Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at Boise State on 10/19/19

Old college threads.
tiwonge
Yuna

Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at Boise State on 10/19/19

Post by tiwonge »

Boise State/Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams will be hosting EFT on October 19. High school teams are eligible to play.

The main announcement for the EFT can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22625. It should be regular minus, I guess?

We have not reserved rooms yet, but it will probably be held in the ILC on the campus of Boise State. If we can get the forms filled out on time, we might be able to offer free parking. (This is also the BSU Family weekend; I don't know if there is free parking because of that.)

We will start at 9:00 AM, and end when we end. (We've run late the last two years, so I expect we'll run a bit late this year, too.) If we finish early enough, we may go to Bar Gernika on the Basque Block to eat, drink (for those of age) and be merry. Join us there after the tournament!

Because almost every team is traveling a long distance to come here, we're keeping the tournament fees low. Registration is $65/team, with a $5 discount for a laptop, and a $5 discount for an experienced staffer, both contingent on approval of the TD (Colin). Please let me know ahead of time if you'll be bringing either of these.

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Field:
BSU (x2)
BYU
Colorado
Idaho
Oregon
UW
TVMSC
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
tiwonge
Yuna

Re: Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at Boise State on 10/19/19

Post by tiwonge »

Stats can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6 ... und_robin/

(Not quite done yet.)
Member, PACE
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Matt (Colorado) and Daniel (Oregon) split their games. Since Daniel had to leave to catch a flight and couldn't play a tie-breaker, they agreed to just call it a draw.

Daniel was top scorer overall.
Member, PACE
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

tiwonge wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:24 am Matt (Colorado) and Daniel (Oregon) split their games. Since Daniel had to leave to catch a flight and couldn't play a tie-breaker, they agreed to just call it a draw.

Daniel was top scorer overall.
Big thanks to BSU for hosting and to Matt for graciously suggesting a draw unprompted.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Is there anything that the rest of quizbowl can do to help ensure that the flagship state universities of three Western states have more than just 1-member quizbowl teams in the future? It's great that there is at least one dedicated player at these schools, but it seems like there's the danger that these teams will disappear once these people move on. It also seems like it may be discouraging to other schools that the top 3 teams in the region at this tournament were solo players (I understand that the clubs they represent may be larger than just one player too, though perhaps not as willing to travel which in itself is then a challenge).

While we can't clone Colin McNamara to help out every school in the region (Colin has done great work in keeping Idaho quizbowl viable at both the HS and Collegiate levels), I hope that the community as a whole would be willing and able to help those on the ground to do more to ensure that the toeholds in these states don't disappear. I would love to hear from folks in these areas and elsewhere if there are ideas/plans to help spread to more colleges (if not high schools) in particular.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

UW and Colorado clubs both have more than one member. They just didn't have more than one person willing to make the trip. Matt and Vikshar (and Daniel) all flew to Boise on their own dime. I don't know to what extent these clubs get support from their university to help fund such trips, but it's not feasible for a Colorado team to drive 12 hours to Boise for a tournament. (Matt comes because he grew up here, and he can see his family and his old school.) In the case of UW, this tournament happened about 3 weeks after the start of the quarter, and they couldn't arrange the trip so soon after the quarter started. (I did consult them before setting the date, and they said it was fine, but sometimes, one's hopes don't match reality.) Last year, they did have a team drive to Boise (borrowing a car from Mike Bentley), but they couldn't get it to happen this year.

It's not really the fault of either of these two clubs that they had one-player teams, but rather due to limitations space and time. I appreciate that they did make the effort to come. (And I know how hard it is to play a tournament solo, so I am even more appreciative of that.)

Boise is one of the more remote cities in the country, in terms of distance from other cities of a similar size, and Boise State is probably one of the more remote universities.
Member, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

In past years I've been a bit more involved in getting new players to come out to a fall tournament in Boise, but it's never especially easy given the distances and the relative paucity of peoe with high school quiz bowl experience. The UW team also didn't retain very many experienced players from last year. If this had been at UW I'm sure there would have been more UW players than just Vikshar.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

tiwonge wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:35 pm I don't know to what extent these clubs get support from their university to help fund such trips, but it's not feasible for a Colorado team to drive 12 hours to Boise for a tournament. (Matt comes because he grew up here, and he can see his family and his old school.)
We get school funding, but the fact that we have to travel overnight to every tournament means that we can't really afford to fly several people to Boise. I played this solo (and paid out of my own pocket) because I was planning on visiting family around this time anyway. The club here is actually pretty healthy, and we usually send 3 teams to Fall and 2 to Regionals.
Matt