Terrapin Open @ UMD (2/22/2020)

Old college threads.
Noble Rot
Lulu

Terrapin Open @ UMD (2/22/2020)

Post by Noble Rot »

I am pleased to announce that the University of Maryland will be hosting 2020 Terrapin Open on Saturday, February 22nd, 2019.

Question Set: Terrapin Open is a Nats-minus level tournament being written by members of the Maryland Academic Quiz Team, as well as several outside writers and editors. More information about the set can be found in the global announcement here.

Registration & Eligibility: This is an open tournament, meaning all players are eligible, whether enrolled in high school, college, or not currently enrolled at an educational institution. If you are interested in playing please enter your team name and roster on this spreadsheet, or put yourself down as a free agent. To register, please email [email protected] with all of the following information :
  1. If you are a school, the the number of teams you will be bringing.
  2. If you are an open team, your team name (preliminary) and at least two of the players who will be on your team.
  3. If you are bringing buzzers and/or staffers, the number of the former, and the name(s) of the latter.
  4. Contact email and a team contact number for tournament communications.
We are setting a preliminary field cap of 16 teams - this may be increased depending on staff availability. Please do not register teams of more than 6 people.

Logistics: The tournament will be held in Jimenez Hall at the University of Maryland.

Payment Information: Registration fees for this tournament are
  • Base fees of $135 for each team
  • -$20 for each team-provided staffer (preferably familiar with advanced stats) + laptop
  • -$15 for each team-provided buzzer set
The minimum fee is $50 per team

Teams may pay before or on the day of the tournament with either cash or check. Please make all checks out to "Maryland Academic Quiz Team."

Registered Teams (updated as of 1/24):
xXXi_wud_nvrnëg_ScïenceXXx (Minark et al.)
Texas A
Brownstein et al.
Bentley et al.
BHSU (Raje et al.)
A Visit From the Buffoon Squad (Prasad et al.)
Bilger et al.
Virginia A
Duke A
WUSTL
UNC A
UNC B

Please feel free to email [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you on February 22nd.
Last edited by Noble Rot on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Re: Terrapin Open @ UMD (2/22/2020)

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Do you anticipate running any side events on Sunday?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

As of now I'm still trying to figure out the room situation for Sunday, but a few people have expressed interest in running ACRONYM, so if we can get rooms, that would probably happen. If we can get rooms I'd be happy to run additional side events if there is interest.
Alex Echikson
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:40 pm Do you anticipate running any side events on Sunday?
Noble Rot wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm As of now I'm still trying to figure out the room situation for Sunday, but a few people have expressed interest in running ACRONYM, so if we can get rooms, that would probably happen. If we can get rooms I'd be happy to run additional side events if there is interest.
We have managed to get rooms for Sunday, and will be running a mirror of ACRONYM that day. I've added a second tab to the sign-up sheet for ACRONYM, which for the time being is limited to 8 teams. We'll be charging $20 per player.

To register, please put your team members and a contact email on the second tab of the sheet in the initial post.

I've also updated the original post with all registered teams. If you have signed up on the sign-up sheet but have not yet registered officially, please email [email protected] as soon as possible!
Alex Echikson
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

Thank you to all teams that came out and played TO today! Sheep Go to Heaven, GOATs Go to College Park (Jordan Brownstein, Matt Bollinger, Weijia Cheng, Chris Manners) cleared the field to claim victory.

Full stats have been posted and can be found here. If you notice any mistakes, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected], and I would be happy to correct them.

I'd also like to thank all the moderators who came out and helped staff this tournament: Caleb Kendrick, Ophir Lifshitz, Graham Reid, Vishwa Shanmugam, Jakobi Deslouches, Joelle Smart, Emmett Laurie, Alex Damisch, Sam Luongo, Brick Barrientos, Miranda Barrientos, James Zhou, Jack Mehr, Lawrence Simon, Cody Voight, Brian Sachs, Harry White, and Evan Adams. This tournament would not have been able to run nearly as smoothly without all of their help.

A private discussion forum for the set should be up soon - speaking on behalf of everyone who worked on TO, we would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.
Last edited by Noble Rot on Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Echikson
QuizTheFairycat
Kimahri

Post by QuizTheFairycat »

I had a wonderful time scorekeeping and seeing everyone at the event! ^_^

By the way, Alex, my name is Miranda. Like the character in The Tempest, after whom I am named.
Miranda Barrientos
she/her/hers/herself
Hood College '18
Poolesville High School '14
occasional scorekeeper on Silver Screen Test
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Thanks for hosting a superbly-run event, Alex! Everything flowed very smoothly and the tournament ended at just about the right time (~6:20ish). I enjoyed every moment of the tournament and highly encourage every interested team to try out the set.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

Thank you to everyone who came out and played this tournament! There's now a discussion group for the set - you can join by going to user control panel, then usergroups, and joining "2020 Terrapin Open Discussion."
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

QuizTheFairycat wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 am I had a wonderful time scorekeeping and seeing everyone at the event! ^_^

By the way, Alex, my name is Miranda. Like the character in The Tempest, after whom I am named.
Oof. Sorry for that - there's no excuse.

On a slightly happier note, I re-uploaded stats after fixing a whole bunch of minor errors I noticed, so hopefully that should fix any errors people noticed (sorry Juliet for misspelling your last name.)

Thank you to everyone who came out to play ACRONYM 13 on Sunday! Uncut Gecs (Dylan Minarik, Juliet Mayer, Connor Mayers, Kevin Wang) defeated The Vishwa Appreciation Society (Jordan Brownstein, JinAh Kim, Rob Carson, Tejas Raje) in a one-game final to claim 1st place.

Full stats for all teams have been uploaded and are available here. Please let me know at [email protected] if you see any mistakes.

I hope everyone who came out to play one of the events this weekend really enjoyed it! We hope to see you again at UMD soon!
Alex Echikson