Michigan Fall Tournament at Brown, 10/5/13

Old college threads.
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Michigan Fall Tournament at Brown, 10/5/13

Post by Jane Fairfax »

This is the announcement for Brown's mirror of the Michigan Fall Tournament, to be held on October 5, 2013. The main announcement for MFT can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=14484.

The tournament is being held in Wilson Hall (NOT the same building as J. Walter Wilson). Wilson Hall is the same building where ACF Regionals was hosted last year. It is located on Brown's Main Green; the closest parking would be on the streets around that area. A campus map may be viewed here: http://brown.edu/Facilities/Facilities_Management/maps/

We expect the tournament to begin at 9 AM, hoping to have arrivals by 8:30 AM. Registration will take place in Wilson 102. The tournament should go until about 6 PM. Brown is not providing food, but Wilson Hall is only a block away from Thayer Street, which has many options for food and drink.

Fees:
Base fee: $100 per team
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working buzzer, no limit on the amount of buzzers
Staffer discount: -$30 per competent moderator, who reads for the entire day
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way according to Google Maps.
Packet discount: details in the link above

The minimum fee is $40. Please pay by cash or check to "Brown University Quiz Bowl."

Up to six players may play on a team; any more than that, and you will have to register an additional team. Four players will play at a time, with substitutions at halftime. Players must play on the same team all day (no switching from A team to B team). Teams who play with 1 or 2 players will have a discount on the fee, but teams with 3 players will not be discounted.

We are currently capping the field at 18 teams; above this, you will be placed on a wait list. If we have enough staffers, rooms, and interest, the field cap may rise. Please register by emailing [email protected] with the following information: number of teams, number of buzzers, number of staffers, a contact e-mail address, and an emergency cell phone number in case of necessary contact the day of the tournament.

Hope to see you all in Providence.

EDIT: Field cap
Last edited by Jane Fairfax on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Re: Michigan Fall Tournament at Brown, 10/5/13

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Current field:
(School, teams, buzzers, staffers)

Columbia: 1, 1, 1
MIT: 2, 1, 1
Dartmouth: 2, 1, 2
Williams: 2, 1, 0
Penn: 3, 1, 0
Yale: 3, 2, 1
Harvard: 2, 4, 0
Amherst: 1, 2, 0
House Teams: 2
Last edited by Jane Fairfax on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Space for this tournament is filling up fast! Only four spots left. Register soon if you want a guaranteed spot.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

With Penn's tentative registrations and Yale's registration, the field is now tentatively closed. Please e-mail if you are interested and we'll get back to you if the field cap rises enough to accommodate your team.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Field cap bumped up to 18; we have one spot available!

EDIT: Miscounted the number of Harvard teams.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

With Vassar's registration, field cap is full for now.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Vassar's team has dropped and since there is no one left on the waitlist, the last spot will be filled by a house team.

A note on schedule format:

There will be three morning pools, with six teams in each pool. You will play a round robin in those pools before lunch. There will be a rebracket during lunch into two pools of nine, with the top three from each pool going into the top bracket, and the bottom three into the bottom bracket. Ties will be broken on points per bonus. In the afternoon rounds, teams will play six games within seven rounds; those six games will be against the teams you have not already played. Games from the morning will be carried over. There will be three teams with a bye in round twelve (the last round), and one team with a bye in every other round.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

UMass has regretfully dropped, so there will now be two (rather vapid) house teams.
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

In this circumstance, doesn't it make a lot more sense to have no house teams and run a 16-team schedule in which more rooms have scorekeepers helping the moderators? (2 brackets of eight; seven game prelims with lunch after round 5; rebracket for four crossover playoff games, final if necessary)
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Congraulations to the Penn A team, which cleared the field. Harvard A and Yale A tied for second place.

Stats are also up:

Prelims:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Combined:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Georgetown Day School 2012
Brown University 2016
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

Hey everyone! Thanks for a fantastic tournament; I was very nervous about getting it right, and I wanted to give gratitude to those who made it running this tournament much easier.

First off, thanks to all the teams that came - I hope you were satisfied with the tournament's running. I apologize for the late start time - in the future we will stick to our announced starting time more strictly and hope to get that running more smoothly. This is also a reminder not to discuss the set, since it has not yet been cleared for discussion. There are mirrors next week, at the very least, and might be more afterwards (not sure).

A huge thanks to everyone from out of town who read for this tournament today - Onema Ahmed, Matt Jackson, Nick Jensen, and Cameron Orth. You guys coming in saved this tournament. Special thanks to Matt for being basically a consultant on how this tournament should be run. A just-as-equally big thanks goes out to my freshmen staffers - Leo Cooper, Thomas Culver, Steven Hines, Rohith Nagari, Ryan Walsh, and Denise Yoon. Even though I told them they'd probably be able to play, they came out after the last-minute change anyway. Thanks a ton guys, and I'm incredibly grateful for having you on this team. Also thanks to Samantha and Abid for coming out and reading a few rounds each, even if they were both busy today otherwise, and Justin Byrd, who came in the morning despite being sick and unfortunately couldn't staff.

Finally the biggest thanks goes out to Daniel, who besides keeping stats all day basically directed this tournament as much as me. I probably would have been dead if he hadn't been there to help me. Thanks a ton!
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Yeah, this was really fun to read for, and ran pretty efficiently besides. Many thanks to Lloyd and Daniel for agreeing to run it!

I am wondering if Michigan folks can set up, or have set up, a secret discussion forum for the set. It was certainly a fun set to read and conducive to a rip-rollicking good time, but i think there's a lot of things that must be addressed in some venue.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

I'd like to echo the sentiment that this tournament ran very well. I'm glad that even with the graduation of Guy and co., Brown continues to be an active member of the northeast hosting rotation. A round of thanks to Lloyd, Daniel, and all the rest of the Brown team!
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This tournament was a blast to play as a two-man team, and I had some really intense and fun games (I'm looking at you, Yale B and MIT B). Thanks to everyone who showed up, and thanks to Brown for running an excellent event.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Just noticed this, but the stats for this tournament seem to indicate that MIT A defeated MIT B 440-130, but MIT B lost to MIT A 0-0. Also, apparently neither team heard any tossups in this game.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21