SQBS for Mac?

Old college threads.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

SQBS for Mac?

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Here at Chicago, pretty much a lot of us are Mac users and own iBooks or Powerbooks. Whenever we host a tournament, we're forced to search high and low for a Windows laptop in order to run SQBS, and for both ACF Fall and ACF Regionals this was a huge pain.

SQBS seems to me like it would be a very simple program. Has there ever been talk of porting it, or perhaps developing a similar program for the Mac?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

I got the code from Chris and made a half-hearted attempt to port, but it uses MFC classes, which are somewhat difficult to elegantly port. I think more progress has been made on a web-based version, but I'll let Dan B. speak to that.
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Peter Onyisi used to have some web-based stats program going on. I wonder whatever became of that.
AndySaunders
Lulu

Post by AndySaunders »

I know that Ben Smith up in Ottawa made a big deal about having used one of the Windows emulators (I can't remember which one specifically; I've never used a Mac and don't particularly intend to) in order to use SQBS...so that might be an option, I'm not sure.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

AndySaunders wrote:I know that Ben Smith up in Ottawa made a big deal about having used one of the Windows emulators (I can't remember which one specifically; I've never used a Mac and don't particularly intend to) in order to use SQBS...so that might be an option, I'm not sure.
Except emulators cost over $100 and can legally only be installed on one computer. Its simply not a cost-effective solution.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

AndySaunders wrote:I know that Ben Smith up in Ottawa made a big deal about having used one of the Windows emulators (I can't remember which one specifically; I've never used a Mac and don't particularly intend to) in order to use SQBS...so that might be an option, I'm not sure.
VirtualPC is the "official" one bundled with a business version of MS Office. It is rather expensive for the average university student. There are other cheaper ones to be found, but I'm waiting until they are reliable on the Intel Macs. The only thing I used VirtualPC for during the entire lifetime of my iBook was SQBS- thank goodness I didn't pay for it (hush, hush).

I have minimal programming ability, but I would support (perhaps even financially) something of the quality of SQBS available for Mac, be it a program, or something on the Web or Excel.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Doesn't Matt Bruce's Stats99 Excel macro work across platforms?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Stats99 is no SQBS.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?