Michigan Side Event Weekend (August 19th-20th)

Old college threads.
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Michigan Side Event Weekend (August 19th-20th)

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Hey everyone!

On August 19th through the 20th, The University of Michigan will be hosting our second annual "side event open." The event is exactly as it sounds, where instead of one long tournament, we will be hosting a number of side events.

We currently have no confirmed events, so if you have anything you'd like to see played/you have a set you made you want played, please get in contact with me at [email protected]. The choice of said events can also be discussed on this thread.

We will need staff, so if you would like to play some events but not others, it'd be appreciated if you'd staff the events you don't want to play.

Also, there will be a party on that Friday night (18th) which all attendees are welcome to come to!

TO REGISTER FOR AN EVENT: Making a team on a spreadsheet is not registering. Once you've formed a teem for an event, e-mail me at the e-mail listed above to actually register!

CONFIRMED EVENTS

SATURDAY:

SUNDAY:

I'll make a timetable of events once the options of events are clearer.

Hope to see you all there!
Last edited by Kilroy Was Here on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Re: Michigan Side Event Weekend (August 19th-20th)

Last edited by Kilroy Was Here on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collin Parks

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'll be there. My top 5 events I'd like to play (in order):

1. The Modern Age
2. Thought Monstrosity (although I do suck at thought)
3. GEODUCK (although I do suck at geography)
4. FLOREAT
5. There Will Be Stock Clues (although I do suck at food)

I would also enjoy playing The Celebs Are It Again and Let's Remember Some Guys. If not a lot of folks have heard MASSOLIT, I also would approve of that. I'm okay staffing events if needed as well. I actually don't mind classics tournaments as long as they have a lot of Roman questions (the only true classical history).

I also do know if Super ACRONYM is on the table or not; I would approve of that on Sunday, although only if my buffoonish partner, Carsten Gehring, is there.

I wouldn't mind Cambridge Open but I'd prefer having more time for side events.

That Sunday is also SummerSlam for the trivia minded.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Very interested.

My top 5 (all of which I'm excited to play):
1. There Will Be Stock Clues
2. Super ACRONYM
3. Let's Remember Some Guys
4. GEODUCK
5. The Modern Age

I would play Thought Monstrosity and Cambridge Open, and staff other things.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

The only strong opinions I have are that I'd like to play The Modern Age and There Will Be Stock Clues, and that I'd like Thought Monstrosity to be run (which I'd staff). But I'll play most anything that gets run, though I can staff trash things if there's need.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

But how will you defend your trash championship from last year?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I'd like there to be some core academic tournament like an OAT or Cambridge Open. I'd also like "Let's Remember Some Guys" to be read because sports is the best. I would like FTP 2 (announcement coming soon) to be read if possible given that it will only be like 5 packets. Aside from that, all the rest of the events seem fine to be but I think the second day should have a long event instead of just of side events.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

All side events please, other than that I'd very much like to play Super ACRONYM (especially provided the bus can be fully assembled). Otherwise: Modern Age, MASSOLIT, Stock Clues, Celebs, and Thought are probably my hastily-assembled top 5, though I can and will play pretty much anything (including Tricon!)
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

women, fire and dangerous things wrote: though I can staff trash things if there's need.
Not if the Dream Team re-forms as I plan!

I'll play anything (almost). Top of my wishlist is Super ACRONYM, Thought Monstrosity, Tricon, Modern Age, and There Will Be Stock Clues in some ordering.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
The Unbearable Lightness of Negging
Lulu

Post by The Unbearable Lightness of Negging »

I'd love to play the Chuck Berry Memorial rock tournament
Ali
Stevenson '17
Stanford '21
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

I plan to attend this and can run a Super ACRONYM tournament. I'd love to play the rock music tournament or other trash, and would happily staff other things.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can we get some more action on the plans for this?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote:Can we get some more action on the plans for this?
Based on the posts in this thread, the schedule I proposed to Collin (who hasn't gotten back to me) is this:

Saturday (the academic day):

-The Modern Age
-Thought Monstrosity
-GEODUCK

Sunday (the trash day):

-Super ACRONYM
-There Will Be Stock Clues
-a third trash event (maybe running Let's Remember Some Guys and Chuck Berry Memorial Tournament concurrently to give people a choice)

I'd staff any of these, though I'd like to play Super ACRONYM and would play GEODUCK if we have enough staff. If we have time one or both of those days, I'd really like to play The Celebs Are At It Again, and would read for Tricon or something else. Another possibility I'll float is that we read Celebs at the Friday night party, if Eliza et al. are okay with it being used that way. (We'd still collect mirror fees for it, of course.)

I've left out MASSOLIT and FLOREAT because my sense is that a good number of people will have heard those already, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also not wedded to the academic/trash division of the weekend, and have no opinions on the order of each day's events.

Thoughts? If no one strongly objects to this proposal, I'll prod Collin to get that team formation spreadsheet up.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Schedule seems fine. Last year, we ran a few niche events in an informal manner prior to the party on Friday, so that's an option as well.

(If the NASAT mirror I've heard kicked around happens, some of those events could happen there as well too--I'd love to play FLOREAT for example)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'd prefer not to run Let's Remember Some Guys and the rock tournament at the same time so I could play both.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Granny Soberer wrote:I'd prefer not to run Let's Remember Some Guys and the rock tournament at the same time so I could play both.
This. These events both sound super fun. Can we have a poll or something for what events people want to run?
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
saintanthony
Lulu

Post by saintanthony »

I'm definitely in for Sunday trash and quite possibly the other days as well. I'll probably drag along a group of Ohio trash all-stars for Super Acronym.

That being said, I'm going free agent for Stock Clues and am planning to take home the Bocuse d'Or. If you're an Iron Chef-level food player looking for a teammate who reads Larousse and Modernist Cuisine, for fun, please hit me up.
Drew Scheeler
President Emeritus, Case Quizbowl
Case Western Reserve University '13
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

Celebs will be done in time for this and I can run it, assuming there is interest to play it.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Sorry for the silence everyone, I've been in an 8 week intensive Greek course that's taken up most of my time, but I'm free of that now so all should be well.

For the next week, I will have the survey below open. If you are planning on coming or interested in coming if a certain event is played, please respond to it! I think a good goal to shoot for is three tournaments played per day, so please select the three tournaments you want to be played on each day. Please do not vote twice for one set on each day. When the poll ends in a week, I will use this data to build a schedule based on what tournaments people want to play along with what people want most on either day.

I BELIEVE I have on here everything I've seen suggested. If I don't, please e-mail me and I'l add it.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Thank you for your patience everyone.
Last edited by Kilroy Was Here on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collin Parks

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

What about XENOPHON?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Seems like a better way to go here would be allowing people to just rank their top 7-8 events in order, then working out the actual schedule as a second step.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, one of the problems is that you've allotted three events for each day, but the events aren't the same length.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Seems like a better way to go here would be allowing people to just rank their top 7-8 events in order, then working out the actual schedule as a second step.
Agreed.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

I have posted a new poll here, please use this. I will update the main post
Collin Parks

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Kilroy Was Here wrote:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Maybe I'm not very bright, but how are we supposed to rank the options 1-8 when there are more than 8?
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Progcon wrote:
Kilroy Was Here wrote:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Maybe I'm not very bright, but how are we supposed to rank the options 1-8 when there are more than 8?
Because I only care about eight tournaments you want to play, as that's the most we could conceivably play.
Collin Parks

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Just a note (and this would help the schedule out, I think):

Michigan State is tentatively going to host a NASAT/Cambridge Open mirror in July. Some of the already extant side events, such as MASSOLIT and FLOREAT, were tentatively going to be run there. I realize that doesn't help the folks who won't be at that mirror, but I also think those tournaments have been played elsewhere and online already too. (Note, this isn't me trying to tell you can't vote for those events, those are on topics I like--I just think that more weight should be given to events that haven't been run before)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Cheynem wrote:Just a note (and this would help the schedule out, I think):

Michigan State is tentatively going to host a NASAT/Cambridge Open mirror in July. Some of the already extant side events, such as MASSOLIT and FLOREAT, were tentatively going to be run there. I realize that doesn't help the folks who won't be at that mirror, but I also think those tournaments have been played elsewhere and online already too. (Note, this isn't me trying to tell you can't vote for those events, those are on topics I like--I just think that more weight should be given to events that haven't been run before)
Thanks for letting me know, I'll keep that in mind when I make the schedule.
Collin Parks

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

After consulting with Mike Cheyne and Saul Hankin, the schedule is now made! Events are listed in the order of which they will be played

Friday Night:
-There Will Be Stock Clues--probably played as a shootout of sorts
-possibly at the party or if there's time, some packets of The Celebs Are At It Again will be played

Saturday
-GEODUCK--starts first because it's tossup only (and if you don't want to play, then sleep in!)
-Modern Age
-Thought Monstrosity
Both of the last two sets I reserve the right to not do bonuses if we're running late.
-Tricon--played entirely shootout with no logistics, may start very late, goes until out of packets or people get sick of it

Sunday
-Super ACRONYM
-Chuck Berry Memorial. We are going to play this for now as doubles, but if time requires, we will compress doubles into quads.
-The evening will close with however some reading of Celebs Are At It Again in some form or another.

If something was left off, it was because of lack of interest or because it's being supposedly played at MSU.
Collin Parks

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Everything aside from the shootouts will be full teams except Chuck Berry, which probably be doubles. Saul should have a spreadsheet link up soon for team formation.

I'm interested in teams for everything, although I suck at all the topics offered on Saturday.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Cheynem wrote:Everything aside from the shootouts will be full teams except Chuck Berry, which probably be doubles. Saul should have a spreadsheet link up soon for team formation.

I'm interested in teams for everything, although I suck at all the topics offered on Saturday.
I should add that the team spredsheet is edited into the above post!
Collin Parks

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Kilroy Was Here wrote:Friday Night:
Playing an in-depth eight-packet set as a shootout seems pretty non-ideal. Could this be doubles instead?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think we wanted to do shootout at first because we were unsure about rooms, staff, and time--I'll let our hosts weigh in more on this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Seconding Ryan - if Stock Clues is done as a shootout I won't be playing or staffing it to keep the packets fresh.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Seeking teammates for thought monstrosity, ideally ones who want a sniper/third scorer or, alternately, who don't mind losing too much. Also, up to one collaborator on a tricon packet!

EDIT: Bernadette and I are now looking for thought teammates and Auroni and I are writing a tricon packet.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Granny Soberer wrote:
Kilroy Was Here wrote:Friday Night:
Playing an in-depth eight-packet set as a shootout seems pretty non-ideal. Could this be doubles instead?
Cheynem wrote:I think we wanted to do shootout at first because we were unsure about rooms, staff, and time--I'll let our hosts weigh in more on this.
Yeah, our thinking was that we weren't sure what time people interested in Stock Clues would get in on Friday night, and that on Sunday after Super ACRONYM and Chuck Berry some people might want to hit the road. But if interested players are sufficiently present and willing on Friday night or Sunday afternoon for a round-robin of doubles to run, I'm all for it. For now, I've created a tab on the team formation spreadsheet for Stock Clues doubles on the assumption that it'll run as a proper tournament, and we can continue hashing out what day/time that would run. (My personal preference would be for Stock Clues to be the last thing on Sunday, and for Friday night to be all Celebs all the time.)
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Beast Mode wrote:(My personal preference would be for Stock Clues to be the last thing on Sunday, and for Friday night to be all Celebs all the time.)
This is a very good idea, unless my Stock Clues teammate won't be there Sunday night, in which case I hate it.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Young, eligible bachelor seeking teammates for Thought Monstrosity and Modern Age. Can provide non-negligible points and buffoonery.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Seeking teammates for Modern Age, Thought Monstrosity, and Super Acronym.

I'll staff Chuck Berry and There Will Be Stock Clues (assuming that the latter ends up at a time when I have already arrived in or not yet departed from Ann Arbor).
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

I'm looking for teammates for GEODUCK and Stock Clues. I'm not particularly good at either category, but I have been to some places and eaten some food, and sometimes I can linguistically fraud things.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'm looking for teammates for Modern Age, Super ACRONYM, and Chuck Berry. I know small pockets of lit and art, lots of sports, and a decent amount of rock music (holes in hard rock/metal, prog rock, and arena rock).
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Looking for teammates for Modern Age, Thought Monstrosity, SACRONYM, and Chuck Berry. I've read some 20th century stuff and need someone who knows like, the other parts of the Modern Age distro. I'm uneven on TM but will probably be a good second scorer for someone. Would like to find someone who knows sports for SACRONYM and "classic rock" for Chuck Berry.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think I have a tentative SACRONYM team.

Looking for teammates for GEODUCK, Modern Age, and Thought who don't mind losing a lot. Would like to play Chuck Berry; do know some older "rock." I'd like to play Stock Clues depending on the time it runs, but I don't eat food, so that's a problem.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I'm looking for a team for The Modern Age, I guess. Or I can staff it.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Looking for teammates for everything but SACRONYM.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

I am looking for a team for all events except Stock Clues.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Looking for teammates for everything (Except I think stock clues?). I am very bad at every side event available
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The cancellation of the Modern Age should ensure that Stock Clues and Celebs (possibly both, seeing as they're both tossups) can run on Saturday now.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote:The cancellation of the Modern Age should ensure that Stock Clues and Celebs (possibly both, seeing as they're both tossups) can run on Saturday now.
I propose that we try to run both Stock Clues and Celebs (in that order, after GEODUCK and Thought Monstrosity) on Saturday, and move Celebs to the last Sunday slot if the hour has grown very late on Saturday. It seems to me that GEODUCK could be completed before lunch, Thought Monstrosity and Stock Clues completed before dinner, and Celebs run after dinner. We can also run another poll to see what people's preferences are for when these two events get run.

I've created a new tab in the signup spreadsheet for Celebs. At Eliza's suggestion, I've made it quads for now.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Andrew Hart and I are looking for teammates for GEODUCK. You can tell how good I am at geography because I was pronouncing the tournament "Geo-Duck."
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota