2020 Eastern Canada SCT at Toronto (8 February 2020)

Old college threads.
cwasims
Wakka

2020 Eastern Canada SCT at Toronto (8 February 2020)

Post by cwasims »

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the NAQT Eastern Canada Sectional Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 8, 2019. The tournament will take place in Sidney Smith Hall, 100 St. George St., with registration beginning at 9:00am in SS 2127 and the tournament beginning at 9:30am (note the change in time). I (Chris Sims) will be the tournament director. Thanks to Conor Thompson for letting me use his tournament announcement template.

Question Set and Eligibility

This tournament will have two divisions, which will be played on their corresponding SCT sets. These will use rounds of 22 tossups and 22 bonuses, and will be untimed.

Eligibility rules can be found at NAQT's website. In short, players are eligible for Division 2 as long as they have not either played ICT or played on a team that qualified for ICT. All players on a team must be Division 2 eligible in order for the team to play in Division 2.

Format and Rules

The tournament will use NAQT's rules. It will likely be run using one of NAQT's approved SCT formats. More details on the format will be explained once the field is finalized.

Fees and Payment

All fees are in CAD.
+145: the first team (in either division)
+120: each team after the first (in either division)
-10: per buzzer system.
-20: new program discount* per team.
-40: per staffer. If you are planning on bringing staffers, please email me with the staffers' contact information so I can include them on staffing emails.

*A program is considered new if no team from its school competed in an SCT, CC SCT, ICT, or CCCT in either of the two previous full competition years.

Registration

Register at NAQT's website. (This post will be edited with a link to registration once it is open.)

Registration closes 1 week before the tournament.

You can pay by by e-transfer to [email protected] (preferred) or by cash. If you require an invoice in order to pay on the day of the tournament, let us know as soon as possible and we will do our best to facilitate it. We expect payment the day of the tournament; if that is not possible please let us know as soon as possible.

Current Field

Division 1
Toronto A
Toronto B
McGill A
British Columbia

Division 2
Toronto C
Toronto D
Toronto E
Toronto F
McGill B
McGill C
McGill D
McMaster A
McMaster B
McMaster C
Waterloo A
Waterloo B
Queen's A
Queen's B
Western
Ottawa
Last edited by cwasims on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Christopher Sims
University of Toronto 2T0
Northwestern University 2020 - ?
cwasims
Wakka

Re: 2020 Eastern Canada SCT at Toronto (8 February 2020)

Post by cwasims »

There will be a mirror of Ohio Trash on the Sunday after this tournament - the announcement for that tournament can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=19&p=364599#p364599.
Christopher Sims
cwasims
Wakka

Post by cwasims »

Thanks to everyone for coming to this tournament! This was one of the biggest fields we've gotten in Canada ever, which was really great to see.
McGill A cleared the field to win Division 1, and McGill B won a one-game final against Toronto C to win Division 2. Various permutations of the stats can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6146/.
Christopher Sims
WillD
Kimahri

Post by WillD »

Had a fun tournament, even if our ultimate record was obviously not quite ideal. I think we achieved what we came for, more or less, and I think I personally did a pretty good job. Thank you to the organizers!

User was reminded to enable a signature - Mgmt
Will, University of British Columbia
ArnavS
Lulu

Post by ArnavS »

Yeah, thanks to Toronto for being a hospitable and fun site. Was great to finally bring a UBC team here. Even though nobody paid us to come.
Arnav Sood
"We're not going to pay you to come to our tournaments" --- Paul Kasiński
NYU, 2014-2018
University of British Columbia, 2018-2020
Carnegie Mellon, 2021-