Eisenhower Memorial Skype Tournament 3/18/17

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Eisenhower Memorial Skype Tournament 3/18/17

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This is the announcement for the official Skype mirror of the Eisenhower Memorial Tournament, which will take place on March 18th, 2017. This is a regular-minus tournament in line with past iterations of MUT. Full details about the set can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=19515

Logistics: This tournament will tentatively start at 11 AM Eastern Time. Based on available staffers, this tournament will have an initial field cap of 10 teams.

Purpose: To guarantee that our writing team puts out as high quality of a product as possible for our in-person mirrors, this tournament will be following from the philosophy of EFT 2016’s concept of a “playtest” skype mirror. For this reason, unlike all physical mirrors, which will be undergraduate-only (in line with past MUT’s), this tournament will be open to all interested players (graduate, unaffiliated, high school, etc.). With that said, if you would otherwise be eligible to play an in-person mirror of this tournament, and can plausibly attend such an in-person mirror, then we reserve the right to NOT permit you to play this tournament, since the number of teams is limited.

Note: This tournament will be happening one week before any physical mirrors, so any feedback provided by those who play this mirror will be greatly appreciated!

Cost: Since this will be the first mirror of this set, and feedback from those playing would be greatly appreciated, the entry fee for this tournament will be $15 per player. Specific payment details will be edited into this post later, but I expect us to be able to accept cash/checks, Venmo, and Paypal.

A sign-up sheet for use in forming teams can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Registration: Teams should email me to officially register for this. My email is [email protected]

Current field (6/10):
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
csheep
Wakka

Re: Eisenhower Memorial Skype Tournament 3/18/17

Post by csheep »

Any teams want to take a +1? I can buzz on some literature, music, and Chinese stuff.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Now that we're up to six teams for this tournament, I'm going to go ahead and lock the field. Any remaining free agents are welcomed to contact incomplete teams to join them. I will post more information about this tomorrow. For now, if someone from each team could send me an email confirming their rosters and listing everyone's skype usernames, that would much appreciated.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This tournament happened today! The team of Alston/Yu/Zhuang/Belal went 10-1 to win this tournament in a one-game final over the team of Raje/Manners/Ramapriya/Thompson (9-2). Stats will be up either very late tonight or (more likely) tomorrow afternoon, due to my having some other obligations. Thanks so much to everyone who showed up to play this set! Expect a private discussion forum to be set up soon.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Sorry for the brief delay, but stats for this tournament are up now. They can be found here!. Apologies for the 2 rounds of lost stats due to laptop issues in room 3. If/when we are able to re-construct those, I will re-upload these stats. For now, each of those two rounds are just marked as a forfeit in favor of the winning team to preserve overall standings/individual stats. Thanks again to everyone who participated in this tournament!
Ryan Humphrey
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This tournament was fun to play, and represented a good effort from a team of inexperienced writers, who furthermore indicated their eagerness to incorporate feedback and improve the tournament. I look forward to playing other tournaments these fine men and women work on the future!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Bensonfan23 wrote:Sorry for the brief delay, but stats for this tournament are up now. They can be found here!. Apologies for the 2 rounds of lost stats due to laptop issues in room 3. If/when we are able to re-construct those, I will re-upload these stats. For now, each of those two rounds are just marked as a forfeit in favor of the winning team to preserve overall standings/individual stats. Thanks again to everyone who participated in this tournament!
Thanks for the stats, and thanks for reading!

Incidentally, Jason on our team only played 7 games, not 9.
Also, according to my stats, you appear to have credited me for three 15s that belong to Chris Manners, but I don't know from which rounds.

Followup edit: Will there be a discussion thread for this tournament soon?
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

sephirothrr wrote:Followup edit: Will there be a discussion thread for this tournament soon?
There is now!

We'd love to hear from people who participated in the Skype playtesting (as we already have) and are in the process of polishing this question set for our first in-person mirrors. Thank you again to everybody who was involved with the EMT Skype mirror!
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21