"stanford housewrite" Errata

Old college threads.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

"stanford housewrite" Errata

Post by gyre and gimble »

If you noticed any clear mistakes, let us know!
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
aseem.keyal
Wakka

Re: Errata

Post by aseem.keyal »

Packet 3 says Richard Wilbur, not Robinson Jeffers, wrote the poem Hurt Hawks.
Packet 10 wrote:Bortemozib is a protease inhibitor that can effectively deplete the “long-lived” versions of these cells, which can cause SLE in mice.
I'm fairly certain "Bortemozib" should be spelled "Bortezomib".

Packet 12 incorrectly gives the key of Glazunov's Violin Concerto as A major, when it's actually A minor.
Last edited by aseem.keyal on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aseem Keyal
Berkeley '18
yeah viv talk nah
Wakka

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Sorry if this is nitpicking, but in the tossup on Surya in packet 11, it says Kunti begot a son "with" Surya.
This isn't true, since the main point in the story of the birth of Karna is that Kunti was given Karna by Surya (through her boon) without any procreation between Surya and Kunti. After she was given Karna, she started worrying that people would think poorly of her son since she was unmarried, so she "abandoned" Karna, etc.

I guess a quick fix would just be to change "with" to "from".
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

The bonus part on GABA refers to it as an excitatory neurotransmitter, which was quite confusing, and as far as I can find this is only true in the developing brain; in the mature brain and elsewhere in the central nervous system, GABA is inhibitory.
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Kalevipoeg wrote:The bonus part on GABA refers to it as an excitatory neurotransmitter, which was quite confusing, and as far as I can find this is only true in the developing brain; in the mature brain and elsewhere in the central nervous system, GABA is inhibitory.
This is correct.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Svanhildr should also be acceptable in the bonus part on Svanhild in packet 5 (and people in my room that game who confidently insisted female figures in Norse myth can't have names ending in R should learn more things).

EDIT: In general it seemed like there were a noticeable number of complaints about not listing possible other answers, though I can't remember any other instances of this off the top of my head.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

One that comes to mind is the Hippodrome question, where an early buzz of Constantinople was not prompted. There may have been others, I know some readers mentioned there were very few alternate answers throughout.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

Grangalan Jr. Jr. wrote:One that comes to mind is the Hippodrome question, where an early buzz of Constantinople was not prompted. There may have been others, I know some readers mentioned there were very few alternate answers throughout.
Yeah I was also slightly confused on this because I didn't hear that they needed a "structure" until after Serpent's Column was dropped, although I certainly may have missed something. Maybe something in the first line that clearly indicates that you want something other than a city would be helpful or prompting early on Constantinople.

In general, I thought that the classical history in this tournament was excellent, with reasonably adventurous and important answerlines. I was delighted to see Nicias tossed up, despite negging it, as he is immensely important to the course of the Peloponnesian war even though he is not that quiz bowl famous.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

The Grubbs catalyst bonus appears in both packets 9 and 10.

The oxidation tossup claims the Swern oxidation says "oxalyl acetate;" this is incorrect and it should read "oxalyl chloride." I thus interpreted the clue as "oxaloacetate" and got confused.

The boron tossup states: "16. One atom of this element is present in an acid that is typically encountered adjoined to diethyl ether."
I assume this is talking about how boranes commonly form adducts with ethers like DEE and THF, but this is in no way unique to boron. A quick google search gives me this, for example.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT