Collegiate Novice 2013 Mid-Atlantic at Maryland (9/28/13)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Collegiate Novice 2013 Mid-Atlantic at Maryland (9/28/13)

Post by DumbJaques »

The Maryland Academic Quiz Team will be hosting a mirror of the Collegiate Novice tournament on Saturday, September 28, 2013. This tournament is specifically geared for players new to quizbowl, or new to collegiate quizbowl. Please note the key differences in procedure/fee structure/elligibility outlined below. For more information, see the global announcement at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14462.

To register, email me at [email protected]. Feel encouraged to post in this thread as well, but registration only counts when you send me an email.

Fees and Discounts:
$15 base fee per person ($60 for a team of 4)
-$5 per WORKING buzzer system (we may cap this discount on a per-team basis if we reach overflow capacity).
-$5 travel discount (150 miles)
-$5 moderator discount (this is available only to readers, and is subject to my approval)
Minimum fee: $10 per person ($40 for a team of 4)

Schedule:
The tournament will take place in Jimenez Hall and will start at 10 AM. Registration will begin at 9:30 in Jimenez 0105. We expect the tournament to run quite smoothly and to finish by the late afternoon (~5:00 PM).

Eligibility Rules:
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Procedure for applying for special permission to play:
1) Email Andrew Hart at hartam (at) gmail (dot) com.
2) State which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible.
3) List when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible.
4) State succinctly why you want to play.

Logistics:
Maryland football is mercifully off this weekend, so logistics should be a breeze. You should park in Lot 1 or Lot Z, which is free all day on the weekends and a short walk away from Jimenez. Consult this map pdf for reference: http://www.transportation.umd.edu/parki ... isitor.pdf

Lot 1/Lot Z is the large parking lot immediately above the lightning bolt box reading "Top Level of Union Lane Garage Eastside." Note that I do NOT mean it is immediately above the actual location of Union Lane Garage on this map, where there is obviously a building and not a parking garage; please do not attempt to drive your vehicle into Cole Field House and park in the lobby. Lot 1/Z is above the actual text box.
Jimenez Hall is located looking out onto the mall, immediately to the left of McKeldin library. It is thus also across the street from the Stamp Student Union (though it is shielded from campus drive by the Health Center).

Food is plentiful, either at Stamp (Chick-Fil-A, Salad Works, McDonald's, Panda, Sbarro, Moby Dick's) or on Route 1 in the shopping center just south of campus (Five Guys, Chipotle, Jason's Deli, Noodles & Co., Garbanzo, and of course Ratsie's, which is precisely what you'd expect a venerable College Park institution to be about).

Please email me with any questions/concerns. Looking forward to seeing many old/new faces.

Running Field:
Maryland House 2-4
Johns Hopkins 2
Delaware 1+
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Re: Collegiate Novice 2013 Mid-Atlantic at Maryland (9/28/13)

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Would anyone coming be interested in a mirror of TAMIL following this?
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

This tournament happened. Congrats to Johns Hopkins for winning it. Maryland A got second place. Stats will be up soon.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Stats are available at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ned_stats/.

Thanks to the (few) teams who made it out for this event. I was pretty disappointed not to see a number of area teams - GW, Mason, Penn, Penn State, Princeton, etc. etc. - though I gather at least Mason is pretty much defunct. But seriously, this event is the best way to introduce someone to quizbowl available to college teams; it's a bummer only 5 people got to experience it at this site.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

There was allegedly a Missouri Open mirror at Penn State on the same date: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=14748

I doubt this tournament ever happened or ever had concrete plans in place to happen, and I regret not challenging the announcement of "a mirror of a summer open, that has already been widely played, during the school year, with no information on eligibility and no follow-up ever posted" when it went up due to not wanting to have another "civility" explosion. Anyway, the confusion engendered by such an announcement may explain the absence of, at least, PSU itself, and possible some other teams within driving distance of them.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

For what it's worth, there are "stats" uploaded for that Missouri Open tournament that don't work.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

There was a data file uploaded showing that CMU, Haverford, Pitt, and two Michigan teams played the tournament. So it did happen, though I still wonder whose brilliant idea it was to schedule it against Novice and give no updates at all as to its progress.

Edit: I've extracted and posted the stats.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org