Sin

ICCS: Discussion of Specific Questions

Post by AKKOLADE »

Discuss specific questions here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
samus149
Wakka

Re: ICCS: Discussion of Specific Questions

Post by samus149 »

I don't have the set right in front of me, but what I do remember is that some of the chemistry got pretty hard and sometimes borderline unanswerable (like those tossups on the partition function and Clausius-Clapeyron equation). I also don't remember a lot of tossups on elements and compounds, which would definitely be more convertible.
Sean M.
HTHS '14
Cornell University '18
UCSB '23

The opinions presented in this user's posts have not been approved by HTHS Quizbowl Team. Viewer discretion is advised. - Patrick LeBlanc, Captain
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

Corner Grocery Store wrote:I don't have the set right in front of me, but what I do remember is that some of the chemistry got pretty hard and sometimes borderline unanswerable (like those tossups on the partition function and Clausius-Clapeyron equation). I also don't remember a lot of tossups on elements and compounds, which would definitely be more convertible.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions- we will work on this to make some of the science more answerable. Please let us know if you have any other thoughts / recommendations.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I don't have the set with me, so I'm not sure in which round, but there is a toss-up on Sartre in which we are told he wrote a book called "Critique of Practical Reason," which got negs in 5-6 rooms at Gateway in Lake City, FL. Of course, the prior clue ruled out Kant, though maybe not for most novices. Presumably the writer meant "Critique of Dialectical Reason."
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Oh, I think I made that mistake - my bad, I definitely meant Critique of Dialectical Reason. I'm surprised this wasn't caught earlier!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I don't have the set with me, so I'm not sure in which round, but there is a toss-up on Sartre in which we are told he wrote a book called "Critique of Practical Reason," which got negs in 5-6 rooms at Gateway in Lake City, FL. Of course, the prior clue ruled out Kant, though maybe not for most novices. Presumably the writer meant "Critique of Dialectical Reason."
Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. It will be fixed for this weekend's mirror. Please let me know of any other errors or comments about the set that you have.
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Might or might not matter:
- On R4 TU18 (Sartre), maybe just add "it's not Kant." People will all still buzz with Kant.
- On R5 TU15 (Nile), players said they heard "Khartoum" early and didn't buzz because they weren't sure if it was Blue Nile or White Nile.
- On R8 TU18 (Marlowe), maybe "it's not Goethe," since roughly the same summary of Faust is in the Goethe tossup.
- On R9 TU10 (shooting planes), the "9/11 conspiracy theories" clue mostly points to "friendly fire."
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

bmcke wrote:- On R9 TU10 (shooting planes), the "9/11 conspiracy theories" clue mostly points to "friendly fire."
Unless the editors reworded this clue significantly, that clue doesn't seem to point to "friendly fire" at all. The wackobirds believe that fighter jets shot down Flight 93 on purpose, and friendly fire is by definition an accident.
Nicholas C
KQBA member