2014-15 Schedule Discussion

Old college threads.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

2014-15 Schedule Discussion

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I'm working on some scheduling for high school tournaments right now, so I figured it wouldn't be an awful idea to kick things off in the college section again this year. I don't really want to maintain a calendar, but if somebody else wants to go right ahead. I do have one (just one!) point that I'd like to make about scheduling reform at the beginning of this year's discussion:

I think we've reached the point that it might be a good idea for not only a national discussion on when sets are going to be mirrored, but regional discussions to take place on who is hosting what and on exactly which day. I'm tired of the Southeast flailing around through email and Facebook conversations and then ending up with hastily announced mirrors of regular difficulty tournaments just a few weeks before they are supposed to happen. I don't know if the other regions struggle along the same lines, but I do think most everybody in college quizbowl has an understanding that doing these things more collectively works much better than the alternative.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2014-15 Schedule Discussion

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

NickConderWKU wrote:I don't really want to maintain a calendar, but if somebody else wants to go right ahead.
I can maintain the calendar. I'll put up a blank one in a second.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Here's a listing of events that I've heard something about happening. I'll update this list as the summer goes on.

Fall 2014 Semester Events:
ICSS [easy] (September 13-October 25)
Penn Bowl [regular house-write] (October 18 & 25)
ACF Fall [easy packet-sub] (November 8th)
Dela Burke [easy] (November 14-15)
PADAWAN [regular] (October 4th & 11th)
DEES [regular packet-sub] (November 22nd)

Spring 2015 Semester Events:
Oxford Open (Early-to-mid January)
ACF Regionals [regular packet-sub] (January 24th)
NAQT SCT [regular DI/easy DII] (February 7th)
George Oppen [Nationals-minus] (February 21st)
STIMPY [regular packet-sub] (March 7th and 14th)
MUT [easyish] (March 14th-May)
NAQT ICT (March 28th)
ACF Nationals [packet-sub] (April 18th-19th)
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:09 am, edited 17 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Could we get the ball rolling here? HS date claim time is upon and past us, and VCU would certainly appreciate not having to miss college tournaments because we've scheduled a HS tournament.

What other tournaments are people planning? Esp. for the Fall.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not sure what's up with MUT this coming year; I'm busy with other projects, such as College History Bowl.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I will once again inquire into the existence of a regular-minus event in the fall; if it's not happening, I would encourage someone to pick up the effort.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

If anyone here cares, I'm calling November 14-15 weekend for Delta Burke (assuming that's the weekend after ACF Fall, as usual).
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

If I can get the NAQT-style event off the ground, I would like to run it two weeks after ACF Fall, i.e. when DRAGOON ran last year.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

christino wrote:I will once again inquire into the existence of a regular-minus event in the fall; if it's not happening, I would encourage someone to pick up the effort.
Be the change you wish to see in others
Morgan Venkus
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

SCT is Saturday, February 7th.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

A change from previous years, since it could affect spring scheduling: ACF Regionals will be hosted on Saturday, January 24 (two weeks before SCT, rather than after). More details to come.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Will there be anything in the fall other than ACF Fall that will require packet submission?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Here's a listing of events that I've heard something about happening. I'll update this list as the summer goes on.

Fall 2014 Semester Events:

ACF Fall [easy packet-sub]
ACF Fall will be happening the weekend of the 8th of Nov.

Thanks!

-Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Gautam wrote: ACF Fall will be happening the weekend of the 8th of Nov.

Thanks!

-Gautam
Thanks, Gautam!

On a scheduling note: Is there going to be a regionals-minus tournament this year (a la Michigan Fall last year or EFT in the past)? And I believe Will wanted the DRAGOON slot for the NAQT-style tournament (assuming it comes together)?
Jacob O'Rourke

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

My assessment of the fall is this:

Dates
September (Collegiate Novice)
Early October (?)
Late October (Penn Bowl)
Early November (ACF Fall)
Late November (maybe NAQT-style)
Early December (?)

PADAWAN hasn't been scheduled yet, and there's the potential of a regular-minus event if someone decides to write another one. For spring there's a prime spot for a regular difficulty event in late February, and a spot for something in March. Is there going to be another open pre-nats tournament this year?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

It's looking unlikely that my tournament will come together this year. I'd prefer the November slot go to PADAWAN, since I want tournaments that I can't play to be run while I'm not in the country.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

So, with PADAWAN and George Oppen, we're now missing 1 EFT-style, 1 Regular difficulty, and 1 MUT-style tournament from the schedule (compared to last year—and not counting Arrabal). I haven't heard anybody mention anything at all about anything easier than regular difficulty aside from Collegiate Novice and Fall, so if people are planning anything, it would be cool if they could post something.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I'll wait a week to see if a regular-minus event materializes. If it doesn't, I would like to claim the early October slot (the one in between Collegiate Novice and Penn Bowl) for PADAWAN. If one materializes, I'll take the late November slot instead.

It is worth mentioning that tournament line-ups vary from year to year, and there's nothing wrong with that. There were regular-plus tournaments in the autumn and winter of 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and 2012-2013 seasons, and there weren't this past year. Penn Bowl used to be second semester, and now it's first. There hadn't been an EFT-style event since 2010, until MFT this year. It looks like this year, we're going to have an open tournament in late February instead of late November. Things change. I think that so long as most events are at regular difficulty, and the scheduled isn't glutted with hard opens, we're in fine shape.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:There hadn't been an EFT-style event since 2010, until MFT this year. It looks like this year, we're going to have an open tournament in late February instead of late November. Things change. I think that so long as most events are at regular difficulty, and the scheduled isn't glutted with hard opens, we're in fine shape.
EFT ran from 2006-2010 (5 years). IFT ran in 2012, MFT in 2013. 7 of the past 8 years have had a reg- difficulty tournament in the Fall to play.

I think a reg- tournament is a very good thing to get people hooked on quizbowl - not everyone is capable of doing anything at regular difficulty when they are just starting out. Having a reg- tournament says - "look! here's a bunch of stuff that you've heard of. quizbowl is great!" and provides a hook for newer players and more experienced HS players alike. It also helps keep the peripheral members of your club - who don't attend all the tournaments but are vital for running events and existing - involved.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Cody wrote:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote:There hadn't been an EFT-style event since 2010, until MFT this year. It looks like this year, we're going to have an open tournament in late February instead of late November. Things change. I think that so long as most events are at regular difficulty, and the scheduled isn't glutted with hard opens, we're in fine shape.
EFT ran from 2006-2010 (5 years). IFT ran in 2012, MFT in 2013. 7 of the past 8 years have had a reg- difficulty tournament in the Fall to play.

I think a reg- tournament is a very good thing to get people hooked on quizbowl - not everyone is capable of doing anything at regular difficulty when they are just starting out. Having a reg- tournament says - "look! here's a bunch of stuff that you've heard of. quizbowl is great!" and provides a hook for newer players and more experienced HS players alike. It also helps keep the peripheral members of your club - who don't attend all the tournaments but are vital for running events and existing - involved.
That was the count I had; and I suspect that a late-season easier tournament like MUT does even more.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

vinteuil wrote:
Cody wrote:

That was the count I had; and I suspect that a late-season easier tournament like MUT does even more.
My bad there for forgetting about IFT. I agree that an October regular-minus tournament and MUT are both desirable things to have: the former increases the chances that teams retain members after Collegiate Novice and through till ACF Fall, and the latter stops people uninterested in national tournaments from considering ACF Regionals the end of their quizbowl season, and henceforth totally disappearing from practices. I agree with Jacob that MUT's function strikes me as slightly more important, but I would be pleased to see both of these institutions continue. This is why I'm pausing to give notice, before outright claiming the highly desirable early-October spot for PADAWAN. So, if some team of writers is planning on creating this regular-minus tournament, they should come out of the woodwork very soon, and announce this, and I'll cede that to them in support of the interests mentioned above. If not, though, I have a tournament that's schedule to be finished by early September, and which is a logical candidate for that spot.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I think it would be good for quizbowl to have a regular or "regular minus" tournament as early as possible. PADAWAN in early October would mostly fit the bill, but I think we should start the season in September. The vast majority of colleges are in session by the second week of September if not earlier, and I've never understood why we basically wait six weeks to start having real tournaments in the small window before Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was under the impression that addressing the long gaps on the calendar without any tournament that people who are neither novices nor hunkers after hard questions can play was one of the major goals of the original schedule reform project.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

MUT may well be returning this year. I'll be talking to the Minnesota team and alumni about it and will post more when I know more.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

UMD and Yale are collaborating on a regular difficulty packet submission tournament titled SUMMIT(or something equally dumb). It will be run on the second weekend of March.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the head editor will be Christopher Klaus Manners.
Last edited by Gonzagapuma1 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:UMD and Yale are collaborating on a regular difficulty packet submission tournament titled SUMMIT(or something equally dumb). It will be run on the second weekend of March.
Crap, that's usually when our exams are. Hopefully there is a mirror in the Northeast somewhat earlier.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
Gonzagapuma1 wrote:UMD and Yale are collaborating on a regular difficulty packet submission tournament titled SUMMIT(or something equally dumb). It will be run on the second weekend of March.
Crap, that's usually when our exams are. Hopefully there is a mirror in the Northeast somewhat earlier.
None of the details of this except the difficulty, as far as I am aware, are set in stone, including date, name, packet-submission-ness and head editor, so we could very much be flexible about this, I think.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

vinteuil wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
None of the details of this except the difficulty, as far as I am aware, are set in stone, including date, name, packet-submission-ness and head editor, so we could very much be flexible about this, I think.
That is true.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Since no one else has stepped forward proposing a regular-minus event for early October, I will now claim it for PADAWAN. Our team of mentors, trainees, freelance writers, etc. is fully set, and questions are already being written. So, expect to see a tournament announcement for that sometime soon.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Are you slotting PADAWAN as a closed tournament, then?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

If PADAWAN is early October, is there nothing regular difficulty between Penn Bowl and ACF Regionals?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Since I've committed to write for PADAWAN and Penn Bowl, I don't think it is wise for me to run the NAQT-style event this year, especially since I haven't found any collaborators. I will consider running it in the future.

I would like to see a regular-difficulty event manifest, if only so I can play it online from Peru.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Cheynem wrote:Are you slotting PADAWAN as a closed tournament, then?
Yes.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Since there are at least 5 regular difficulty or harder tournaments currently planned for the 3 month core of the quizbowl calendar (ACF Regionals through ACF Nationals), how do Maryland and Yale feel about moving their tournament up to the spot that DRAGOON held last year? I don't expect there are too many people who will be biting their nails over whether to play Delta Burke or SUMMIT/whatever on November 15 - the overlap in interested players would be minimal. Otherwise you have only 1 tournament in the fall for the D1 ICT tier of teams (not counting PADAWAN and MUT, which people obviously can and will choose to play, but which will be easier). Plus that puts over two months of separation between the packet-sub tournaments (again, not counting ACF Fall, which has a different target audience).
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote:Otherwise you have only 1 tournament in the fall for the D1 ICT tier of teams (not counting PADAWAN and MUT, which people obviously can and will choose to play, but which will be easier).
I believe that PADAWAN is supposed to be regular difficulty, and MUT is in the spring if at all.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

vinteuil wrote:
Galadedrid Damodred wrote:Otherwise you have only 1 tournament in the fall for the D1 ICT tier of teams (not counting PADAWAN and MUT, which people obviously can and will choose to play, but which will be easier).
I believe that PADAWAN is supposed to be regular difficulty, and MUT is in the spring if at all.
Sorry, I interpreted John's post to mean that PADAWAN is directly replacing MFT from last year, difficulty and all, which makes no sense now that I think about it because the editors already said it was regular difficulty. And I have no idea why I threw MUT in there - this is what happens when I post before eating breakfast. I do maintain that given the rest of the calendar, Maryland and Yale will get the most participation for their tournament if it is held in November.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Calendar

September
6-Collegiate Novice availability begins
October
4-PADAWAN
11-Collegiate Novice availability ends; PADAWAN
18-Penn Bowl weekend 1
25-Penn Bowl weekend 2
November
8-ACF Fall
December
January
24-ACF Regionals
February
7-NAQT SCT
21-George Oppen
March
28-NAQT ICT (Atlanta Hilton)
April
11-
18-19-ACF Nationals at the University of Michigan
May
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob O'Rourke

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Not that I'm necessarily going to write such a tournament, but given the at least mixed success of Skype tournaments in the past year, there might be room in the schedule now for some event in December or early January, particularly an open event.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Mike Bentley wrote:Not that I'm necessarily going to write such a tournament, but given the at least mixed success of Skype tournaments in the past year, there might be room in the schedule now for some event in December or early January, particularly an open event.
Oxford is writing Oxford Open again for use at our annual open tournament. This happens closer to late Jan/early February and has a slightly different distribution (i.e. Briticised), though if people would like to collaborate to enable us a (a) to finish the set earlier and (b) produce a mutually intelligible set across the Atlantic, then in theory this could be used for that.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Is PADAWAN getting moved at all now that ICCS is A Thing? Quarter system schools like us already have a very busy early October schedule and don't start until the end of September, and those early October weeks are preferred so we can get the newer players out to their first tournament as early as possible.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Goole by-election, 1971 wrote:Is PADAWAN getting moved at all now that ICCS is A Thing? Quarter system schools like us already have a very busy early October schedule and don't start until the end of September, and those early October weeks are preferred so we can get the newer players out to their first tournament as early as possible.
Are there a huge amount of quizbowl teams unable to attend tournaments because of their schedules, or is this a hypothetical problem that doesn't actually exist? We have this discussion every year, and every year there are tournaments in early October.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Goole by-election, 1971 wrote:Is PADAWAN getting moved at all now that ICCS is A Thing? Quarter system schools like us already have a very busy early October schedule and don't start until the end of September, and those early October weeks are preferred so we can get the newer players out to their first tournament as early as possible.
The reason the scheduling reform thread was instituted in the first place was the make sure that the spacing between tournaments is good (i.e. that tournaments need not run on consecutive weeks in any region). If PADAWAN were to move forward, every single other fall tournament in the Midwest would have to do the same, and I'm not going to ask them to do that. We were originally scheduled to be our region's host for Collegiate Novice on the 11th. I gave that slot to PADAWAN when Novice was cancelled. However, Chicago has rooms booked for both the 4th and the 11th, just in case.So, the two options I'm considering are:

(1) Running ICCS on the 4th and PADAWAN on the 11th. I really don't like the idea of tournaments on consecutive weeks. However, the overlap between the fields of the two tournaments might be so small as to make this unproblematic (provided that we have enough staff).
(2) Just running PADAWAN on the 11th

We'll see which of these happens.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

NickConderWKU wrote:
Are there a huge amount of quizbowl teams unable to attend tournaments because of their schedules, or is this a hypothetical problem that doesn't actually exist? We have this discussion every year, and every year there are tournaments in early October.
I don't know of [m]any besides UChicago and Northwestern, who have managed to figure this out for years (usually by running a late EACN mirror one week before the first other fall thing, as John is proposing). At any rate, upending the basic schedule across the nation to accommodate those two schools seems ridiculous.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We usually don't have a problem, though our quarter starts in mid-September and runs through Thanksgiving.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
The reason the scheduling reform thread was instituted in the first place was the make sure that the spacing between tournaments is good (i.e. that tournaments need not run on consecutive weeks in any region). If PADAWAN were to move forward, every single other fall tournament in the Midwest would have to do the same, and I'm not going to ask them to do that. We were originally scheduled to be our region's host for Collegiate Novice on the 11th. I gave that slot to PADAWAN when Novice was cancelled. However, Chicago has rooms booked for both the 4th and the 11th, just in case.So, the two options I'm considering are:

(1) Running ICCS on the 4th and PADAWAN on the 11th. I really don't like the idea of tournaments on consecutive weeks. However, the overlap between the fields of the two tournaments might be so small as to make this unproblematic (provided that we have enough staff).
(2) Just running PADAWAN on the 11th

We'll see which of these happens.
My primary worry was getting both PADAWAN, ICCS, and Northwestern's high school novice tournament able to happen for us without any conflicts, but assuming we get sufficient staff, I don't see why we can't send our newer players to ICCS at UChicago and host Wake-Up Call on the same day. If I decide on another date, we would also be interested in potentially hosting ICCS so you guys don't need to host two weeks in a row. Our first day of classes is the 23rd, for what it's worth.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

So at this point, is there truly nobody interested in filling a tournament spot for the fall semester after ACF Fall (i.e. other than Delta Burke, which isn't usually mirrored in every circuit)? Do returning teams find this situation bothersome or disappointing? Looking around, I just see Mike Cheyne as interested in possibly helping such an event coalesce -- if others want to put something together, you're probably nearing "speak now or forever hold your peace" territory. I may or may not have a crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrazy idea for helping put something together for late November as a last resort if nothing else emerges, but I will be very pressed for time this fall with existing commitments and would prefer not to have to act on said idea if someone else has a hidden plan in the works or there's no demand for a regular-minus or third-regular event.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

Matthew Jackson wrote:if ... there's no demand for a regular-minus or third-regular event.
That's not the case. I encourage interested parties to write a third regular-ish tournament for the fall semester. Right now there are only two tournaments for everyone to play, while the spring has at least six.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

OK since Saajid made that post, I guess I'll mention now that I'm seriously considering deciding to get back in the college writing/editing game and doing a packet-sub tournament in mid-November, since I've never actually done one before and I'm a much more organized/fast/productive writer than I have been in the past. However, I'm also a wee bit strapped for time and cash, and am incapable of editing science. Therefore, this would only be something I could do if I could get a guarantee of five mirrors being run in major circuits, and at least 10 packets that are mediocre to decent being submitted. I have gone ahead and messaged a potential science editor but if that doesn't pan out, I will accept any other takers for the positions with any kind of respectable track record. If you are a school that wants to host a quizbowl tournament, let me know here or via my email, [email protected]. I will also email some teams specifically about making sure they would write and attend. I should known in a week or two whether or not this will materialize, so stay tuned.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Also, I'm looking a little closer at the schedule, and I see the following date options:

A tournament for the window of Nov. 15th/Nov. 22nd (overlaps with Delta Burke)
A tournament for the weekend of Dec. 6th (concerns about running up against finals, but gives me far more time to edit over Thanksgiving break)
A tournament for the weekends of Nov 22nd then Dec. 6th (no DB overlap, allows more flexible attendance, gives me a lot of revision time if needed)

I'm strongly leaning towards the last one since it still gives me an extra week to work and allows for a very end of the semester tournament, but which one do people think is best?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:Also, I'm looking a little closer at the schedule, and I see the following date options:

A tournament for the window of Nov. 15th/Nov. 22nd (overlaps with Delta Burke)
A tournament for the weekend of Dec. 6th (concerns about running up against finals, but gives me far more time to edit over Thanksgiving break)
A tournament for the weekends of Nov 22nd then Dec. 6th (no DB overlap, allows more flexible attendance, gives me a lot of revision time if needed)

I'm strongly leaning towards the last one since it still gives me an extra week to work and allows for a very end of the semester tournament, but which one do people think is best?
The general consensus since 2010 or so has been that December is usually an unworkable time to get 5+ major circuits mirroring a tournament, due to the common presence or impending threat of final exams at most schools. DB overlap isn't much of an issue for most circuits, and the ones for which it is an issue could probably figure that out on their own. If I were playing next year, I'd like option 1 the best, followed by option 3.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I appreciate you looking out for Delta Burke overlap, Charlie, but I won't be offended if the earlier November dates work better for you. DB is certainly regular-minus, and the last couple years we haven't had too many mirrors in the usual QB hubs during the mid-November window. Last year most mirrors were actually in the spring. Whatever works.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah