Is there any widely-accepted definition of classical music?

Old college threads.
The Kirk Store Called
Lulu

Is there any widely-accepted definition of classical music?

Post by The Kirk Store Called »

Is there any widely-accepted coherent definition of classical music (for the purposes of quizbowl distributions that delineate classical music, ex: ACF)? It seems to get somewhat dicey and nuanced when it comes to 20th century works in the orchestral tradition. A mixture of google + HSquizbowl forums have not found me any previous discussions on this.
It's Running Out of Jing
Mission San Jose High School '10, Dartmouth College '14
A bad, bad man
vinteuil
Auron

Re: Is there any widely-accepted definition of classical music?

Post by vinteuil »

I think that the short answer to this is that nobody has such a definition—people have been arguing about this distinction for ages now.
JR
ThisIsMyUsername
Yuna

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

kroeajueluo wrote:Is there any widely-accepted coherent definition of classical music (for the purposes of quizbowl distributions that delineate classical music, ex: ACF)? It seems to get somewhat dicey and nuanced when it comes to 20th century works in the orchestral tradition. A mixture of google + HSquizbowl forums have not found me any previous discussions on this.
What are these dubiously classical 20th-century orchestral works that you're talking about?
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
kroeajueluo wrote:Is there any widely-accepted coherent definition of classical music (for the purposes of quizbowl distributions that delineate classical music, ex: ACF)? It seems to get somewhat dicey and nuanced when it comes to 20th century works in the orchestral tradition. A mixture of google + HSquizbowl forums have not found me any previous discussions on this.
What are these dubiously classical 20th-century orchestral works that you're talking about?
in before Boulez Conducts Zappa
JR
ThisIsMyUsername
Yuna

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

vinteuil wrote:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
in before Boulez Conducts Zappa
Yes, Frank Zappa's classical music is classical music. If this album came up as a clue in a Pierre Boulez tossup, that would presumably be fine. But a classical music tossup on Zappa should probably never happen below CO level (if it should even happen at all), simply because the classical pieces he wrote are too obscure. Actually, leaving aside Zappa: the reason not to ask about most classical pieces by non-classical composers is not because they are "not classical music", but rather because as pieces of classical music, they were (with a couple of exceptions) of minimal lasting cultural significance. It's the same reason a poetry tossup on Faulkner is a dumb idea: he wrote real poetry; it's just not of enough importance to be worth asking about.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Zappa's a pretty cool cat. I could see a pretty decent "Other" tossup on him that mixes some of his various genres and activities as clues (which quite frankly to me, is the best usage of "other" in the distribution, but I'll save that battle for another time).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger