PARFAIT 2005 Results

Old college threads.
DanTheClam
Lulu

PARFAIT 2005 Results

Post by DanTheClam »

The first Princeton Annual Regional Fall Academic Invitational Tournament was played today in the cozy basement of Fisher Hall. 9 teams competed, and the day ended with two teams, Jason Keller-led Rutgers New Brunswick and solo Seth Kendall from Kentucky duking it out in a finals round, after they completed the round robin playoffs and remained tied in record.

Rutgers New Brunswick triumphed in the final, with a score of 235-175.

Full results will be posted some time tomorrow (or I guess today, technically).

In the meantime, feel free to start a discussion thread for comments on the tournament and/or the packets.

I'd like to thank all the members of the Princeton team who came out and helped today, and I'd really like to thank all the writers who helped make this happen, both those at Princeton and the freelancers (who will be receiving their packet sets tomorrow, don't worry). And lastly but most importantly, a huge thank you goes out to Jordan Boyd-Graber, who took the brunt of the editing job, and without whom this tournament certainly would not have gotten off the ground. I hope all the teams enjoyed the tournament.

Dan Benediktson
Princeton College Bowl
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

Statistics have been posted at: http://www.princeton.edu/~cbowl/parfait ... dings.html

A few apparent anomalies to note: the top two teams played an extra game, namely the Finals. Individual stats were only kept for the preliminary games, not for the playoff games, and prizes were given accordingly; note, however, that this means the individual stats on the webpage are not correct (multiply the per-game statistics by 4/3 to get the correct numbers, in almost all cases). Also, as had been agreed on previously, Penn B did not participate in the playoffs.

Also, I forgot to announce this in the earlier post, but prizes were given to the top four individual players, who were:

1) Seth Kendall, Kentucky, 110.1 PPG
2) Jason Keller, Rutgers (New Brunswick), 81.8 PPG
3) Shah Ali, Rutgers (Newark), 52.7 PPG
4) Brad Houston, Maryland B, 52.3 PPG

Congratulations to all the players, and especially to the high-scoring ones.

Dan Benediktson
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Are the PARFAIT questions available for sale/trade? If so, please post the pertinent details. Thanks.
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

Dan is in charge of the logistical stuff, so he'll have to answer any questions about trades, but I thought I'd take this chance to offer thanks to everybody.

First, thanks to Dan for handing all of the registration issues (which became rather involved as time wore on) and for running a tournament that finished at a very reasonable hour.

Most importantly, thanks to our kind freelancers: Seth and Selene from Chicago, Ray from UCLA, Irene from Caltech, Chris, and the horde that Penn somehow managed to convince to put together a freelance half-packet in about four hours.

Thanks to the Princeton folks who helped write questions, in particular Lenny and Clay, and to those who stuck it out and read all day: Lenny, Phil, Mason, Dan, and Clay.

Finally, I want to thank the teams that came out. It would have been nice to have more teams, but we did pick a date somewhat close to some schools' finals ... our fault. Nevertheless, we had a decent turnout, and some exciting games. We are thinking about trying something again in the spring; if people would like to see this happen, let us know.
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

The PARFAIT 2005 question set is certainly available for trade (and I guess purchase, although we would much prefer to trade). E-mail me at dbenedik (at) princeton [dot] edu with an offer and I'm certain we can come to some arrangement.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I apologize for using the forum for this, but Dan, I've sent a couple e-mails to the above address and think they might not have gotten through. I'm interested in swapping (or paying) for the PARFAIT set. Please drop me a line at cborglum at valenciacc dot edu. Thanks.

PS--since I'm here, let it be known that I'm generally interested in swapping for or buying every set from every tournament ever held from this moment forward. Thanks.
DanTheClam
Lulu

Post by DanTheClam »

Chris, I've gotten your e-mails and responded to both of them. I just sent you a third e-mail which has the packets attached, since I thought your trade offer sounded fine... I think there might be some problem at your end, since I haven't had trouble sending other people the questions in similar circumstances.