IKEA Northeast Announcement (10/24)

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

IKEA Northeast Announcement (10/24)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I am pleased to announce the Northeast Mirror of IKEA, a medium difficulty college set written by the Georgia Tech and Columbia quiz bowl teams, which you can read more about here. The set will be around Terrapin 2016/DRAGOON difficulty, a 2.5 on Ophir's Calendar. This mirror is for "closed" college and high school teams from the states of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Maine.

I will be serving as Tournament Director and Coordinator for this site; Columbia team members will be providing staff.

Eligibility:
People enrolled in a university or high school are allowed to play with people from that same university or high school.

In order to register, please fill out the centralized google form here.

Payment:
The fee for this tournament will be $80. This can be paid by PayPal, Venmo, Check, or other methods if need be. There is also a new to quizbowl discount for colleges that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2019, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. This discount is $20.

Field Cap:
The field cap for this tournament will be 24 initially, with expansions possible if the demand is present.

Logistics:
This tournament will begin at 9 AM Eastern Time on October 24th. Please be on the server at 8:30; a link for the discord server the tournament will be taking place on will be sent to the contact email provided the week before.

We look forward to hosting you in October and hope you can play!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: IKEA Northeast Announcement (10/24)

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Can we see the field?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Snom
Lulu

Post by Snom »

High Dependency Unit wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:17 pm Can we see the field?
This sheet has fields for all IKEA mirrors (unless something has changed recently, in which case please correct me Will).
Albert Zhang
Columbia '24
State College '16-'20
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Albert is correct. I've updated the field based on who has registered so far.

As a note, the current plan is for this to be staffed by an in-house team of Columbia staffers, with a couple of outside mods. Thanks!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We currently have 10 teams signed up for this mirror. We have a lot of staff available, so I'm not instituting a field cap for now.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We're up to 12 teams. This is a good number, so I'll only allow further registration in pairs of two teams.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'm closing the field at 14 teams.

We are going to run a "paired round robin" where there will be two brackets of 7 teams each. The way this will work is that each team in Bracket 1 will play each of the 7 teams in Bracket 2 once each - this way, we can avoid byes.

Teams will then be sorted for playofs by PPG into the top 4 and bottom 3 teams of each bracket, and play each team in their initial prelims bracket within their playoff grouping. This will provide for 10 games for the teams in the top bracket (no byes) and 9 games for teams in the bottom bracket (1 bye).

EDIT: Teams on by in the bottom bracket playoffs will instead get a rematch against the team of the same playoff seed from the opposite bracket; I realize this breaks the rule of "same number of games against same common opponents" but it seems fair for providing equal numbers of games.

We will start at 9AM sharp. Email will be forthcoming.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

This was a very well-run tournament, and it ended just after 6 for most teams (which is great for 10 rounds of online play!). Want to thank Will and the rest of the staff for keeping things moving throughout.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Stats are posted. I want to sincerely apologize for screwing up the schedule of the bottom bracket - I hope everyone enjoyed the rounds they got to play regardless.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16