Delta Burke 2019 (Mirrors Available!)

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Delta Burke 2019 (Mirrors Available!)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

This year's Delta Burke tournament at Valencia College in The City Beautiful, Orlando, Florida, will be held on Friday, November 8, and Saturday, November 9, for community college teams. My Florida CC colleagues will all hear much more details about that iteration of the tournament directly, but if you're part of a CC team outside my e-mail list that would like to come to Orlando, let me know.

So mainly I'm posting here to let folks know that the set is available for mirrors. If you want to mirror this year's set, we'll ask for a $30/team mirror fee (not including house teams, which are free), and the set will be available for tournaments on or after November 16. This year, after much nagging from co-writers and the peanut gallery, I'm going to power-mark the toss-ups. I've never power marked before, so this will probably be terribly done. Also, there will likely be bonus lead-ins which include anarcho-syndicalist, anti-fascist bias, and there will probably be instances of crude vulgarity and/or insults of dead Republicans like Strom Thurmond. So what I'm saying is that you probably shouldn't mirror this set. But if you want to, let me know. Oh, and I'd like to NOT have any mirrors after mid-spring, so the set can be released, so keep that in mind if you're interested, which you shouldn't be.

MIRRORS:
Boise State January 18 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23562
Virginia Tech February 29: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23536
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: Delta Burke 2019 (Mirrors Available!)

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So this happened and a fine time was had by all. Congrats to Northwest Florida State College A for going 10-0 and clearing the field. (Note: that team comprises dual-enrolled HS players who will, alas, be choosing to play HS nationals rather than CCCT). Chipola Blue was second and Chipola Gold third.
Stats are are at the following link (note that we didn't separate five prelims rounds from five playoff rounds):
https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6 ... urke_2019/

And it has come to my attention that the arch, ironic tone of my post above may have confused some folks. In truth, Delta Burke is a swell tournament with, as the stats indicate, very good power marking for truly novice players (if mirrored at university level, it will probably skew a bit easy for novices with significant HS experience). The young'ns on here probably won't remember past critiques of the set I was referencing above (though, indeed, the set doesn't take itself too seriously, so there could be some nuttiness one wouldn't see in standard sets). And though opening clues are sometimes significantly harder than one might see in a truly novice set, penultimate clues and giveaways are probably easier.

All in all Delta Burke is its own weird thing, but it's specifically written to be an introduction to a lot of the canon for those who haven't experienced it. So it's good, and you should mirror it.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah