ACF Fall Northeast at Yale (November 7, 2015)

Old college threads.
Grace
Wakka

ACF Fall Northeast at Yale (November 7, 2015)

Post by Grace »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the Northeast site of ACF Fall 2015, to be held at Yale University on Saturday, 7 November 2015. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, and we do hope that you join us at this event. Registration time and location will be updated soon.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to us at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems*: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International**: -$20
New to ACF teams***: -$25
New quizbowl teams****: -$75

* No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
** For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
*** For schools which haven't played an ACF tournament between September 2013 and August 2015, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
**** For schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2014 is required to submit a packet. High school players attending high school-only sites are included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they'll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2015: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule
11.59 PM PST September 13: -$30
11.59 PM PST September 27: -$15 (-$30 if optional)
11.59 PM PST October 11: no penalty (-$25 if optional)
11.59 PM PST October 18: +$25
11.59 PM PST October 25: +$50
After October 25: +$10/day until October 31; teams who are required to submit a packet and do not submit one by November 1 will not be allowed to play.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam with any questions regarding payment.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2015 or email the editors at [email protected].
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
KnicksRule
Wakka

Re: ACF Fall Northeast at Yale (November 7, 2015)

Post by KnicksRule »

Would Yale be open to hosting a high school division on the day of the ACF Fall Tournament?
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

KnicksRule wrote:Would Yale be open to hosting a high school division on the day of the ACF Fall Tournament?
There';s a slight possibility
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

While the official list of registered teams is available via the spreadsheet on the main ACF Fall announcement, I've included a field update below.

[Updated 11/4]
(Teams/Buzzers/Staff/Laptop) (14/7/0/3)
Vassar (1/1/0/0)
Amherst (3/0/0/0)
CCSU (1/0/0/0)
MIT (3/1/0/0)
Cornell (2/1/0/0)
Boston College (1/1/0/1)
RPI (1/1/0/1)
Vermont (1/0/0/1)
Harvard (1/2/0/0)
Last edited by Grace on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grace Liu
Yale University '16
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Any updates on where on campus this will be?
Rachel
UChicago 09
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

The tournament will take place at William L. Harkness Hall on 100 Wall St. More details and a field update to come this weekend.
Grace Liu
Yale University '16
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

The field listing upthread has been updated. If there are any discrepancies between what I've listed for your team and the actual situation, please let me know as soon as possible. All team contacts should expect a logistical email today. Thanks, and see you soon!
Grace Liu
Yale University '16
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

So this tournament wrapped up for me at least (I'm not sure what's going on in terms of finals) about fifteen minutes ago at 4:15PM. As near as I could tell it went off without a hitch. The moderators I had were good and kept things flowing very well.

However, there is one thing I must strenuously object to. According to my understanding of the ACF hosting guidelines, ACF hosts have to offer at least 10 games for each team. However, those of us in the lower bracket only had the opportunity to play 9, which is why I'm home at 4:30. Unless I'm very mistaken, I don't think byes count as games, or at least they shouldn't. Given that many teams pay a good amount of money to play these tournaments, the schedule should have allowed for more games. It looks like everyone in the upper bracket and the high school division got 10 games, which is still pretty low. I'm not going to say I know of an easy way to make this schedule, but I'm pretty disheartened that this happened.
Rachel
UChicago 09
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:So this tournament wrapped up for me at least (I'm not sure what's going on in terms of finals) about fifteen minutes ago at 4:15PM. As near as I could tell it went off without a hitch. The moderators I had were good and kept things flowing very well.

However, there is one thing I must strenuously object to. According to my understanding of the ACF hosting guidelines, ACF hosts have to offer at least 10 games for each team. However, those of us in the lower bracket only had the opportunity to play 9, which is why I'm home at 4:30. Unless I'm very mistaken, I don't think byes count as games, or at least they shouldn't. Given that many teams pay a good amount of money to play these tournaments, the schedule should have allowed for more games. It looks like everyone in the upper bracket and the high school division got 10 games, which is still pretty low. I'm not going to say I know of an easy way to make this schedule, but I'm pretty disheartened that this happened.
We're sorry about this—we just didn't think about it when making the schedule.

MIT A defeated MIT B in a one-game final to win this tournament. MIT A took first-place undergraduate and MIT B took first-place DII.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Due to Grace's computer unfortunately getting fried midway through the tournament, we may not be able to get stats up for some time—thanks for everyone's patience.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

I want to thank the folks from Yale for a really well-run, enjoyable tournament. We had a very good time playing a lot of very close games. Thank you.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

The scheduling snafu that left some some college teams with only 9 games was entirely my fault, and I'm terribly sorry about it. That definitely should not have happened, and I owe everyone a lot of apologies.

Full stats are (thanks to a loaner laptop from Yale's Technology Troubleshooting Services) available here. Please let me know if there are any corrections to be made.
Grace Liu
Yale University '16
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

I don't know if you guys still remember, but I'd appreciate hearing how the protests in our round against Vermont were resolved, because it looks like neither of us got points for our respective protests.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Santa Claus wrote:I don't know if you guys still remember, but I'd appreciate hearing how the protests in our round against Vermont were resolved, because it looks like neither of us got points for our respective protests.
We resolved the first in your favor and the second against Vermont.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
jfuchs
Lulu

Post by jfuchs »

Grace wrote:Full stats are (thanks to a loaner laptop from Yale's Technology Troubleshooting Services) available here. Please let me know if there are any corrections to be made.
One minor correction: in the combined stats, Bryce on MIT A appears as both Huang and Hwang; the second one is the correct spelling.
Julian Fuchs
MIT '18