologies for the delays in the later rounds. We look forward to seeing teams at the next Ottawa Hybrid Tournament, which will probably be held the Saturday after St. Patrick's Day, 2008.

Finally, these questions are being used in a full mirror in Vancouver next week, and at a partial mirror in Georgia in May. Please make sure you don't pass along question content to these areas.