NASAT Open Mirror at Rice, 06-13-15

Old college threads.
luigibeatsmario
Lulu

NASAT Open Mirror at Rice, 06-13-15

Post by luigibeatsmario »

This is the general announcement of the mirror of the National All-Star Academic tournament (NASAT) question set, to be hosted at our campus in Houston, on Saturday, June 13, 2015 from 8:30 A.M. to around 5 P.M. More informaton about NASAT can be viewed on HSAPQ's announcement of the main tournament.

This tournament is an OPEN event. It is intended to be at the precise difficulty of ACF Regionals or other normal-difficulty college tournaments; that is, it is EASIER than the normal summer open. Anyone may play this tournament, in any combination of players on a team, except for people who work for HSAPQ. We invite current high schoolers not attending NASAT, current college students, and post-college people in quizbowl, including high school coaches, to attend.

The tournament will likely take place in the Humanities building, with the opening meeting conducted in the large amphitheater in Herring Hall.

Eligibility
Anyone at all may play this tournament unless you work for HSAPQ, or are playing/staffing/otherwise attending the site of NASAT itself (which will take place at the same time as this event and use the same questions, thus ruling out your participation in a mirror). Any combination of people may form a team. Standard rules on team size (max six on a roster, max four playing at one time) apply.

Registration and Fees
Base fee: $80
Buzzer discount: -$5
Staffer discount: -$10

The minimum fee is $40.

To register, you must e-mail me at akp2 at rice dot edu with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you intend to bring, an email address where you can be contacted with details, and a mobile phone number in case I need to contact you the morning of the tournament. Feel free to share this announcement with any people that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

Payment Methods
All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

All checks must be made out to "Rice University Quiz Bowl". If you bring a check not made out to "Rice University Quiz Bowl" and have no other method of paying for the tournament, you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

Food
Breakfast will not be provided by the tournament, but lunch will be Jimmy John's. Prior to the day of the tournament, I will collect lunch orders and before the opening meeting will collect payment for lunch.

Field (8/8)
Jake Sundberg and others (1)
Billy Beyer (1)
Gautam Kandlikar (1)
Andy Huff, William Golden, Aileen Zhang, Ujwal Punymurtula ("Their Accidency") (1)
Escandell (1)
Vi Nguyen and friends (1)
Rice/Baylor (1)
Stephen Badger and friends (1)
Last edited by luigibeatsmario on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Amanda Pinchbeck
President of the Rice University Quiz Bowl Club
Clear Brook High School ('13)
Rice University ('17)
luigibeatsmario
Lulu

Re: NASAT Open Mirror at Rice, 06-13-15

The entry fee has been discounted down to $80 from $120. This tournament is still happening, so feel free to email me with registrations!
Amanda Pinchbeck
Rice University ('17)
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Oh hey, more people signed up for this. Awesome.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

If the field stays at seven teams, I will join Jake's team so that we have a nice number.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Amanda is aware of this, but I thought I'd post here as well; I actually realized I have some work function in the afternoon of the 13th, so I'll be leaving post-lunch. I believe Amanda might have some updates to the schedule necessitated by my afternoon departure.

-Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
luigibeatsmario
Lulu

We'll be playing a double round robin with 6 teams! Billy and Jake's teams will merge, and I'm waiting for confirmation from Stephen Badger to merge Gautam with his team.
Amanda Pinchbeck
Rice University ('17)
luigibeatsmario
Lulu

Stats are posted!
Amanda Pinchbeck
Rice University ('17)
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

luigibeatsmario wrote:Stats are posted!
And they can be found here, for any curious parties.

Hope everyone had fun playing the NASAT set! If you have any feedback to give to the editors (I'm not sure if a private forum is going to be created), please feel free to email me any feedback, and I'll make sure to pass it along to the editors.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!