PADAWAN, Matt's Categories

Old college threads.
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

PADAWAN, Matt's Categories

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Discuss the history and religion here. My major goal in editing this set was to control difficulty without sacrificing interesting content. I'm happy with the way most of the questions turned out, especially in the religion, where Emma Laslett of Oxford submitted quality tossups.

I also wanted to provide some thanks to the veterans who helped out. Will Alston wrote almost all the bonuses for my categories and did an admirable job of keeping them consistent. Mike Cheyne, Carsten Gehring, Evan Adams, Sam Bailey, George Berry, Daniel Hothem, and Auroni Gupta really came through when I needed help - they produced a lot of really solid questions on answers I thought would be tricky to pull off. This was an especially difficult project for me to complete, and their assistance was invaluable.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: PADAWAN, Matt's Categories

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

As Matt said, I tried my best to keep difficulty consistent across categories and bonuses, and I think I did a decent job of doing so. I'd love feedback on the questions I wrote in Matt's categories, which consisted of the following:

-All European history bonuses (including the Ancient Near East bonus on Ashurbanipal)
-The world history bonuses on Deng Xiaoping, the Ming dynasty, 20th century Iran, Kenya, and Siam
-The American history bonuses on nullification, Grenada, Louisiana, the EPA, and the Philippines
-The religion bonuses on Aaron, the Throne Verse, Turkey, jihad, Latin America, Anglicans, Lumen Gentium, Guanyin, the Bhagavad Gita, and African-based religions

I tried to take a holistic approach ala Westbrook from this past year's nationals and have a good mix of questions on practice, theology/philosophy, and history/geography in the religion distribution. For history, I basically took Matt's tack and tried to keep a consistent difficulty while asking about interesting things ("lusotropicalism" was one of my favorite bonus parts) rather than unimportant incidents, quotes, and random retainers.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: I tried to take a holistic approach ala Westbrook from this past year's nationals and have a good mix of questions on practice, theology/philosophy, and history/geography in the religion distribution. For history, I basically took Matt's tack and tried to keep a consistent difficulty while asking about interesting things ("lusotropicalism" was one of my favorite bonus parts) rather than unimportant incidents, quotes, and random retainers.
Will, sorry if it seems like I'm piling on you here, but the lusotropicalism part was impossible. I'm not questioning its historical importance or that it is interesting, but, come on, that's something that's (probably) never come up before! In my opinion, at best it should be used as part of a bonus part on Salazar or a part on Freyre. Thinking that parts like "lusotropicalism" are OK third parts was certainly one of the problems of the set.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Auron

That was harder than ideal, but I decided it was enough of a recent point of discussion to be OK. The term was used a bit in the sports media this summer during discussions of the World Cup, exploitation of labor to build the stadiums, Brazilian culture in general, et cetera. For what it's worth, it's also come up before as a clue.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The Jesuits, Shanghai, Turks, and Akkadian Empire tossups were mine.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I don't think you're picking on me at all, Dan. Here was my reasoning: Every time I've read about Portuguese colonial policy (a book on African military history that talked a lot about Angola and the Zambezi valley, a couple Wikipedia articles, and a book on Latin American independence movements) the idea of "lusotropicalism" has been mentioned, so it seemed to me that other people with some moderately in-depth knowledge of the subject could pull. Now, from what I understand, the proper way to expand the quizbowl canon is to introduce new things as hard parts and early tossup clues, which is exactly what I did here.

EDIT: Using Freyre as a third part might be more advisable, though he's a bit guessable if you're talking about Lusophone social science (though that's already a pretty off-the-beaten-path subject for quizbowl anyways). I agree with Matt's reasoning, though, and will defend the bonus part, though it shaded a bit tougher than others.

My primary concern while writing the set was to make sure that medium and easy parts were consistent and could be gotten easily by people with solid knowledge of the subject, as long as they didn't screw up. If Dan Puma or Eric Mukherjee were frequently getting 10 points on 20th-century history they knew things about, then I would consider myself to have failed at this task; I hope this wasn't the case.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I wrote 10 world history bonuses for this. Presumably this represents most off the WH bonuses. Let me know how they went.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Is there a reason why I had to say "verse" in the Throne Verse question when it had literally said verse in the question? Seems like rather overzealous underlining to me.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Madagascar Serpent Eagle wrote:Is there a reason why I had to say "verse" in the Throne Verse question when it had literally said verse in the question? Seems like rather overzealous underlining to me.
No, it's just something I didn't catch.

Correction: it didn't say verse in the question; it said ayat. So the underlining is sort of fine (and the ayat in ayat ul-kursi is not underlined). The previous part said that verses in the Qur'an are called ayat, so it probably shouldn't have been underlined, but it's not a big thing.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I tried to be generous with my underlining, since I've definitely been frustrated with these things before, so I'm sorry I messed that bit up.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

Paraphrased from my post in the Geography and Current Events thread wrote:I feel like having Eli Whitney as the lead-in for the Savannah tossup is way too early.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I wrote the Savannah tossup and was unaware of the relative fame of the Whitney thing. Sorry.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:Will, sorry if it seems like I'm piling on you here, but the lusotropicalism part was impossible. I'm not questioning its historical importance or that it is interesting, but, come on, that's something that's (probably) never come up before!
ACF Nationals 2010, but point stands.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
noobynoob
Lulu

Post by noobynoob »

Can I see the tossup on Islam?
I remember the other team in my room at the time heard Chinvat bridge and negged it with Zoroastrianism, which apparently led to a failed protest.
Harrison Wang
Hinsdale Central '17
Cody

Post by Cody »

noobynoob wrote:Can I see the tossup on Islam?
I remember the other team in my room at the time heard Chinvat bridge and negged it with Zoroastrianism, which apparently led to a failed protest.
This religion's hell contains a tree that grows bitter fruit in the shape of monstrous heads. According to this religion, souls reach heaven by crossing a non-Chinvat bridge that cuts them in proportion to their sins. Between death and resurrection, souls in this religion reside in an antechamber called "limit" or "barrier" where they are questioned by two angels. This religion's seven-tiered heaven, the (*) "garden," was visited on the miraj. After this religion's Day of Judgment, souls will go to a fiery hell, Jahannam, or the houri-filled paradise, Jannah. For 10 points, name this religion that supposedly promises believers seventy-two virgins in heaven.
A: \bu{Islam} [or Sunni \bu{Islam}; or Shi'a \bu{Islam}; or obvious equivalents]
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Can I see the tossup on Chartists (I want to see where power ended) and the bonus on the Philippines?
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cape Fear wrote:Can I see the tossup on Chartists (I want to see where power ended) and the bonus on the Philippines?
An all-woman group devoted to this cause included Susanna Inge and Mary Ann Walker. Meetings held by members of this group led to the Bull Ring Riots, and a large meeting for this group took place on Kersal Moor. A number of supporters of this movement were killed during an action organized to free Henry Vincent. A defeat for this group led to riots and the Plug Plot, after a petition introduced by Thomas Duncombe was rejected despite having over (*) 3 million signatures. Its "physical force" wing included John Frost, who led the failed Newport Rising. Feargus O'Connor and William Lovett were two of its leaders, and it started with six demands, including universal male suffrage. For 10 points, name this working-class reform movement in Britain that was named after a document created in 1838.
A: \bu{Chartism} [or \bu{Chartist}s]}

This man was an early articulator of the importance of the "option for the poor" in modern Catholic social doctrine. For 10 points each:
Name this Dominican priest, who began a major Third-Way Christian movement for social justice with his book, \i{A Theology of Liberation}.
A: Gustavo \bu{Gutiérrez} [or Gustavo \bu{Gutiérrez} Merino]
Gutiérrez is from this country, where Catholicism displaced indigenous religions that worshipped the sun god Inti. The first American woman to be canonized, Saint Rose of Lima, was from what is now this country.
A: Republic of \bu{Peru}
Saint Rose is also considered one of the co-patron saints of this country. This country is predominantly Muslim in much of its south, which has prompted sectarian conflict with the \i{moros}.
A: Republic of the \bu{Philippines}
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Also, would the tossup on "Chicago Seven" have accepted "Chicago Eight"? That's what I would have buzzed in with, but my team was already neg-locked.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cape Fear wrote:Also, would the tossup on "Chicago Seven" have accepted "Chicago Eight"? That's what I would have buzzed in with, but my team was already neg-locked.
Yes.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Could I please see the karma tossup?
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

I felt like the nullification bonus was too easy, but having taken three semesters of APUSH in high school opposed to the standard two i'm unsure if I'm correct in my judgement.

I have a question regarding a protest at the Chicago site. In our game against Minnesota B they buzzed in on the play toss up around the Thespian clue and said acting. They were ruled incorrect but a protest was marked down. This was a game deciding protest but my teammates thought we were fine as the toss up labeled the answer as "one of these events", but the protest ended up going in their favor. I don't want to argue the decision(and in fact fully accept it) I'm just interested in the mentality behind it.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Not to start a basketball mafia, but I'm pretty sure the Paul Pierce bonus said he yelled after his block in game 7. While he presumably yelled something, he said the quote it was talking about after hitting the dagger shot in game 1.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Walnut Hills High School '11
Auron

Madagascar Serpent Eagle wrote:Not to start a basketball mafia, but I'm pretty sure the Paul Pierce bonus said he yelled after his block in game 7. While he presumably yelled something, he said the quote it was talking about after hitting the dagger shot in game 1.
Here's the question:
This outburst was caught on mic after its speaker hit a fadeaway 2-pointer over Patrick Patterson to put his team up 7 with a minute to go. For 10 points each:
[10] Give this enthusiastic six-word sentence that Paul Pierce shouted at the end of Game 7 in the 2014 Nets-Raptors series.
I didn't say it was the block, but I messed up which game it happened in.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15