Brandeis Wirt Mirror (Jack Abramoff memorial graft open) 3/4

Old college threads.
Rothlover
Yuna

Brandeis Wirt Mirror (Jack Abramoff memorial graft open) 3/4

Post by Rothlover »

Hey ya'll, this is an announcement of our mirror of the Weiner/Litvak/Passner/mirror packet collaborative William Wirt tournament on March 4th. Our mirror is named after a noted and much beloved alum. We could really use staff for this event, as you know, we ply you with pizza (it isn't $20 a head Provino's, but its food) and moderators from schools will earn a nice discount.

Base fee should be $95 a team, but to encourage staff and buzzers, it will be $75 if you bring either a buzzer or staff $65 if you bring both, and there are travel discounts and whatnot, and probably multiple team discounts (I realize this is higher than the UMCP site, but we have a lot of host fees involved, we aren't trying to milk lots of money or anything.)

Also, this is an open event, so if dinosaurs in the region want in, holla back (Nathan Freeburg, you know you wanna holla.)

Anyway, if you are interested, e-mail me danpass at brandeis dot edu

Dan
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Nathan
Lulu

Post by Nathan »

crap...I have a friend in town next weekend...
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

If anyone reads this and is still interested (the field being up to 6-7 teams) e-mail me. If not, for those who will miss my e-mail be in the Golding auditorium at 9AM
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Steve Watchorn
Lulu

Post by Steve Watchorn »

In lieu of Dan, who is most likely getting some well-deserved rest as I type, I'll make the brief announcement of results for yesterday's tournament.

Four teams braved sunny skies and reasonably warm temperatures to attend Brandeis's Wirt mirror yesterday, for a very collegial and enjoyable tournament. Brown, Yale, Amherst, and Tufts played a triple round-robin, followed by two final games of 1 vs. 2 and 3 vs. 4. Without exact statistics on hand, I can say that Brown won the tournament, with Yale finishing second, followed by Amherst and Tufts (who both played very well on questions which definitely, in many spots, challenged inexperienced teams). Brown's Jerry Vinokurov was top scorer, with Mike Wehrman and Andrew from Yale second and third. More complete results will undoubtedly follow, so I will leave that to Dan...

Speaking as myself, I'd like to thank Matt, Dan, and all the contirbutors for an enjoyable set of questions. While there were a few repeats and some odd grammatical errors which made a few questions difficult to follow, the sets were quite well done, especially for being generated by so few people at a very busy time of year. Even when the going was slow, fun was had by all, I think. So thanks again to those involved in making it happen.
Steve Watchorn
University of Michigan CBI Team 1991
University of Wisconsin - Madison Quiz Bowl 1995-2001
NAQT contributor (and often available for others as well)
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Thanks Steve for posting the initial results (I was, in fact hibernating.) I should have sqbs stats with round reports and all those fancy things after my midterm tommorrow, so you know, wait with baited breath and all.
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

I'd like to thank the writers for a very enjoyable tournament, and to thank Brandeis for hosting this mirror; it was a great pity that so few Boston teams came out. It was all well and good to play Brown five times, but a little more variety would have been nice.

Congratulations to Brown; all of our matches were close (except for the one after things had been decided), but they definitely outplayed us.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Stats are now up here: A triple RR was followed by two playoff rounds.

http://www.texasquizbowl.org/d/stats/Passner/Abramoff/

packets by rd are as follows: 1. Weiner #1 2. Passner #1 3. Litvak 4. Frankel 5. Passner #2 6. Chi-Laf 7. Mich-Ill 8. Passner 3 9. Vandy 1 playoff packets rd 10. Passner 4 rd 11. Weiner 2.

I would like to personally thank all those who contributed questions, including the above listed authors as well as Ray Luo for writing the science for my packets, Eric Douglass, Chris Romero as well as Leos Wolpert Wolperx and Wolberg (who wrote a question each), and of course Matt who basically made the whole event possible. I would like to thank Steve Watchorn and Zach and Evan for staffing, and to the teams themselves for coming out. I apologize for any problems with packets (especially as it relates to grammatical stuff,) and state, mea culpa. Again, a reminder not to discuss specific q's until after vanderbilt's mirror though if you want to vent at me, you know my e-mail. Also, I'd like to urge people to come to, and write for, Brown's event, so that it can occur.

Dan