Christmas Present: Individual Questions & Errata

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Christmas Present: Individual Questions & Errata

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Ask about individual questions (and for me to post them, if applicable) here. Also, feel free to point out any major mistakes. I know I forgot to include Leucothea as an alternate answer in the Ino tossup - I'll fix that.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
yeah viv talk nah
Wakka

Re: Individual Questions & Errata

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Could I see the tossups on the Geeta and Durga Pooja?

Also, thanks for writing this Will, I enjoyed playing it.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Packet 1 wrote:August Schlegel said of this text “It is perhaps the deepest and loftiest thing the world has to show” and translated it into Latin. Some apologists identify apparent scientific truth in this text in comparing its line “curving back within myself, I create again and again” to the Big Crunch theory of the end of the universe. In this text, a man identifies the three gates to darkness as being lust, greed, and anger. This text then states that avoiding these, recognition of one’s stage in life or ashram, and acting in (*) accordance with one’s nature or varna is the path to self-realization. This text’s core theme is that, in the context of samsara, it is most important for one to fulfill one’s dharma, so its central character should put aside concerns about slaughtering friends on the fields of Kurukshetra. For 10 points, name this 700-verse dialogue between Arjuna and Krishna from the Mahabharata.
ANSWER: Bhagavad Gita [prompt on Mahabharata until it is mentioned]
Packet 6 wrote:In West Bengal, the ceremonies for this event are conducted in public platforms called thakur dalan. In Calcutta, the most elaborate pandals are constructed for this event, which is often kicked off these days with a two-hour long radio program on which the Chandipath is read. This event begins on Mahalya and lasts six days, the last of which is called Dussehara. Skilled drummers called dhaki often dance during the (*) aarti that is part of this event, which is performed during the festival of Navratri. This event involves the submerging of the idol of the slaying of the buffalo-demon Mahishasura. For 10 points, identify this devotional ceremony dedicated to a martial Hindu goddess.
ANSWER: Durga puja [prompt on puja or anything mentioning Shakti; accept Navratri or Dussehara until “Dussehara” is read; afterwards, prompt on Navratri until it too is read]
I'm curious to hear how I did on the Hindu content overall. I obviously don't have an Indian cultural background, but I tried to find answers/clues by organically trying to learn more about Hindu religion and culture - hence the Manu tossup clued partly from the Manusmrti, the Indra tossup with the story of the lifting of Govardhana hill, etc. The Bhagavad Gita tossup made more use of Western/modern stuff, though that's just because I found the modern apologetics interesting.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
yeah viv talk nah
Wakka

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Packet 1 wrote:This text’s core theme is that, in the context of samsara, it is most important for one to fulfill one’s dharma, so its central character should put aside concerns about slaughtering friends on the fields of Kurukshetra.
I didn't get to hear this line in play, but I liked the way you phrased this line. However, since you said your aim was to learn more about Hindu religion, I will point out that one of the main points of the Geeta in context of the Mahabharata is that Arjuna is only acting like he is afraid of killing his relatives and friends because he is afraid that after the war, none of the people he kills will be around to praise his efforts. Krishna points out how foolish Arjuna is being; Arjuna has literally killed hundreds of thousands of people before, so why is he complaining now? So it's not really that Krishna tells him to "put the concerns aside", it's more that these "concerns" are fake in the first place and Arjuna should just keep doing what he has been doing naturally for his entire life.

In play, I was confused when the reader said "Dussehara", which in English sounds like "doo-say-haa-ruh". It's pronounced "duh-suh-ruh" and thus usually spelled in English as "Dasara" or "Dussehra". Also, the power mark seems to be randomly placed; the "aarti" clue doesn't supply anything that could separate 15 and 10, so you could have extended power until "Navratri" was read. Other than those things, this was a great tossup.

Overall, I think you did a great job and you seem to have enjoyed learning about these things, so that's great!
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
khannate
Lulu

Post by khannate »

Could you post the tossups on Friday prayer and Ashura?
Samir Khan
UChicago '19
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Packet 1 wrote:11. A sura that shares its name with this practice criticizes the Jews for ignoring the message of Islam because its messenger was born among the gentiles. Participating in this practice has become common among Shi’a since the Iranian Revolution, though traditionally Shi’a scholars ruled that participating in this practice was immoral until the coming of the Imam. Instead of [emphasize] a simple wudu, a full ghusl is recommended to be done before participation in this practice, which replaces the zuhr and is distinguished from similar instances by the presence of a (*) khatib who gives a sermon. Though this practice is only recommended [emphasize] for women, it is mandatory for men - the genders are traditionally segregated during it. For 10 points, identify this congregational prayer held within a Mosque on a specific day of the week.
ANSWER: Friday prayer [or jumu’ah; accept anything that indicates that Muslims are praying on Friday; prompt on congregational prayer or salat by asking “when?”; prompt on noon prayer or afternoon prayer or Zuhr prayer (until read) by asking “on what day of the week?”]
Packet 7 wrote:6. Those who feed the hungry on this holiday are said to be rewarded with wine called salsabil, which may be one reason an ancient tradition of donating food called nazr is popular on this holiday. Pious members of one sect keep a fast called roja on this holiday, a practice supposedly adopted after the Jews, who were said to feast on this day in commemoration of the defeat of Pharaoh. Scholars disagree over whether talwar zani, a practice on this holiday in South Asia, is permissible as a folk tradition. The Red Cross collaborates with many scholars to encourage Muslims to donate (*) blood on this holiday. This holiday often features re-enactments of the Battle of Karbala. Though many religious leaders have banned extreme forms of tatbir, such as maiming oneself with knives or chains on this holiday, it’s still popular to flagellate oneself in countries like Iran. For 10 points, name this holiday on which Shi’a commemorate the martyrdom of Husayn.
ANSWER: Day of Ashura [prompt on answers mentioning Husayn]
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Chaac and Ayyy
Lulu

Post by Chaac and Ayyy »

Could I see the tossups about the Mayans and Philip Zimbardo, please?
Kevin Deam
Pennsylvania State University, 2016
Be excellent to each other, as well as yourself.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Chaac and Ayyy wrote:Could I see the tossups about the Mayans and Philip Zimbardo, please?
The set is available for public download - feel free to peruse it yourself!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16