2020 ACF Winter at Iowa (11/7/2020)

Old college threads.
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

2020 ACF Winter at Iowa (11/7/2020)

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Hello! I am pleased to announce that the North site of 2020 ACF Winter will be held at Iowa on Saturday, November 7, 2020.

The tournament will take place virtually on Discord. The opening meeting will begin at 8:45 A.M. CT and gameplay will begin at 9 A.M. CT. My name is Ganon Evans and I will be the tournament director. Please direct any questions about this site to me at [email protected].

Eligibility
In general, teams where players are all attending the same school and all taking at least one class for credit during the 2020–2021 school year are eligible to play 2020 ACF Winter. ACF’s full eligibility rules are available here. Questions about eligibility should be directed to [email protected].

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s official gameplay rules. Please note that ACF’s rules have been modified for online gameplay.

Registration
Fill out the central 2020 ACF Winter registration form with all relevant information. I also politely ask if you could take a quick minute and email me directly at [email protected] as well. The form is here. The field for each site can be found here.

If possible, teams should register for the site that is geographically closest to them and/or is in the region they would normally attend. The field cap for all sites is 18, after which teams will be placed on a waitlist or potentially assigned to another site. Please register by November 2, 2020.
Fees
  • Base fee: $120
  • New to quizbowl discount: −$80
  • Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$60
  • Staffers: −$25 per staffer with a functional laptop. Staffers must register with ACF in advance by filling out this form.
The new to quizbowl discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2019, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Packet Submission
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or high school student) prior to September 1, 2019, is required to submit a half-packet. Please email [email protected] if you are unsure whether your team is required to submit a half-packet. A team that is not required to submit a packet may submit an optional packet by the no-penalty deadline for a $50 discount.

* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT SCT (Division I or Division II), NAQT ICT, and typical college-level academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Pop culture or “hybrid” tournaments, HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT’s Collegiate Novice series sets do not.

Here is the submission schedule:
  • September 6th, 2020: -$50
  • September 25th, 2020: -$25
  • October 4th, 2020: no penalty
  • October 18th, 2020: +$25
  • October 25th, 2020: +$50
If teams required to submit a half-packet have not submitted by November 1st, they will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

If your team is going to submit a half-packet, whether required or not, email [email protected] to request a distribution. All finished packets must be sent to that email before 11:59 PDT on the day listed to receive the discount or penalty. Please format the half-packet in .doc or .docx before sending it. The email subject line should list the name of the school, the team number (if applicable), and the words “half-packet.”
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Re: 2020 ACF Winter at Iowa (11/7/2020)

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

A huge congratulations to Minnesota A, who beat Carleton A in a one round final to win the tournament today! Carleton A ended up being the undergraduate champion, and Grinnell A was our DII champion. Scores for the day can be found here.

Congratulations to our top prelim scorers! Our top five were:
Jakob Boeye (Carleton A) - 90 ppg
Isaiah Gutman (Grinnell A) - 73 ppg
Nathan Clack (Iowa B) - 68 ppg
Tony Cosimini (Iowa A) - 43 ppg
Jackson Bartak (Nebraska A) - 43 ppg

I want to specifically thank some of the many many people who helped out with this tournament. First and foremost, thank you to ACF for letting us this tournament, and a huge thanks to Margaret Tebbe for being an awesome coordinator of this and all the other sites.

I want to specifically thank Nina Kaushikkar for helping me put together schedules, test the server, give advice, and just all around be a tremendous help to putting this event on. A huge thanks to Mike Sorice for saving us from bracketing disaster as well!

Thank you to our wonderful moderators who helped the tournament run today: Cole Kitzman, Blue Aguilar, Morgan Venkus, Brock Calamari, Kenneth Martin, Audrey Anderson, and Catherine Shawhan.

Thank you to all the teams who came out today, and I hope you enjoyed the tournament!
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021