Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT, Fall 2020)

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT, Fall 2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'm excited to announce the 2020 iteration of Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT), a medium-difficulty set that was originally written for mirrors beginning in March 2020! This tournament is written by the current members of UT Austin’s Quizbowl team, with some assistance from outside subject editors.

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this set only had its playtesting mirror in Spring 2020 and will be played in a series of online mirrors in Fall of 2020. This set (with minor edits as needed) will be the same as read at that mirror, so any participants in our March 2020 Discord mirror will be ineligible for any Fall mirrors of LIT 2020.

Eligibility:
All players who are eligible under current ACF rules can play at collegiate mirrors of LIT. Closed high school teams are eligible to play collegiate LIT mirrors in their given region. This set will also be available for use in high school-only mirrors, which will not have regional restrictions. Chimera teams will not be allowed, without any exception, for any physical mirrors of LIT, collegiate or high school-only. This tournament will have an open, playtest discord mirror the week before any physical mirrors of the set take place, and LIT will also be available for additional online open mirrors after all physical sites have finished (similar to ILLIAC in spring 2019), if demand exists for them.

Difficulty:
This tournament is intended to be similar in difficulty to Terrapin 2019, which is to say LIT is a medium-difficulty tournament that will be more difficult than EFT but also noticeably below the difficulty of ACF Regionals. As with Terrapin 2019, this tournament is being written with a majority of college teams as the target audience, but we will also strive to create a set that allows even the most experienced teams to meaningfully play and enjoy the tournament. Questions for this set will also be held to a strict limit of no longer than 7 full lines of text in size 10 TNR font.

Editing and Writing Team:
I, Ryan Humphrey, will serving as the head editor for this tournament. Jaskaran Singh will be the primary editor for history and current events/OtherAcademic. William Golden will be editing literature and pop-culture. Brad McLain will be editing religion, mythology, philosophy, and social science. I will be the primary science, painting, and other arts (visual) editor. Bryan Lu from Illinois will be guest-writing classical music. Kai Smith is providing guest editing for Classical Music and Other Academic (auditory). As stated above, the writing team for this set will consist of members of the UT Austin quizbowl club.

Distribution:
4/4 Literature:
-1/1 American
-1/1 British
-1/1 European
-1/1 World/Classical
4/4 History:
-1/1 American
-1/1 Continental European
-1/1 Commonwealth, Classical, Other, Historiography
-1/1 World
4/4 Science:
-1/1 Biology
-1/1 Chemistry
-1/1 Physics
-1/1 Other Science (.5/.5 Math and CS, .5/.5 Earth Sci, Astronomy, History of Science, Other)
3/3 Fine Arts:
-1/1 Painting
-1/1 Classical Music
-1/1 Other Arts
2/2 Thought:
-1/1 Social Science
-1/1 Philosophy
1.5/1.5 Beliefs:
-1/1 Religion
-.5/.5 “Myths and Legends” (with some text-based mythology content covered in literature)
1.5/1.5 Geo/CE/Other Academic/Pop Culture
-.75/.75 Geography and Current Events
-.75/.75 Pop Culture and Other Academic

There will be 15 packets in total for this tournament, 13 main packets with two packets set aside for the two finals rounds. The two finals packets may be marginally more difficult, but will still be noticeably easier than ACF Regionals in difficulty.

Mirror fees: The mirror fee for this set will be 40$ per team (house teams included).

List of Mirrors by region:
Discord (open): Sunday, March 8th.

College Closed mirrors:
Mid-Atlantic (NJ, PA, MD, DE, WV, VA, NC, DC): Hosted by Duke, September 5th.
Southeast (KY, TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, FL): Hosted by Florida, October 3rd.
Upper Midwest (MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH): University of Illinois (November 14th)
West Coast (WA, OR, CA, AZ, NV, ID): Stanford, October 24th.
Lower Midwest, Texas, and Rockies(TX, LA, OK, NM, MO, KS, AR, CO, UT, WY, NE, ND, SD, MT): Hosted by Texas, September 26th.
Northeast (NY, CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT): Hosted by Stony Brook University, September 26th.
Canada (including BC): Alumni hosted, September 19th.
United Kingdom: Looking for Host

Open High School mirrors:
High School (Mirror 1): University of Illinois (October 24th)

All inquiries regarding mirrors should be sent via email to Ryan Humphrey at the following address: [email protected]. This set is already entirely written and is available for mirrors starting in August 2020 and will be provided throughout the fall semester.
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:55 am, edited 45 times in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT, Spring 2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

A brief update on this set's progress, which is coming along nicely. LIT is just under half completion at this point, and I have no doubts that the set will be ready by the originally announced date.

I'd like to emphasize a few key points that we're trying to accomplish with this set. First, every tossup in this set will be no longer than 7 lines, with powermarking but before pronunciation guides are added. Particular attention is also being paid to keeping bonus lengths manageable. Lastly, as I stated in the first post, the intended difficulty of this set will be between that of EFT and a regular difficulty set.

We would like this tournament to be mirrored as widely as possible, so teams interested in mirroring LIT in the spring are encouraged to reach out to me with date requests.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

A few updates on this set's progress, LIT is now over 70% completion and is quickly approaching 80%. We've also added Jack Mehr onto the editing team as a guest editor for literature. The main post has been updated with our first mirror requests. Teams interested in mirroring LIT from regions without mirrors listed are encouraged to reach out to me ([email protected]) to do so.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Another brief update on LIT's progress, the set is just under 90% completed at this point and will definitely be ready by the first mirror dates. We've currently confirmed mirror locations in most of the major US regions, though some of the exact dates are still waiting on room reservations to be confirmed. We are still in the process of trying to add sites in as many other regions as possible from those listed in the main post to keep teams from travelling prohibitively far to play our set.

The only regions we haven't heard from yet or have been able to get into contact with are Canada and the Pacific Northwest. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you're interested in mirroring LIT in one of those regions! As for all other regions listed, which are currently without announced sites, we are currently working with teams to set up sites in them as soon as possible.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

In light of the recent covid-19 developments, a few of our initial mirrors have had to be either postponed (Florida) or cancelled (Harvard). We are currently waiting to see how this situation develops further before making any broad statements about LIT, which will largely depend on additional college closures and our later mirrors. However, we are currently open to extending the timespan for mirrors of LIT (through the summer), and are willing to offer an additional closed online mirror(s).

More drastically, we are also open to the possibility of re-branding this set to be played in the EFT slot in Fall 2020 if necessary (not entirely difficult considering the set's already written and has only had one open mirror). We are currently reaching out to our hosts to ask their opinions on this, and if we did move to the fall, our the definition of a closed team would be the same as if it were played in spring 2020. Please stay tuned.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

As an update on this based on the numerous cancellations (Harvard, Duke, JHU, and likely others) due to campus closures related to covid-19, we are now re-branding LIT as a set to be played at mirrors in the EFT slot next fall (late August or September). Given the unusual nature of this situation, we will still honor our existing mirrors this spring if hosts prefer to run them as planned (particularly high school mirrors).

We are now recommending college hosts move their sites until the fall if possible, and teams that are currently scheduled to host will have priority in moving their bid to the fall. Eligibility to play LIT under this revised plan will be the same as this spring (if you could play on a closed team in March, you're still allowed to play next fall; this is an editors decision).
Ryan Humphrey
Here Comes Rusev Day
Lulu

Re: Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT, through Fall 2020)

Post by Here Comes Rusev Day »

Question regarding the set. Since it is moving to the Fall, would then graduating students this spring still be able to retain their eligibility for this tournament and be able to play it?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School '09
George Mason University '13
University of Central Florida '15
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT, through Fall 2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Here Comes Rusev Day wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:09 pm Question regarding the set. Since it is moving to the Fall, would then graduating students this spring still be able to retain their eligibility for this tournament and be able to play it?
Yes. To quote my announcement above "eligibility to play LIT under this revised plan will be the same as this spring (ie. if you could play LIT in March, you're still allowed to play it in the fall; this is an editors decision). This isn't a national tournament, so we want to be lenient on this and allow everyone who could've played LIT as originally announced to play it in the fall as well. And to clarify this a bit more, they would only be able to play LIT as the same school they could have played with this spring, we're not allowing true open teams.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT, Fall 2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I've updated the main post for this set to better reflect the fact that LIT is now a set being played this fall, and is actively soliciting hosts, as outlined below. Additionally, like the recent announcement about IKEA, LIT 2020 will be run this fall as a series of online, closed regional mirrors from mid-late August throughout September, with flexibility for later mirrors as needed.

Of note, considering LIT has already had its playtesting Discord mirror, this set should be considered an edited product by the time of its first regional mirrors.

We will be reaching out to our original spring hosts in the next few days to provide them with the first opportunity to host online mirrors LIT this fall. After that, any interested hosts should contact me about doing so (contact at the end of this post).

For more details on hosting, after consulting with the IKEA editing team, we will be using a similar hosting/fee structure for online mirrors of LIT. The price of all online mirrors of LIT 2020 will be $80 per team, with discounts of $20 available for new teams, with the latter defined using the ACF criteria. We will plan to pay regional tournament coordinators $10 per team at their regional tournament and moderators $40 for the day for their services.

Your responsibilities (as a tournament director) will be as follows:
- Reaching out to teams in your region, including new teams (we will also be conducting efforts along this line)
- Recruiting moderators (these can be from any source)
- Collecting payment information from each team in a spreadsheet
- Determining the best date and time for a regional mirror
- Working with the other regional coordinators
- Managing the tournament Discord server (we will provide you with a template server, equipped with bots to assign roles)
- Ensuring timely posting of stats (we will provide you with a scorekeeping system)
- Serving as TD on the day of the tournament
- All moderators and regional coordinators MUST be able to accept online payments, with no exceptions
- Hosts will be required to agree to, and send out in advance of the tournament, the code of conduct written for LIT 2020 (seen at the bottom of this thread, and will sent out in advance)

With all of that said, any team/coordinator interested in potentially hosting a regional mirror of LIT this Fall should reach out to me, Ryan Humphrey, at my email ([email protected]) to do so.

We know and understand how challenging the Covid-19 pandemic has been for everything, quizbowl included, and hope that this structure will allow LIT to played/enjoyed this Fall by the wide college and high school audiences that we had originally intended it to heard by this past spring!
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Humphrey
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

To clarify something from your previous post from March, will people who graduated from one school in the Spring but who are now enrolled somewhere else for the fall be required to play for their old school rather than their new one?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

Can the implementation and enforcement of a code of conduct that establishes behavior standards and outlines punishments for violations of those standards, such as that posted by Marianna Zhang/PACE, be included in the requirements for tournament directors as well? I am looking forward to hopefully playing this tournament in the fall but would very much like to see these policies included before I or my team make any commitments. Thanks!
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

a named reaction wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:23 pm To clarify something from your previous post from March, will people who graduated from one school in the Spring but who are now enrolled somewhere else for the fall be required to play for their old school rather than their new one?
Hi Eric, thanks for pointing this out! To clarify the editors' stance on this, anyone who graduated from a college this past spring, will have the option to play closed mirrors of LIT with their former team affiliation as of March 1st, 2020 (be it with the current team, last year's roster, solo, etc). If they've re-enrolled somewhere else, then they may choose to play with their new team or their previous one, but obviously with not both. Chimera teams will still not be allowed unless the editors opt to do a second open mirror after all closed mirrors. This exemption for recent graduates also only applies to college players, so incoming freshmen will need to play LIT with their current college. Hopefully this makes our stance on eligibility clear!
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:47 pm Can the implementation and enforcement of a code of conduct that establishes behavior standards and outlines punishments for violations of those standards, such as that posted by Marianna Zhang/PACE, be included in the requirements for tournament directors as well? I am looking forward to hopefully playing this tournament in the fall but would very much like to see these policies included before I or my team make any commitments. Thanks!
Hi Ryan, I think this is an excellent suggestion! I will update the main post for LIT shortly to include a code of conduct and actionable guidelines for violations in our host requirements, along the lines of the thoughtful posts you referenced (Added; see post below for the full code of conduct).

Glad to hear you and others are looking forward to playing LIT, we are incredibly excited to see our set be played this fall.
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

With guidance from Marianna's post (thanks!), I've added a requirement that hosts agree to and send out in advance the following code of conduct. This code of conduct was modified specifically for online mirrors of LIT, and I'm including it in full below. Feedback is welcome, and like with Marianna's example others are welcome to use this as a template to further efforts at establishing a general code of conduct for tournament behavior, which is a goal that I and other LIT editors support.
Longhorn Invitational Tournament 2020 (LIT 2020): Code of Conduct
The editors of the 2020 edition of Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT 2020) believe in supporting an inclusive and welcoming college quizbowl environment. To achieve this goal, we will be requiring all online hosts to agree to and enforce the following code of conduct, which will apply to all tournament participants, including organizers, staff, players, coaches, parents, and spectators. We expect participants to follow these guidelines for the duration of the tournament, both during games and during all other tournament-related events. For online mirrors of LIT, this code of conduct will apply to, but is not strictly limited to, the official Discord/Zoom server/call within which a particular closed regional mirror takes place.

Expected behavior:
We expect all participants to treat other participants with respect and courtesy. Participants should be considerate of fellow participants’ diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Participants should be mindful of fellow participants and be proactive about reporting any potentially prohibited behavior or dangerous situations.
There will be absolutely zero tolerance for discriminatory comments or behavior on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, citizenship, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.

Prohibited behavior:
Harassment of tournament participants (players, staffers, organizers, spectators, etc.) will not be tolerated in any form.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
• Offensive verbal, printed, written, or electronic comments related to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, physical appearance, body size, or religion.
• Deliberate intimidation
• Stalking/excessive following (in-person or online)
• unwanted photography or recording
• sustained disruption of games or other tournament events
• inappropriate physical contact
• unwelcome sexual attention
• sexual imagery and language in public spaces

Consequences for prohibited behavior:
If a participant engages in prohibited behavior, the tournament director may take any action they deem appropriate at their discretion, including a warning or ejection from the tournament without refund. Consequences will be proportionate to the severity and frequency of the violation. Tournament participants who are asked to stop any prohibited behavior are expected to comply immediately.

Reporting prohibited behavior:
During the Tournament: Staffers will be required to promptly present anonymized evidence of misconduct to the tournament organizers, who will determine what consequences, if any, are appropriate, or if more information is required to make a decision. Tournament organizers may consult with the set editors if they feel necessary/appropriate for additional feedback.
Online: PACE provides an online form, which can also be used to report cases of misconduct. Representatives from four major quizbowl organizations (PACE, NAQT, ACF, and IAC) examine misconduct reports and provide an anonymized statement to the four organizations.

Host Responsibility and Accountability:
Enforcement of a welcoming and inclusive environment is as much of a responsibility of the host as it is the players. As such, hosts should make sure this code of conduct is sent out to players as part of their logistics email for the tournament, so that behavioral expectations and potential repercussions are clearly understood before the event.
After the tournament: If it is discovered that violations of this code of conduct were deliberately ignored or in any way contributed to or exacerbated by the host, then the editors reserve the right to revoke all mirror fees from the host for this event.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

All of our previous hosts have now been contacted via email about mirroring LIT this fall. All of these hosts have one week to express interest in hosting for their given regions before all regions without hosts will be openly advertised. With one exception, since we didn't previously have a previous Canadian site, any interested individuals/clubs are welcomed to go ahead and contact me. As a note, we will be using similar regional boundaries to IKEA, but may have slight modifications to potentially accommodate our original hosts (based on interest), so our finalized regions will be posted next week as well.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

The main post for LIT has been now been updated to include our confirmed hosts and the rough regional guidelines we will be using for our closed online mirrors. Please note that these are based on, but are slightly different than, those used by IKEA so that we could accommodate our previous hosts from the spring. We are also currently missing hosts in some major regions which we would like to have secured as soon as possible. So, any club/TC interested in hosting mirrors of LIT for these regions is now encouraged to please reach out as soon as possible at my email address included in the main forum post!
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

As has been discussed in our mid-atlantic mirror thread (and frankly I'd assumed I'd already mentioned somewhere in the main post), teams are free to apply for reasonable exceptions to the regional boundaries, which will be discussed by the editors for approval. For the sake of transparency I will also keep a running, public list of such exceptions in this post.

List of exceptions granted:
-Columbia (permission to play mid-atlantic mirror)
Ryan Humphrey
JA01
Wakka

Post by JA01 »

Has my email been received about hosting a northeast mirror? My email is [email protected]

Edit: spelling
Jade Anderson
Smithtown High School West President Class of ‘19
Stony Brook University President Class of ‘23
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

The forum post and signups for the Texas/Rockies/Lower Midwest site has now been added.
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

We have added a northeast site hosted by Stony Brook University on September 26th to our main post.
Ryan Humphrey
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Sorry if this is said somewhere that I am once again not seeing, but do the editors of this set intend to make online mirrors play using video for players (eg via Zoom or Discord video) to discourage cheating?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

a named reaction wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:49 pm Sorry if this is said somewhere that I am once again not seeing, but do the editors of this set intend to make online mirrors play using video for players (eg via Zoom or Discord video) to discourage cheating?
This is something I should have clarified on our main post. Given that our first mirrors are quickly approaching though, we will not make it mandatory that all hosts require video for all players at this point, but we will allow hosts to require it if they feel equipped to do so (and obviously would prefer they do so for integrity issues if possible)

Also, a reminder that we are still looking for hosts for our upper midwest, west coast (Edit: this will be Stanford-run, date tbd), Canada (Edit: sept 19th), and UK college mirrors. Teams interested in hosting LIT in September or October for these regions should reach out as soon as possible. Thank you!
Ryan Humphrey
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This is a good tournament and an excellent fit for the "regular minus" slot for this fall - a little bit above the EFT notch, but still an on-target set that serves the role of a good introduction to the rigors of college quizbowl for experienced high school players and provides a reasonable challenge to seasoned college veterans. I am very glad this tournament is available during these times and strongly recommend playing it.

EDIT: regular minus not plus
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'll quickly add that a private discussion forum for this tournament now exists, and people who have already played the set are welcomed to join and give feedback.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Our high school mirror of LIT and our upper midwest collegiate mirror of LIT have now both been added to the main post, both to be hosted by the University of Illinois. Apologies for the delay clarifying these hosts/dates.
Ryan Humphrey
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

plunge this wretched comment to the depths of the forbidden zone
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.