Page 1 of 2

VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:02 am
by otsasonr
The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce its annual rendition of VETO, to be held on Saturday, 25 July 2015.

As always, VETO is a guerrilla tournament, and open to all players. There is no tournament fee.

Details about the expected distribution of packets, and other details, can be found here.

There is an 11 team field cap. To register, teams must email me at reinotsason [AT] gmail [DOT] com. You can use this thread to express interest and find teams, but official registration must occur via email.

More details will be announced closer to the date of the tournament.

Field
McGill
Peter Cordeiro's team
The Jordan Palmer Experience
Colonel By Alumni
Aaron, Dennis, and Shelby
Jonathan Klein's team
The Nick Penner Team
0.999... = 1 (Cole, Meghan, Rein, Daniel)
Jay, Aayush, and Huma
Patrick's team
Eric Smith's team
Waiting List

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:12 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
McGill has 1 spot open. If you have ever wanted to spend a day with the charming Derek So, now is your chance.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
Rein, who should we send the packets to, and when are they officially due?

Also, is there someone running this tournament I can confer with to see if our gobstopper-like ideas are too stupid to use?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:01 pm
by minusfive
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:Rein, who should we send the packets to, and when are they officially due?
I'm not Rein, but you normally get until the day before, and send it to someone on the West Coast.
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:Also, is there someone running this tournament I can confer with to see if our gobstopper-like ideas are too stupid to use?

I have a good feeling about this. But seriously 1) I will eat at least 1 gobstopper if you bring them and 2) If you have to ask whether something is "too stupid" you kind of suggest the answer.

Can someone not me (because je suis lazy) find out if we can mirror Geo Mon 7 at the end of the tournament?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:13 pm
by otsasonr
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:Rein, who should we send the packets to, and when are they officially due?
I will update later with where the packets need to be sent exactly, but Jordan is correct in that it will be to someone at the Vancouver site the night before.
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:Also, is there someone running this tournament I can confer with to see if our gobstopper-like ideas are too stupid to use?
Well, it's VETO, so you can do whatever you want really. Use your best judgment. Just remember that people primarily want to play quizbowl and not a Japanese game show.
minusfive wrote:Can someone not me (because je suis lazy) find out if we can mirror Geo Mon 7 at the end of the tournament?
I will look into this.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:20 pm
by Important Bird Area
otsasonr wrote:
minusfive wrote:Can someone not me (because je suis lazy) find out if we can mirror Geo Mon 7 at the end of the tournament?
I will look into this.
I would be happy to make GM7 available for a mirror.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 am
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
There are unconfirmed rumors that VETO Sunday is going to be a mirror of HSNCT for those who didn't play or staff the event (Hey I can play any of the first 16 rounds of this if various mouths are kept shut!). If these rumors are true, then we should spend all of Saturday night playing various side events that were left out in the Delta Burke/NASAT weekend.

A more serious question, when does this event end? I know it's not advised to book early tickets, but the last train back to Ottawa leaves at 6:30pm.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:37 am
by otsasonr
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:A more serious question, when does this event end? I know it's not advised to book early tickets, but the last train back to Ottawa leaves at 6:30pm.
Catching the 6:30 PM train is probably doable but not advisable. I expect VETO to finish by 5:30 given the field-cap I've set, but VETO games sometimes take longer to play for various reasons. So caveat viator.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:39 pm
by otsasonr
We have 9 teams signed up, so the field is now full. If you want to be put on a waiting list pending a possible increase in the field cap, let me know.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 am
by Senator_Jay
Well, considering I've never not played VETO, I'd like a field cap increase to happen. In the event that doesn't happen, is there any team willing to take me on? I'll write questions and stuff.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:46 pm
by Peter13
Senator_Jay wrote:is there any team willing to take me on? I'll write questions and stuff.
My team will happily take you, since I am pretty much the only confirmed member.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:22 am
by p-vs-vp
otsasonr wrote:
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:Also, is there someone running this tournament I can confer with to see if our gobstopper-like ideas are too stupid to use?
Well, it's VETO, so you can do whatever you want really. Use your best judgment. Just remember that people primarily want to play quizbowl and not a Japanese game show.
This is untrue. I'd kick a baby to get on a Japanese game show.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 pm
by otsasonr
The field cap for this tournament has now increased to 11 teams.

Any other interested team, besides the one on the wait list, should sign up, since we want an odd number of teams for obvious reasons.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:28 pm
by Masked Canadian History Bandit
I emailed Rein, but regardles if I have my own team, I plan to play this and am looking for teammates.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 am
by minusfive
otsasonr wrote:The Jordan Palmer Experience
The Jordan Palmer Experience is an exhibition team designed to allow me to play with as many people as possible on my last day of quizbowl life. If you are looking for a team but can't find one, it's probable that you can jump on my (exhibition) team for a few rounds and I'd love to play with you.
I've already written a full pack.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:23 am
by naan/steak-holding toll
Truly, fate is a cruel thing.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:38 pm
by orgoman
I would love to play this tourney and would drive the 7+ hours to do so. Anyone need a movie/TV/Chem expert?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:33 pm
by adosreme
I'm now playing this with Shelby and Dennis, so that should leave an open spot (edit: since my team didn't have anyone else on it). I believe some Waterloo people like Erik Christensen, Peter Liu, Ming Ho, and others wanted to form a team, and last i heard Brian Luong was looking for a team as well.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 pm
by minusfive
If one more team can be squished together (from 2 now-field teams) to make it a 9-team field again, that might be best, since an 11-rd RR VETO plus playoff(s) will be loooooooonnnngggg.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:52 pm
by minusfive
Alternatively, if 2 more teams join, we could do a 6-6 split and then playoffs (top 2 from each RR and then finals, as many rounds as people want in the bottom). Might be long, but it would certainly be interesting. Again again, we could do 2 divisions, even.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:17 am
by Peter13
I may or may not have Adam Swift on my team, but the rest of the spots are open, so any stragglers are free to join. Also, is there anyway we can set up a spreadsheet or something to see each team and the number of people associated with that team?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:50 am
by otsasonr
Peter13 wrote:Also, is there anyway we can set up a spreadsheet or something to see each team and the number of people associated with that team?
I will do that shortly.

EDIT: This is now available here.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:01 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
At this point, the McGill team is So/Su/Drake/Drake. I will let you know ASAP as to if the Drakes are actually able to make it.

Now that Sunday's tournament is pretty much confirmed, which means Saturday night is free for Quizbowl, I would like to propose a BONGOS mirror. It's 147 science tossups ranging from Regionals-minus to ACF Nationals level. Others who aren't Aaron Dos Remedios may be interested in more Eliza Grames Trash that wasn't played at Waterloo in June, or ACFNATIONALS; I do not want to be involved in organizing the trash.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm
by minusfive
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:BONGOS mirror. It's 147 science tossups ranging from Regionals-minus to ACF Nationals level. Others who aren't Aaron Dos Remedios may be interested in more Eliza Grames Trash that wasn't played at Waterloo in June, or ACFNATIONALS; I do not want to be involved in organizing the trash.
Before/after/during Geo Mon?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 pm
by otsasonr
I would support running a BONGOS mirror, as I would like to play it. Unless there is anyone interested in playing both GeoMon and BONGOS, it would probably be prudent timewise to run them concurrently.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:41 pm
by minusfive
Although the last attempt ended in failure and ignominy, it might be worth trying a trans-Canada Championship Match again. Although the BC people got hosed last time and probably don't want to, I will promise on my own grave (can I do that even?) that this will happen if all parties agree.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
BONGOS has been posted online already. Therefore, this side event is completely free to play. Since the set is online already, please, please, if you want to hear the set and compete with others, don't read the questions.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm
by Mightyrodrigo
Do any teams want to merge so we can have another team? :) I have a team of 4 people.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:47 am
by Peter13
Mightyrodrigo wrote:Do any teams want to merge so we can have another team? :) I have a team of 4 people.
If there are any groups of 2, Adam and I can merge with that team. Alternatively, Adam could go on Aaron's team, and I can join another group of three.

EDIT: I can now say that Adam is confirmed to be on my team and it also includes Brian and Leslie.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:53 pm
by Senator_Jay
I'd like to play both BONGOS and GeoMon. GeoMon I've heard is pretty short this year, so we should be able to fit it in...

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:16 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
I believe I can make use of 70 rock and roll audio and 70 classical audio questions for use this weekend. We already have a full slate of side events. Would people want to play these over lunch? Would people want to play these over Sunday evening? These tossups are super short (30-45 seconds) and on the easy side of easy, so won't take more than 45 minutes or so each.

For Saturday, can we do VETO, Geo, Dinner, BONGOS? BONGOS is 7 rounds of longer tossups and will take a not insignificant time to do.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:08 am
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
McGill has a free agent blind to our packet.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:28 pm
by adosreme
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:I believe I can make use of 70 rock and roll audio and 70 classical audio questions for use this weekend. We already have a full slate of side events. Would people want to play these over lunch? Would people want to play these over Sunday evening? These tossups are super short (30-45 seconds) and on the easy side of easy, so won't take more than 45 minutes or so each.
I'm down to play both of these. Either lunch or Sunday evening is alright with me. How much do they want for this?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:46 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
adosreme wrote:
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:I believe I can make use of 70 rock and roll audio and 70 classical audio questions for use this weekend. We already have a full slate of side events. Would people want to play these over lunch? Would people want to play these over Sunday evening? These tossups are super short (30-45 seconds) and on the easy side of easy, so won't take more than 45 minutes or so each.
I'm down to play both of these. Either lunch or Sunday evening is alright with me. How much do they want for this?
Negotiations are currently underway. There's even a chance that these packets will already be online by the time VETO hits.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:40 pm
by adosreme
So it looks like we have at least 3 free agents as of now:

- the McGill free agent
- Peter Torres from UCF
- Benzene from Waterloo

If teams are shorthanded and don't mind taking on one or more of these people, it would be great if you could let them know (or let me know and I will pass the message on). Also, if I have accidentally listed you as a free agent when you have a team, tell me and I can remove your name from this list.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:48 am
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
adosreme wrote:
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:I believe I can make use of 70 rock and roll audio and 70 classical audio questions for use this weekend. We already have a full slate of side events. Would people want to play these over lunch? Would people want to play these over Sunday evening? These tossups are super short (30-45 seconds) and on the easy side of easy, so won't take more than 45 minutes or so each.
I'm down to play both of these. Either lunch or Sunday evening is alright with me. How much do they want for this?
I got permission to do these for free. 70 audio TUs each.

EDIT: People have expressed interest to do the classical music audio questions over lunch on Saturday. It won't take more than 30 minutes. Is the food truck open for a quick lunch grab?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:28 am
by otsasonr
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote: People have expressed interest to do the classical music audio questions over lunch on Saturday. It won't take more than 30 minutes. Is the food truck open for a quick lunch grab?
There are usually a few food trucks outside Sid Smith, even on the weekend.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:58 pm
by TheRhymeMinister
Since we're less than a week away from the tournament, can someone provide a more definite schedule of what side events are being played, and when they're being played?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:02 am
by otsasonr
TheRhymeMinister wrote:Since we're less than a week away from the tournament, can someone provide a more definite schedule of what side events are being played, and when they're being played?
BONGOS, GeoMon, and the audio tossups all have enough apparent interest to play them.

To help me decide on a schedule for these side events, please fill out this form.

I'll announce the final schedule tomorrow evening, so get your responses in!

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:47 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
For the sake of people who don't forum, this seems to be what people would most be interested in.

Saturday:
classical music at lunch
geography after VETO
DINNER BREAK
science after dinner

Sunday
rock and roll Audio, lunch or after tournament.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:12 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
Question 1: When and where do we submit our packet for the Vancouver site?

Question 2: For the Toronto site, should we print out enough copies of our packet, including visual bonuses, for all rooms?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 pm
by minusfive
I've heard that GeoMon this year is quite a quick tournament: would it make sense to run this at lunch instead of the classical music? This might give the advantage of ensuring a longer lunch (pushing the VETO endtime back but presumably keeping the total endtime the same) for people not involved in GM (like, say, 1.5 hrs to rest and recharge). Just a suggestion, not wedded to it.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:16 pm
by mhyee
This is totally selfish, but since I'd like to play classical music and I have to leave early (my family made plans for the evening), I would prefer music to be during lunch. But if it's better for the schedule or people prefer to run music at a different time, I'll just be a little sad and complain quietly to my family.

Also, question: are we confirmed to be in Sid Smith?

And since I'm posting here, I might as well mention that I'm playing on Patrick's team.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:25 pm
by adosreme
minusfive wrote:I've heard that GeoMon this year is quite a quick tournament: would it make sense to run this at lunch instead of the classical music? This might give the advantage of ensuring a longer lunch (pushing the VETO endtime back but presumably keeping the total endtime the same) for people not involved in GM (like, say, 1.5 hrs to rest and recharge). Just a suggestion, not wedded to it.
I strongly suggest not extending lunch on Saturday. As you know from playing this tournament many times, the wildly variable nature of VETO questions has historically made this quite a long and tiring tournament and extending the lunch period will just make it longer. (especially with side events taking place afterwards)

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:35 pm
by Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire
Classical music won't take more than 30 minutes if it's Jordan v Jay v ADR v Ming-Ho. We can grab food at the food truck and head back immediately.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:30 am
by Important Bird Area
This year's GM is a total of 30/30, so it shouldn't take very long to play. Let me know where I should send the packets.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:00 pm
by minusfive
Channelling my inner Neftali Reyes:
bird bird bird bird bird wrote:This year's GM is a total of 30/30, so it shouldn't take very long to play. Let me know where I should send the packets.
Yes, this seems ideal to be done right after VETO finishes. Rein, are you the person who is receiving the GM packets, or are you planning to play (or both)?

Jeff, are those North American or Australian White Pelicans?

Does anyone know if Rico is bringing cookies or books (probably cookies?) in addition to a trophy?

Is anyone at all interested in a Trans-Canada VETO match if they win VETO East? Last call...

And Rein, is there any construction/Pan Am stuff around U of T that might make Saturday morning interesting?

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:19 pm
by adosreme
minusfive wrote:Does anyone know if Rico is bringing cookies or books (probably cookies?) in addition to a trophy?
From what I've heard, Rico might be bringing cookies. No promises though.

I am bringing books.
minusfive wrote:Is anyone at all interested in a Trans-Canada VETO match if they win VETO East? Last call...
I can't speak for others, but I am not.
minusfive wrote:And Rein, is there any construction/Pan Am stuff around U of T that might make Saturday morning interesting?
At the very least, a bunch of highways and roads in and around Toronto have had their left lanes converted to HOV lanes. You can get more information about that here:

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/conte ... d60f89RCRD

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:05 pm
by Important Bird Area
American White Pelicans.

Re: VETO at the University of Toronto (2015-07-25)

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:10 pm
by TheRhymeMinister
The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:For the sake of people who don't forum, this seems to be what people would most be interested in.

Saturday:
classical music at lunch
geography after VETO
DINNER BREAK
science after dinner

Sunday
rock and roll Audio, lunch or after tournament.
I would prefer the rock and roll audio to be on Saturday and the science be moved to Sunday, in order that I can play the rock and not have to play science (I'm also speaking for my teammates Mike and Heather here).
minusfive wrote:Is anyone at all interested in a Trans-Canada VETO match if they win VETO East?
I will personally finance a Trans-Canada championship on the south shore of Yathkyed Lake, Nunavut (the country's geographic centre) if my team wins VETO East.