ANNOUNCEMENT: Early Fall Tournament at Georgia Tech (10/08)

Old college threads.
ASimPerson
Rikku

ANNOUNCEMENT: Early Fall Tournament at Georgia Tech (10/08)

Post by ASimPerson »

This is the official announcment for Georgia Tech's hosting of the 2006 Early Fall Tournament. For details about the EFT itself, check out its thread.

Please note that due to a home football game versus Maryland on the 7th, we are having the tournament on Sunday, October 8. Also note that this is an open tournament.

Details:
Start time: Registration begins at 9:00am, with play starting at 10.
Rounds: At least 12 (provided we have enough teams)
Price:
Base fee: $80
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working system that we use (so bring 'em, because we need them)
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles
Minimum fee: $60

So far I've had interest from Seth Kendall, UGA, and Wake Forest. If you're interested as well, send an e-mail to asimperson at gmail.com or [email protected] (the latter of which fowards to the former). Also contact me if you have any cocerns about where to stay in Atlanta, etc.

There will be a more detailed announcement on our website soon, but I need to nail down the building first. So stay tuned, kids.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Plenty of room down here...I have at least 5 confirmed teams at this point: Kendall, UTC, UGA, Vandy, and FSU.

So if you're in the area and you're interested, let me know.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

So I have to wonder - where is everyone for this tournament? Is it because it's a Sunday? Too early? Is it a bad idea for both sites to also have one at USF? It'd be a shame to have such a small field for the first big tournament of the year, especially since packet submission wasn't even required. Billy, are you bringing teammates for FSU? If not, it looks like our two teams will provide about half the people there.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

At the moment, I have at least two people going with me.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Next week would've been more ideal, circuit-wise. But our fall break is next weekend, which is bad staffing-wise.

We even tried asking some HS teams to come, but apparently Walton's tournament is this weekend, so that didn't work out.

I don't think having one at USF sapped anyone who was coming up here - I never heard from anyone south of Tallahassee even before USF announced their mirror.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Congrats to Vandy A for running the table and going 10-0. Kentucky finished 2nd with an 8-2 record, with those two losses coming to Vandy A.

I'll have stats in a bit.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Thanks to Ga Tech for hosting and running things efficiently. It was definitely back in the right direction after their last couple of fall tournaments. Can we get those stats? Thanks.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I totally agree with Matt. The readers were good, stats were posted after every round, and we got done at a reasonable time. Too bad more southeastern teams didn't come, though.

Thanks GT,
Billy
barnacles
Lulu

Post by barnacles »

Yea, the tournament went well and it was good to see a new team (on this circuit, anyway), Georgia, there. I too wonder why some more teams (notably, in my mind, Berry and UTK) didn't show up, but it was run well nonetheless.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Sorry for the delay, I've had a barrage of midterms, projects, and job interviews this week.

Stats are available here:
http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~nbendl ... dings.html

They're subject to move at some point, but I couldn't put them on the team website because that server's disk is somehow full.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

If USF was not hosting a mirror, we probably would have sent two teams. Although since theirs was just cancelled due to a few teams dropping in the last week, maybe next time we'll just drive up to GTech instead.