Interest in Trash Tournament at Chicago Open?

Old college threads.
icarium
Lulu

Interest in Trash Tournament at Chicago Open?

Post by icarium »

Hey All,

The weekend might be too crowded as is, but Andrew and I wanted to see about interest in a trash tournament co-written by us that weekend as well.

The tournament would be comparable to trash questions we've written in year's past for those familiar with our output, but if you're not, I guess the closest circuit equivalent would be Ann B. Davis, with some tweaks to the distribution.

If you are interested, e-mail me at [email protected]
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

This sounds interesting.

I am interested in packing as many events as possible into the weekend. I assume I speak for a few other people on that point.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Yeah, now we just need lit and history singles, and a 36 hour day.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
icarium
Lulu

Post by icarium »

If people are actually interested in playing in a trash tournament please e-mail me at [email protected]. I think we'd need at least 6 teams to make it feasible to run.

Here are some details:

- The packets would be 20/20 following this basic distribution: 5/5 Sports, 5/5 Music, 6/6 Visual (Movies and TV), and 4/4 Other (video games, comics, pop lit including sci fi/fantasy and Ian McEwan, food and drink, games, fashion and fragrances, quizbowl celebrities, gossip - quizbowl and otherwise, etc.)

- With the possible exception of 1/1 Visual, 1/1 Music, and a minority of the sports (a max of 2/1 or 1/2), the questions in each packet will be on things of the last couple of decades.

- The questions will be shorter than the standard of today's ACF.

- The base fee will be $60, with a $10 discount if you played in the academic team tournament (1 per team), and a $5 buzzer discount (1 per team)

- Teams will be guaranteed 8 games

How can you not want to play in this thing? So if you're interested, let me know.

Subash
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

Well all hearsay seems to indicate that this trash tournament is happening, have people started putting together teams yet? Just curious to see what the field may look like, and also because I may be interested in playing, at least until I have to get to the airport. Feel free to e-mail me if you might be needing a trash free agent.
"They sometimes get fooled by the direction a question is going to take, and that's intentional," said Reid. "The players on these teams are so good that 90 percent of the time they could interrupt the question and give the correct answer if the questions didn't take those kinds of turns. That wouldn't be fun to watch, so every now and then as I design these suckers, I say to myself, 'Watch this!' and wait 'til we're on camera. I got a lot of dirty looks this last tournament."
vsirin
Lulu

Post by vsirin »

Chris Frankel wrote:Well all hearsay seems to indicate that this trash tournament is happening, have people started putting together teams yet?
I have it on excellent authority that this tournament will be taking place. My predictions for the top 5:

1. Fuck You, Whippersnappers (Jim Dendy, Eric Hillemann, Tom Waters, Don Wyndham) Irked by the disrespect shown them in the recent spurious "top players" list, four legends of the game settle their differences to confront a common enemy: current undergraduates. Oh, the humanity!

2. Ed Cohn's Bastard Love Children (Chris Frankel, Dan Passner, Mike Sorice, Leo Wolpert) This team's going to be tough to beat. So balanced!

3. Chris Romero Stole My Pants (Chris Romero) His top 3 finish as a one-man team should raise many questions about Dwight Kidder's alleged "dominance" of the format.

4. Group Portrait with Jerry Vinokurov (Jeff Hoppes, Jon Pennington, Seth Teitler, Jerry Vinokurov) The addition of Pennington to 75% of the 2004 ACF finalist should propel this dynamic squad of underrated West Coasters to a fourth place finish.

5. Elegy for the Death of the Keller Cup (Craig Barker, Jason Keller, Dwight Kidder, Sudheer Potru) Following the demise of the lamented Keller Cup, four sadder but wiser quizbowlers will converge on Chicago determined to make the best of a diminished summer circuit.

Good luck to all!
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

On that note, does anyone have the rosters to actual teams coming to this as of now? At this point alls I know is that I am playing with Ted Stratton and two of four other people. It would be interesting to see who wants in on this tournament, especially if there is a 1/1 Ian McEwan dist.

Edit: In case anyone is at all interested, our team at this point looks to be myself, Ted Stratton, Chris Romero and Eric Kwartler.
Last edited by Rothlover on Tue May 31, 2005 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Since I'm bound to be hanging around Sunday anyway, I'd also like to put myself out as a trash free agent if someone needs a player. Let it be noted that I'm a terrible trash player and will contribute very little, but I will chip in money and fill a chair (and, on the upside, I won't neg nearly as much because I'll have no idea what's going on). My email if anyone's interested: [email protected]