LIT Online Mirror, Texas/Rockies/Lower-Midwest (Sept. 26, 2020)

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

LIT Online Mirror, Texas/Rockies/Lower-Midwest (Sept. 26, 2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I am pleased to announce that the University of Texas will be hosting an online mirror of our set, Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT) 2020, on Saturday, September 26th, 2020. This mirror will be for the region of Texas, the Rockies, and the lower midwest.

For full information about the set, please see the following thread.

Regional Boundaries:
To be specific, the states included in this region are TX, LA, OK, NM, MO, KS, AR, CO, UT, WY, NE, ND, SD, MT. Teams with interest in an exception to play LIT in this region or another (outside of their own region) are encouraged to reach out to myself and the LIT editors will discuss the exception.

Location and Time:
The tournament will take place on Discord, with start time 9am central time. The use of a webcam will be required for this tournament, however, if you do not have access to a webcam but still wish to participate, or have other concerns about you personally using a webcam, please reach out to me via email in advance of the tournament.

Eligibility:
This will be a closed tournament. Teams must be comprised entirely of players enrolled at the same institution, with the exception that, given that LIT has been postponed from spring 2020, the set editors are allowing collegiate players to play for schools with which they were affiliated as of March 1, 2020. Players who have graduated since then and enrolled in a program at a different institution may choose to play for their previous or for their current affiliation. (This policy does not apply for new undergraduate freshman, who may not play this mirror with a closed high school team.)

Code of Conduct:
This tournament will have a Code of Conduct that will be sent to all registered and interested teams well in advance of the tournament. The code of conduct for the set can also be found in the main thread linked earlier in this post. All participants must agree to adhere to the Code of Conduct in order to participate in the tournament.

Please email me at [email protected] with the number of teams you'd like to sign up, and with the number of staffer discounts you wish to claim.

The field cap is tentatively set at 20, after which teams will be placed on a waitlist. We may be able to expand beyond this cap if there is sufficient interest.

Fees:
Base fee: $90
Staffers: –$10 per staffer working the entirety of the tournament
-$10 for colleges that did not attend a collegiate tournament outside of NAQT Collegiate Novice, ACF Fall and NAQT SCT DII in the last academic year (i.e. September 2019 – May 2020)

Fees are preferably paid by Venmo. If you do not have access to Venmo, please reach out to me and we can find an alternative option.

We look forward to seeing you on discord on September 26th!

Current field: 12
Iowa State: 1
TAG Magnet: 1
WUSTL: 5
UC Boulder: 2
Grinnell: 1
Florida: 1
Rice: 1
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: LIT Online Mirror, Texas/Rockies/Lower-Midwest (Sept. 5, 2020)

Post by CPiGuy »

Is there a place to view the field for this tournament?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: LIT Online Mirror, Texas/Rockies/Lower-Midwest (Sept. 26, 2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

As an update, to prove more time for clubs in our region with later starting dates to sign-up, this tournament will now be taking place on September 26th, 2020. The current field is now also listed in the main post.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

A quick reminder that this tournament is happening this weekend and can handle more teams if there is interest. We would also like to avoid an odd numbered field if possible, so please email me if your club is in our region and would like to sign up teams.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

With our most recent signup I'm going to close the field for this tournament at 12. Teams should expect a logistics email sent tomorrow afternoon/evening at the latest. Thanks!
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

All team contacts and staffers should now have received a logistics email for this tournament. See everyone tomorrow morning!
Ryan Humphrey
Hot Soup
Lulu

Post by Hot Soup »

A bit late to this, but I just wanted to thank Ryan and other staffers at this tournament for an extremely well-run online tournament that ended at 5:30PM (!). The typical issues that I've seen in previous online tournaments (delays in playoff seeding, role assignment, etc.) were practically non-existent for this tournament, and I applaud their decision to keep the # of rounds manageable. This tournament definitely left me feeling a lot better about the future of online quiz bowl for the year ahead.
Paul Lee
Dunlap '15
Penn '19
WUSTL '2X
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Hot Soup wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:57 am A bit late to this, but I just wanted to thank Ryan and other staffers at this tournament for an extremely well-run online tournament that ended at 5:30PM (!). The typical issues that I've seen in previous online tournaments (delays in playoff seeding, role assignment, etc.) were practically non-existent for this tournament, and I applaud their decision to keep the # of rounds manageable. This tournament definitely left me feeling a lot better about the future of online quiz bowl for the year ahead.
Thanks Paul, I really appreciate hearing this! I'm also very glad to hear that these changes were well received by players as I'd hoped they would be. As a reference for future tournament hosts, creating playoff roles (A1, A2, etc.) and assigning them to rooms in advance made playoff seeding massively easier, assigning roles by myself I was genuinely done in ~60seconds after prelim stats were finished.

And I would also encourage future TDs to consider replicating this and using fewer rounds for their online tournaments (we felt 8 + finals if needed was reasonable and no one that I asked disagreed). Basically, no matter how talented and experienced your TD and staff are, you'll realistically struggle to finish rounds of a regs-adjacent or higher set in under an hour, so picking a 10+ round schedule is just destined to leave everyone frustrated by the end of the day. Online tournaments just aren't traditional tournaments and this is a convention worth relaxing a bit in my opinion. Picking a reasonable number of rounds saves everyone their evening and will almost always leave everyone happier from my experience.

Edit: Also the stats hadn't been linked yet in this thread. Congratulations to Florida A for winning this tournament! Full stats can be found here.
Ryan Humphrey