ACF Predictions

Old college threads.
Chris Frankel
Wakka

ACF Predictions

Post by Chris Frankel »

As I promised in my ICT predictions thread, I would try to get around to starting an ACF one. After asking around, talking to Litvak, and skimming pre-nationals threads, I have a basic outline of the field below, with rosters filled in as far as I've read or been told. I'll edit any corrections/changes into this post if they are pointed out to me.

Berkeley (Jeff Hoppes, Kenny Easwaran, Ray Luo, Jerry Vinokurov)
Brandeis (D2) (Dan Passner, Evan Nagler, ?)
Caltech A (D2?, UG?)
Caltech B (D2?, UG?)
Chicago A (Subash Maddipoti, Seth Teitler, Susan Ferrari, Selene Koo)
Chicago B
Chicago C (either B or C D2?)
Harvard (Dan Suzman, Frank Kelly, ?)
Illinois (Sudheer Potru, Mike Sorice, Dom Ricci, Kelly Tourdot)
Kentucky (Seth Kendall, Gerald, Chad Money, Ryan)
Michigan A (Zeke Berdichevsky, Adam Kemezis, Matt Lafer, Leo "50 Cent" Wolpert)
Michigan B
Princeton (Chris Frankel, Jordan Boyd-Graber, Dan Benediktson, Phillip Levitz)
Rutgers
Texas (Eric Kwartler, Matt Nance, Nitin Udpa, Justin Hillburn)
Texas A&M (Chris Romero, Candy Benefiel, Susan Mitchell, Trey Morris)
UIC
Vanderbilt
VCU (Matt Weiner)
Virginia (undergrad)

Here are my top 10 predictions given what I know about the field, if any significant changes come up, I may edit these to account for them, too.

1. Michigan A
2. Chicago A
3. Berkeley
4. Illinois
5. VCU
6. Texas A&M
7. Princeton
8. Harvard
9. Kentucky
10. Virginia (assuming a full strength team)
Last edited by Chris Frankel on Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Selene and Susan are playing on Chicago A.

-Seth
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Is Michigan B not D2? I'm surprised. Will Turner and Co. would probably run away with the D2 title rather easily.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
ezubaric
Rikku

For the sake of completeness ...

Post by ezubaric »

As far as I know, both Caltech teams will be D2 (unless Eric Margelefsky went to nationals while at Cornell, which a Googling doesn't support), and one team will be UG. According to Parag's last e-mail, the people going are:

Parag
Eric
Irene
Grace
Ilya
Jim
Cecilia
Xiao
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
wturner
Lulu

Post by wturner »

I'm not going to ACF nationals. If Michigan B exists, Ryan Westbrook will be on it, so it won't be D2.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Mich. B is currently me and a couple of other guys. Technically, we are D2, since I don't believe any of us have ever been to ACF Nationals.
vsirin
Lulu

Post by vsirin »

Where's all the predictions? Here's my completely ignorant picks for the top ten:

1. Chicago A -- they just keep winning
2. Michigan A -- always a bridesmaid, never a bride, except I guess for all those times when they were the bride
3. Texas A & M -- Romero means "just win, bitch" in Bantu -- google it yourself, you'll see I'm right
4. Illinois -- watch Sudheer have another buttload of powers as they gun for the undergrad title. Oh wait, there aren't any powers? And there's no undergrad title? Then watch him do 15 as Illinois squeaks by everyone else and gets stomped by the top two
5. Berkeley -- no Teitler = no title
6. Princeton -- watch legendary "drunken master" of quizbowl Chris Frankel astonish the masses with his buzzing and vomiting prowess
7. Rochester -- so much hate, so little bonus knowledge
8. VCU -- just because
9. Harvard -- until the northeast circuit holds the Hartford Convention of quizbowl and secedes, they'll just have to keep losing at real tournaments
10. Michigan B -- 'cause style counts
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

If the Illinois basketball team is playing in the Final Four, at least one member of the Illinois quiz bowl team will likely be in St. Louis instead of Evanston. That would drop Illinois into the second five.
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

Dan Greenstein wrote:If the Illinois basketball team is playing in the Final Four, at least one member of the Illinois quiz bowl team will likely be in St. Louis instead of Evanston. That would drop Illinois into the second five.
What? There's basketball going on? I never would have guessed! It's awful lonely here underneath my rock on Mars.

Edit: just so that there's actual qb content instead of sarcasm, I've heard that Illinois' chances of going to ACF nats are tenuous at best, Final Four or not.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

vsirin wrote:Where's all the predictions? Here's my completely ignorant picks for the top ten:

5. Berkeley -- no Teitler = no title
I won't be so presumptuous as to nominate my team for the title, nor will I deny the importance of Seth to our team last year. I would, however, like to point out that 3 of the 4 people on last year's second place team will be returning this year, and that Seth will be replaced by the little-known but quite formidable Ray Luo, who brings a ton of knowledge to the team and who overlaps with the rest of us far less than Seth did. In a sense, I think our team may actually be stronger this year than last year; in any case, I hope to finish higher than 5th.

Jerry
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

So given the outcome of Saturday's *vomit* NCAA Basketball games (just a little preview of my "prowess"), can Sorice or another team member offer an update on the status of the Illinois team?
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Due to Illinois' incredible comeback victory last night against Arizona, Mike Sorice will be in St. Louis for the Final Four on the day of ACF Nationals. Since he won't be in Evanston, the rest of us won't be either, as Dom and I have agreed that playing ACF Nationals without our best ACF Nationals player is essentially a waste of time because I've never been anything but terrible on ACF questions above the Regionals level anyway. Well, that's not the only reason...there are a few others, but I won't bore you with them here.

So, in short, Illinois won't be playing at ACF Nats. Therefore, you should leave us out of any further predictions you might make. Hope the tournament goes well.

--Sudheer
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Prediction for top five: Chicago A, Michigan, Berkeley, Rochester, and TAMU in that order.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org