Penn Bowl at MIT (October 24, 2015)

Old college threads.
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Penn Bowl at MIT (October 24, 2015)

Post by alinktothefuture »

Hello, everyone! I am pleased to announce that MIT will be hosting the Northeast mirror of Penn Bowl on Saturday, October 24, 2015. This is a closed, regular-difficulty college tournament that is open only to teams comprising players from a single institution. There are no packet-submission requirements for this tournament. More information about the set can be found in the main site announcement here.

LOCATION AND SCHEDULE: The tournament will take place on MIT's campus in Cambridge, MA. Teams should report to room 4-270 (located on the second floor of Building 4) in the morning for registration and opening announcements. We ask that teams arrive between 8:15 and 8:45 in the morning for registration; we'd like to get started as close to 9 as possible. A map of MIT's campus can be found here.

GETTING TO MIT: MIT is easily accessible via the Boston T system by taking the Red Line to the Kendall/MIT stop. If driving, please note that parking is very difficult to find on the MIT campus. A list of parking locations on campus can be found here.

FEES: We will be using the same fee structure as the main site, which is as follows:

+$120: each team
-$5: each buzzer set provided. In order to receive this discount, the buzzer system must be fully functional.
-$15: each volunteer staffer provided.
-$10: for teams traveling in excess of 200 miles one-way, as determined by the distance Google Maps provides between MIT and your school.

PAYMENT: Teams may pay either in advance or on the day of the tournament. Either cash or check is acceptable; please make checks out to "MIT Quiz Bowl Team." If you require an invoice or other paperwork prior to payment, please let us know as soon as possible.

REGISTRATION: The initial cap is 16 teams, but this cap may increase depending on staff availability. In order to register for this tournament, please email ALL of the following information to me at saumilb [AT] mit [DOT] edu:
1. School name
2. Number of teams you are registering
3. Cell phone number at which you can be reached on the day of the tournament.
4. The number of buzzers and staffers you are intending to bring.

Although expressions of interest in this forum are appreciated, the only official means of registration is by emailing the above information to me. Registering teams should receive an email of confirmation within a day.

Please feel free to contact me at saumilb [AT] mit [DOT] edu if you have any questions or concerns about the tournament.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
Maggie Walker '13 | MIT '17, '2X
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Re: Penn Bowl at MIT (October 24, 2015)

REGISTERED TEAMS
AMSA (1 team; 2 buzzers)
Bethlehem Central (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Boston College (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Brandeis (1 team)
Brown (2 teams)
Dartmouth (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Harvard (2 teams; 3 buzzers)
Lexington (1 team; 1 buzzer)
MIT (1 team)
Tufts (2 teams)
Yale (3 teams; 2 buzzers)

TOTAL: 16 teams; 11 buzzers
Last edited by alinktothefuture on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
alinktothefuture
Lulu

With a little more than a month to go, the field is now more than half full. There's still plenty of space left, so get your registrations in!
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
alinktothefuture
Lulu

The field is now closed. Further registrations will be added to a waitlist.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Prelim stats will be semi-live-updated here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3198/.

EDIT: Complete prelim stats are now up.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Yale defeated Harvard A in a one-game final to win this tournament. Stats will be posted later tonight.

Thanks to everyone for coming!
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Prelim, playoffs (including games carried over from prelims for determining final placement), and combined stat reports have now been posted here.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Both Brown B and Tufts B are listed as having won their last game against the other via forfeit, when I assume that at most one of them would have done so (unless, I suppose, they both left before their last game, though perhaps in that case it might have been better to put them both down for a loss).
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
alinktothefuture
Lulu

Xochiquetzal wrote:Both Brown B and Tufts B are listed as having won their last game against the other via forfeit, when I assume that at most one of them would have done so (unless, I suppose, they both left before their last game, though perhaps in that case it might have been better to put them both down for a loss).
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure why that's the case -- the scoreboard is correctly displaying the match result as Tufts B defeating Brown B through a forfeit, even though the overall results page lists both teams winning. If someone has encountered this issue before in SQBS and knows how to resolve it, I'd very much appreciate a PM.
Saumil Bandyopadhyay