NAQT Midwest SCT (2/8/20) at Purdue

Old college threads.
stanjast
Lulu

NAQT Midwest SCT (2/8/20) at Purdue

Post by stanjast »

Purdue University is proud to serve as host for NAQT's Midwest SCT on its West Lafayette, Indiana campus on February 8, 2020.

FEES:
Base fee: $145 for the first team
Fee for second and additional teams: $120 per team

DISCOUNTS:
Working buzzer discount: $10 each (at least 4 working buzzers per side)

Approved moderator discount (please e-mail [email protected] to request this): $40 each

New team discount: $20/team from a school that did not host or compete in SCT in the last two years

Travel discount: $10 (more than 200 miles one way according to Google maps)

Each round will consist of 22 untimed tossups (11 per half), with corresponding bonuses. Teams will play for invitations to NAQT's Intercollegiate Championship Tournament in Chicago on April 3/4, 2020 (as well as some really neat personal and team trophies we've ordered -- not just your normal book prizes for top scorers!). Information on ICT may be found here: https://www.naqt.com/ict/

Teams may to register for either Division I (broadly speaking, any teams with players who've played at an ICT before) or Division II (no previous NAQT nationals experience).

Once teams have registered using the online system, an invoice will be promptly e-mailed. Teams may bring their payment on the day of the tournament or remit it by mail. We'd really appreciate it if teams would register by noon on Sunday, February 2, so we can send out a logistics e-mail that day or the next, letting everyone know where to be and when to be there.

Any questions may be e-mailed to me, Stan Jastrzebski, at [email protected] .
Last edited by stanjast on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stan Jastrzebski
stanjast
Lulu

Re: NAQT Midwest SCT (2/8/20) at Purdue

Post by stanjast »

And here is the link to the NAQT page for the Midwest SCT at Purdue:

https://www.naqt.com/registration/regis ... &type=TEAM

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me and we'll find you an answer!

Happy holidays,
Stan J.
Last edited by stanjast on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Jastrzebski
stanjast
Lulu

Post by stanjast »

Here's our first field update (as of 2:30 p.m. on January 10 -- about a month before tourney day):

Division I:
Illinois A
Illinois B
Lewis

Division II:
Lake Land
Valparaiso
Stan Jastrzebski
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Thanks to Purdue for organizing a well-run and very professional SCT! The folders containing the schedule and list of nearby restaurants was a really nice touch.

I do have one issue with the tournament format, however, which as I understand it was beyond the host’s control. There were ten teams in the D1 field, and according to the Purdue staff, NAQT had instructed them to run a full round robin guaranteeing only nine games to teams not in the final. Combined with the late arrival of one of the teams, this meant that some teams in the field only got to play eight competitive games. This is a poor policy on NAQT’s part, as it’s very simple to rebracket into 4/3/3 to guarantee teams a reasonable number of games for the money they paid to register for the tournament.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Auroni wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:47 pm I do have one issue with the tournament format, however, which as I understand it was beyond the host’s control. There were ten teams in the D1 field, and according to the Purdue staff, NAQT had instructed them to run a full round robin guaranteeing only nine games to teams not in the final. Combined with the late arrival of one of the teams, this meant that some teams in the field only got to play eight competitive games. This is a poor policy on NAQT’s part, as it’s very simple to rebracket into 4/3/3 to guarantee teams a reasonable number of games for the money they paid to register for the tournament.
I see that the late-arriving team's first four opponents seem to have played against empty chairs. Will these games be included in the D-value calculations for those teams?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

t-bar wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:53 pm I see that the late-arriving team's first four opponents seem to have played against empty chairs. Will these games be included in the D-value calculations for those teams?
Stats compiled in forfeit games are not considered for D-value purposes.

We'll consider Auroni's suggestion when we revise and update our approved-formats list for the 2021 SCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
stanjast
Lulu

Post by stanjast »

The winners of Purdue's SCT are as follows:

Division 1 overall: Ohio State (10-0) defeated Chicago B (8-2) in an advantaged final
Division 1 undergrad: Northwestern A edged out Chicago D by one game in the standings
Division 2: Chicago E (14-0) won an advantaged final over Purdue A (12-2, with both losses coming to Chicago E)

Division 1 Stats
Division 2 Stats

Thanks to all who came out, and to those who helped us with staffing - we hope everyone had an enjoyable time!

SPJ
Stan Jastrzebski