Tariq

Old college threads.
Eddie
Rikku

Tariq

Post by Eddie »

I am pleased to announce Tariq, an open doubles side event on the auditory arts, to be played at Chicago Open 2018. I am the sole editor and writer.

Difficulty: The difficulty of this set is somewhere between nationals-minus and nationals-plus. At least 90% of the answer lines in Tariq will be appropriate answer lines at ACF Regionals.

Specifications: Tariq will have six (6) packets. Each packet will have seventeen (17) tossups and three (3) ten-part lightning rounds. Each tossup will be six (6) lines in 10pt Times New Roman font. Each lightning round part will be one (1) line in 10pt Times New Roman font.

There will be 15-point powers, 10-point gets, and 5-point negs. Each lightning round part will be worth 10 points, for a maximum of 100 points.

Distribution:

8 Classical
3 Jazz
3 Performance (e.g. opera, dance)
1 Musical Theatre
1 Film
1 Miscellaneous (e.g. common links, world music, popular music, more of the above)

Lightning rounds do not have a fixed distribution, but will draw predominantly from classical music.

I reserve the right to make slight modifications to this distribution over the coming months, but the distribution will be finalised by the end of 2017.

Format: I intend Tariq to be played in doubles. Halftime will be after Tossup 9. At this point, the losing team will select and play one of the three (3) lightning rounds. Next, the opposing team will select and play one of the remaining lightning rounds. Afterwards, the game will continue onto Tossup 10.

Each team will receive sixty (60) seconds on a lightning round, which they may use as they see fit. Teams may pass on a lightning round part. There are no bouncebacks. There will be a single unused lightning round each packet.

Hosts are free to make modifications to this format with my permission.

Cost: The set will be a flat $10 per person.

Mirrors: The main Tariq site will be at Chicago Open 2018. There will be an online Skype mirror in May or June.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Eddie
Rikku

Re: Tariq

Post by Eddie »

After some discussion about the likely scheduling conflict between Tariq and Chicago Open Trash, I am considering moving Tariq to a "summer side event" slot instead. Do people have any thoughts on this?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Last CO, we ran Will's film tournament after CO Trash, but that was shootout and shorter and we still got out pretty late. I would say schedules probably can't support a side event on the heels of a full tournament.

On the other hand, take my opinion lightly since the only way I'll score points on this is if the film distro is cobbled from my Facebook posts.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

As you might imagine, I'm extraordinarily excited to play this. And I'll travel pretty much wherever is necessary.

I'm up to bat to edit the next Imaginary Landscape, and those have traditionally happened every even-numbered year. So, I was planning on producing that for spring/summer 2018. If people still would like that, I will plan to produce it for then. But if people think that this would be auditory art overload, I can defer to Tariq (since Eddie announced it first), and produce it for 2019 instead.

If people would still like Imaginary Landscape to be in 2018, as is traditional, I'm happy to schedule around Tariq, to accommodate it.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:As you might imagine, I'm extraordinarily excited to play this. And I'll travel pretty much wherever is necessary.

I'm up to bat to edit the next Imaginary Landscape, and those have traditionally happened every even-numbered year. So, I was planning on producing that for spring/summer 2018. If people still would like that, I will plan to produce it for then. But if people think that this would be auditory art overload, I can defer to Tariq (since Eddie announced it first), and produce it for 2019 instead.

If people would still like Imaginary Landscape to be in 2018, as is traditional, I'm happy to schedule around Tariq, to accommodate it.
I personally have no preference on which year Imaginary Landscape is. Obviously I'm not the most impartial voice here, but I would be fine with both events being in 2018, especially if they're spaced a couple of months apart. I'd also be open to rescheduling Tariq to 2019 if people are more excited for Imaginary Landscape.

I think Joe Su was also interested in collaborating on the next Imaginary Landscape set; I would contact him to see if he's still interested.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I don't remember expressing interest to help out on the next landscapes but I'd be down especially since I should be done the IHO audio arts by 2018.

I prefer Tariq to be on a different year than the next landscapes as to not have both 1 year and no music event the following year. I have no preference as to which one falls on which year, but would like to see one or both as a CO side event, again, no preference as to which.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

Aakash Patel and I have just announced SOUNDTRACK (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 19&t=20359), an auditory tournament in the style of Imaginary Landscape, but just for soundtracks. We had been planning to run it at HSNCT and NSC this spring. I think the player pools are distinct enough that it can coexist with at least one of Tariq and the next Imaginary Landscape, but we're open to discussing how best to coordinate things.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17
kwang
Lulu

Post by kwang »

Benjamin Xu (also of TJ) and I had planned to run a Landscape-style audio event this spring at HSNCT and NSC. After reading this thread and having other conversations, we have decided to reschedule to 2019.

Given the concerns expressed here, I wanted to make it known that another audio tournament is in the works, as well as to solicit opinions for how to best coordinate events going into the near-ish future.
Kevin Wang
TJHSST 2019
Harvard 2023
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Given that I have reason to believe that the market can sustain two auditory arts tournaments in the coming season (and, after all, they are in different formats: one audio and one traditional) and there are now plans to have yet another auditory tournament in 2019, I will plan for Imaginary Landscape No. 4 to take place in 2018, and I will post an official announcement sometime in the next couple of days.

Since Eddie announced Tariq first, he should have first choice as to whether to schedule his tournament during the HSNCT/NSC slot or the "second summer open" slot. I will then take the other one.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:Given that I have reason to believe that the market can sustain two auditory arts tournaments in the coming season (and, after all, they are in different formats: one audio and one traditional) and there are now plans to have yet another auditory tournament in 2019, I will plan for Imaginary Landscape No. 4 to take place in 2018, and I will post an official announcement sometime in the next couple of days.

Since Eddie announced Tariq first, he should have first choice as to whether to schedule his tournament during the HSNCT/NSC slot or the "second summer open" slot. I will then take the other one.
Seeing as Imaginary Landscape has, notwithstanding Imaginary Landscape No. 2, traditionally held the HSNCT / NSC slot, that Tariq is better-suited for the type of audience that attends open tournaments, and that I'm burned out with regards to hosting side events, I'm more than happy to take the "second summer open" slot.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Hello friends,

Unfortunately, due to some circumstances in my personal life, I'm displeased to announce that I am placing Tariq on indefinite hold for the time being. I apologise for the inconvenience, but it does not look as though I will be able to complete Tariq earlier than the summer of 2019. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA