HSNCT Saturday Night Sideshow: Modern World Tournament

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

HSNCT Saturday Night Sideshow: Modern World Tournament

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello all,
I am going to be your beloved scamp of a tournament director for the Saturday night HSNCT mirror of the Dartmouth team's WIDELY ANTICIPATED Modern World Tournament. Everybody and their mom is staffing the HSNCT, so what better chance to get your face pummelled in at a novelty tournament by the best players in the game??? For real though, play it, you'll like it. The info on the set can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15099

The tournament is being held in the Hyatt Regency O'Hare Hotel. The address is:
9300 Bryn Mawr Ave, Rosemont, IL 60018

The HSNCT Saturday rounds are scheduled to end at 6:45, so I will begin registration for this tournament at 8 PM so people can get dinner in beforehand. Registration will take place in a gameroom TBD (i.e. NOT blocking people who want to turn right off the escalators in the lobby because a huge crowd is just sort of standing there doing nothing like so many side tournaments at this hotel do.)

Teams will be 4-players for this tournament. The entry fee will be a flat $5 per person. We should have all our buzzers provided, so there will be no discounts.

I am going to attempt something unusual with the registration for this tournament: Since open tournaments lately have had a bunch of confusion and time wasted from people making posts asking for teammates, people filling out partial teams on google docs, people putting fake naems in said docs, etc. It's all a huge mess, so I will not be doing any of that. Instead, here's how things are going down:

If you are a PERSON who wants to play this tournament, email me at [email protected] to register. ALL that I need to know is whether or not you as an individual person want to play. I am not interested in the teams. I will maintain an up to date list of everybody who emailed me registering in this thread. If, after you register, you want to go through that list, see who else has registered, and form up your own teams with them, go hog wild. When you show up to the tournament, tell me your team, and I will cross all of you off my list. If you want to register and don't form a team, then I will simply glom you onto some other team the day of. I think this will work well for everybody so that there's no pressure to make teams, and no confusion about whether or not you'll be able to play. There will be a 64 person limit so far, but I will expand that if I find more staff. Again, you are NOT REGISTERED unless you yourself email me at [email protected]. If you show up at the tournament and never sent me an email to register and there are no empty spots, then tough titty.

I will be bringing my finely-honed tournament direction A-game, so you all better be there, or else face a pretty boring Saturday night doing something a lot lamer,
-Charlie

P.S. Here is the field:

Adam Escandell
Alston Boyd
Andrew Hart
Andrew Wang
Charles Tian
Dave Madden
Henry Hawthorn
Hidehiro Anto
Jacob O'Rourke
Jason Thompson
Jesse Bennett
Nick Conder
Ramapriya Rangaraju
Sean Phillips
Steven Morrison
Ved Paranjpe

16 registered
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Mon May 05, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Cheynem
Sin

Re: HSNCT Saturday Night Sideshow: Modern World Tournament

Post by Cheynem »

Are we projecting to finish all the rounds of this? Isn't this a somewhat full tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

The tournament will have 13 packets; how many of them are used is up to y'all.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21

Given that this is Saturday night, don't bank on me figuring out a schedule that is more than 10 rounds total, everybody.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Horned Screamer wrote:Given that this is Saturday night, don't bank on me figuring out a schedule that is more than 10 rounds total, everybody.
I'd rather not be playing quizbowl at 2 AM, so this seems like a solid idea.
Nicholas C
KQBA member

Upon further reflection, I'm going to start the tournament closer to 7:15 (time to get yourself a snack if you really need it), run a few rounds, and order in food to be eaten during a half hour break sometime between 9 and 10 PM. This should make us able to get through the night a little faster, but will require you to bring dinner money.

Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

I sent you an email a few weeks ago to register for this, but I didn't see my name on the updated list of players. I just wanted to check to make sure that it came through okay and didn't get stuck in your spam folder or something.

Thanks!
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

Can we make teams on some sort of spreadsheet, preferably on the second tab of the NSC mirror spreadsheet?
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:Can we make teams on some sort of spreadsheet, preferably on the second tab of the NSC mirror spreadsheet?
I think Charlie would rather not have an unofficial spreadsheet where a bunch of vandals declare that he's playing the tournament that he's directing or something.

What I would propose is that if people are interested in matchmaking before the tournament, that you post in the thread with something like "hey I'm playing this tournament and would be happy to join a team that's forming if you email me" or "Aloysius, Gertrude, and myself are playing together and we need another player," or whatever it is you'd like to post along those lines.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

NickConderWKU wrote:
What I would propose is that if people are interested in matchmaking before the tournament, that you post in the thread with something like "hey I'm playing this tournament and would be happy to join a team that's forming if you email me" or "Aloysius, Gertrude, and myself are playing together and we need another player," or whatever it is you'd like to post along those lines.
Let me take this opportunity to say that I am looking for teammates, preferably those who know about Asian and Latin American things.
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Since open tournaments lately have had a bunch of confusion and time wasted from people making posts asking for teammates, people filling out partial teams on google docs, people putting fake naems in said docs, etc. It's all a huge mess, so I will not be doing any of that.
Wasn't the whole point not to do any of this?
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Turner Island wrote:
Since open tournaments lately have had a bunch of confusion and time wasted from people making posts asking for teammates, people filling out partial teams on google docs, people putting fake naems in said docs, etc. It's all a huge mess, so I will not be doing any of that.
Wasn't the whole point not to do any of this?
Well the spreadsheet is a dumb idea, but people coordinating with each other ahead of time is certainly not a terrible idea, as long as they don't bother Charlie and everybody else with it. There are certainly plenty of people who don't care what team they're on, are happy to form a team at the tournament or have Charlie splice them together, or whatever, and I don't think anybody intends to disturb that.

EDIT: I should also point out that, for the sake of efficiency, your best bet may not be posting in a thread where people may not see it. As painful as it may be for people to interact with other human beings, just sending your friend that's signed up or interested in playing a Facebook message or email saying "hey you wanna play this together?" is probably more likely to yield positive results.
Nicholas C
KQBA member

By all means, do what you need to do in whatever back channels to make your preferred teams happen.

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I don't follow news at all, but I'm mildly interested in playing under the assumption that this tournament is secretly like 64/64 Japanese pop culture. Hit me up
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016

Just as a reminder, if there are any more people out there who will be at the HSNCT and would be malleable enough that I could convince them to moderate here, please please please let me know so we can get a full field and have it run nicely.

The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

I'll staff this!
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Crow
Kimahri

Post by Crow »

How long can we expect this tournament to go for? I'm always up for quiz bowl but I've recently discovered sleep and quickly became addicted to its restorative properties. Also, just to be clear, individual players register for this tournament, not full teams right?
andregonawela
Kimahri

Post by andregonawela »

Hey I wanted to register for the tournament and I emailed Charles, but never got a response. Is there supposed to be another way of registering?
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Crow wrote:How long can we expect this tournament to go for?
At NSC, rounds of this tournament, factoring in travel time and the strength of the field, took between 35 and 45 minutes to complete. Questions are pretty long and difficulty is somewhere above regular college difficulty. If you're doing the standard hotel-open format of forming teams and moving between rooms in pretty far-away parts of the hotel, I imagine it won't be possible to complete more than 5 or 6 rounds before midnight. Frankly, it's probably a better idea, if folks still actually want to play this by the time Saturday evening rolls around, to just gather everyone in one or two contiguous rooms and do a shootout only on the tossups for maybe 8-10 packets.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF

I have been without a laptop for a couple weeks now with it being repaired, so rest assured I will be in contact with people this week about running this tournament. I am going to be up front right now that I am very concerned about what is going on at its PACE mirror, and this tournament will probably be heavily altered or condensed and will try to not make it to midnight.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

i understand this tournament expressed views about women
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator

So the word is now that the tournament is going to be canceled because the set ended up being amazingly offensive. This is not just my decision, but I definitely don't think that the questions I'm seeing here have any business being read as an hsnct side event. I will email participants to confirm later tonight. I hope everybody enjoys now having time to go to the city or get a good night of sleep after Saturday's hsnct rounds, and am sorry that I don't have a tournament for you to run in its place, because I was really excited to do some more TDing after a yearlong break.

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

While disappointed that I won't get to play something that I thought might cover quizbowl subjects I enjoy, I am quite glad to not have to sit through a set that would likely make me angry. If people want something fun and organized to do on Saturday evening, I'm hearing we'd be better served by sitting in a dark, silent room for 3 hours than playing this pile of crap.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

NickConderWKU wrote:If people want something fun and organized to do on Saturday evening, I'm hearing we'd be better served by sitting in a dark, silent room for 3 hours than playing this pile of crap.
Thr lifhts were ok in my hotel room and I was listening to podcasts.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:i understand this tournament expressed views about women
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:So the word is now that the tournament is going to be canceled because the set ended up being amazingly offensive. This is not just my decision, but I definitely don't think that the questions I'm seeing here have any business being read as an hsnct side event.
Go on....
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
gustavus.adolphus
Lulu

Post by gustavus.adolphus »

Go on....
A lot of the criticism of this set is on the Post-NSC Mirror thread, particularly the 2nd and 3rd pages.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=15550
Adam Davies
Wichita Collegiate, 2017
University of Cambridge, 2020 (hopefully)